Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Playing Conditions and World Chess Championship

• 3 years ago · Quote · #41

Musikamole

Vivinski wrote:

What does the cable from the clock to the board register?

Excellent eyes! Smile

I see you are from Holland. My neighbor is from Holland, and my mother was born in Holland. Love the country, and the people. 

Here again, google has failed me! I am watching a replay of game one between Anand and Gelfand. Link to video: http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/

Nigel Short is fun to listen to.

Yes. There is a cable connected to the clock, and I can't find that clock sold on the internet, not yet. Anyone know what the cable does?

My guess is that it is a data cable, linking the time on the clock that the players are using to some master clock that the audience sees, and the audience is in a theatre setting with a big glass separating the players from the audience.

Kinda sad to see this wall of glass, since there is no glass seperating an orchestra from the audience, and when attending a symphony, everyone knows to behave, NOT bring crying babies, and NOT clap between movements in a symphony!

If you have ever been to an orchestra concert, and I mean one like the London, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. - well - you can hear a pin drop on carpet during the quiet sections in the music, and yet there are no pins that drop. It is the best behaved audience in the world.

Too bad a chess audience can't be that well behaved and trusted for such a world class event.

I wonder if there are microphones picking up the sighs, grunts and moans of Anand and Gelfand? To only see them live, but not hear them - I don't know - that would be a disappointment. 

We have had some real classic moments in big time chess, like the time when Kasparov made a huge blunder, and his expression was one for the record books!

The Big Blunder by Kasparov, playing against Anand in 2007.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #42

gambit-man

Musikamole wrote:
    gambit-man wrote:
    goldendog wrote:

This is a better angle.

I played with the same equipment recently at a weekend tournament. Nice to play on, certainly better than the green/white vinyl roll-ups (although they are stored flat) we're used to on the weekend scene here in Scotland. You get over the nice finish of the wood after just a couple of minutes and the contrast, although not as good as the green/white, is more than sufficient. Having said all that, i lost a won endgame against an inferior opponent after my concentration was broken.

In Scotland, is that common at some tournaments to have the leaders play on the nice wood tables and boards? It would create more spectator interest, I would think, seeing the wood tables and boards on a stage, knowing that the tournament is decided at that location. 

Yeah, along those lines.

Our federation, Chess Scotland has invested a fair bit of money on 8 of these sets, each weekend tournament organiser pays a small fee to use them, i think almost all do. I think I heard someone call them 'DGT boards', and i certainly have heard them called 'Sensory boards'. The idea is that they can be broadcast live, there was a weekend tournament in Prestwick Airport just last weekend where GM Sulskis came over to take part and do a simul etc. The link to watch the games is here http://www.chessscotland.com/livegames/Prestwick2012/r1/tfd.htm Have a look, it'll give you an idea of what the viewer can see.

This particular tournament had 3 sections (Open, U1850, U1450), although 4 sections is the norm here. As you might make out from the games there, the top 2 boards from each of the U1450 and U1850 sections, and 4 from the Open were broadcast. 

I'm not intimate with the equipment, but i believe the cable is to connect the clock to the board, the board being where the brains are. I assume the board is also able to keep track of the timings, and broadcast them with the moves and diagrams. Sorry, i'm no techie.

They're very nice to use, and when walking into the playing hall for the first time, you know instantly where the top boards are.

They're not entirely reliable though, these problems seem to eminate from the computer running the data, or possibly with internet connections etc, i couldn't say for sure. There is no interference to the players so far as i can see. There only seems to be one of the arbiters who knows how to use them properly, and when he's not there, problems take ages to resolve.

It's all very nice to be playing on the top boards, especially in the later rounds, and there is a concensus around the weekend scene for a donations pot to help fund them. I just hope they (we) don't spend too much on them, they might be 'old hat' before long

• 3 years ago · Quote · #43

gambit-man

The clock, i believe, is the DGT XL which is also used in our weekend tournaments.

They're readily available over here http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=lcc&Category_Code=chcldig

The one you want is second from bottom. We use ones of the same colour as used in the WCC, I'm not sure if you can choose your colour

• 3 years ago · Quote · #44

jerrycrabill

so,who is Josh?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #45

nameno1had

Musikamole wrote:
    goldendog wrote:

Same gear as this?

I think you nailed it. Well done. These chess sets embedded in tables look smaller than the common 20 x 20, but it could just be an optical illusion.

I am going to google the price of a table/chess set. It's probably not cheap, even at the low end.

This looks like a nice one for the home, but it ain't cheap at $695.00. It would be like buying a piece of furniture.

I like it. I would have it in a second. My wife wouldn't like it though. I would find a good spot for it. BTW, nice axe...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #46

Bronco70

• 3 years ago · Quote · #47

Vivinski

Ahh so there actually are electronics in the board, pretty cool, players wouldn't even press the clock I imangine

• 3 years ago · Quote · #48

Musikamole

nameno1had wrote:
    Musikamole wrote:
    goldendog wrote:

Same gear as this?

I think you nailed it. Well done. These chess sets embedded in tables look smaller than the common 20 x 20, but it could just be an optical illusion.

I am going to google the price of a table/chess set. It's probably not cheap, even at the low end.

This looks like a nice one for the home, but it ain't cheap at $695.00. It would be like buying a piece of furniture.

I like it. I would have it in a second. My wife wouldn't like it though. I would find a good spot for it. BTW, nice axe...

My wife and yours, sadly, think along the same lines. My wife also doesn't understand the value of a big screen tv and surround sound. Laughing

As to the tech support, thanks so much for explaining the clock/cable combination, sensory board, and all the other tech wizardry. I will check out the links.

I started watching the opening ceremony for the world championship here: http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/vid-archive?vid=1120

It starts out with chess history, art, and culture. Awesome stuff. It certainly feels like a really big event from watching it. As a band and orchestra teacher, and music lover, the playing of the Israeli National Anthem for Gelfand and country was beautiful. I've heard the composition several times in my career, and have always enjoyed the melody.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #49

Conflagration_Planet

jerrycrabill wrote:

so,who is Josh?

Waitzkin.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #50

Musikamole

Back to playing conditions, has anyone played a chess game with the same time control as the world championship matches? I never have.

120 minutes for the first 40 moves

Add 60 minutes after move 40

Add 15 minutes +30 second increment after move 60

---

That gives one a really, really long time to think on each move!

What is the common time control for long games at your local club? Mine is G60, with no increment. One hour per side, then the game is over. No extra time for hitting 40 moves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #51

gards1964

We routinely play 30/90 with 1 hour SD 5 sec del.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #52

spassky

DGT Chess Clock

Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 4 x 2 inches

Looks like the clock spans 3 ranks, therefore, 7.5/3 = 2.5 inch squares. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #53

spassky

From the DGT website:

The DGT Electronic Chessboard - Accurate and fast chess move input device for your computer.

• Play with genuine wood against your favorite chess program or an internet opponent.
    • Broadcast chess games over the Internet. Ideal for tournament presentation.
    • Let the computer analyze games while playing a human opponent.
    • Automatically store games in the memory of the board while you play, and retrieve the games as PGN later.
    • Beautifully-inlaid wood board with official FIDE tournament-size squares (5.5 x 5.5 cm).
    • Board only 1.8 cm thick. The same as a normal chessboard.
    • Classic Staunton Wooden Chess Pieces with a king height of 95mm (3.75").
    • Possibility to connect a DGT XL Clock.
    • Modern, reliable, sensor technology recognizes each piece accurately and fast.
    • Each piece is identified by color and type. This gives you extra reliability in fast blitz games and makes setting up chess positions very easy.
    • Internal memory (for 500 moves).
    • Simply connects to USB or serial port of your PC.
    • Driver CD included for Windows XP/Vista/7 (32 and 64 bit).
    • Supported by many chess programs.Click here to see a list of these programs

5.5 cm = 2.16 inches, so not quite 2.5 inches as I estimated in my previous post.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #54

gambit-man

the clock doesn't span the 3 squares - you've lined up the bottom edge on the near end with the top edge on the far end

• 3 years ago · Quote · #55

Estragon

The DGT board and clock can be linked to a computer to transmit the position to a wall projection - like the old-fashion demo boards - or over the internet, these are what is used to broadcast these tournaments live.

It can also be used to play a computer program without inputting the moves other than on the board, or to enter your games in a database while replaying them on the board.

New I think they are rather pricey, but you can pick up one cheaper on eBay if you are patient and watch for them (make sure it is from a reputable seller).

• 3 years ago · Quote · #56

Estragon

goldendog wrote:

This is ridiculous, but you get used to different standards, or at least tolerate them. Kaspy v. Korchnoi.

That picture is rather typical of a large weekend Swiss event.  Usually the top boards would be separate, but not necessarily on better equipment.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #57

Musikamole

spassky wrote:

From the DGT website:

The DGT Electronic Chessboard - Accurate and fast chess move input device for your computer.

Play with genuine wood against your favorite chess program or an internet opponent. Broadcast chess games over the Internet. Ideal for tournament presentation. Let the computer analyze games while playing a human opponent. Automatically store games in the memory of the board while you play, and retrieve the games as PGN later. Beautifully-inlaid wood board with official FIDE tournament-size squares (5.5 x 5.5 cm). Board only 1.8 cm thick. The same as a normal chessboard. Classic Staunton Wooden Chess Pieces with a king height of 95mm (3.75"). Possibility to connect a DGT XL Clock. Modern, reliable, sensor technology recognizes each piece accurately and fast. Each piece is identified by color and type. This gives you extra reliability in fast blitz games and makes setting up chess positions very easy. Internal memory (for 500 moves). Simply connects to USB or serial port of your PC. Driver CD included for Windows XP/Vista/7 (32 and 64 bit). Supported by many chess programs.Click here to see a list of these programs

5.5 cm = 2.16 inches, so not quite 2.5 inches as I estimated in my previous post.

Outstanding work. The DGT board it is! Thank you!

Thanks again to Estragon for help in this matter. Smile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #58

Musikamole

gards1964 wrote:

We routinely play 30/90 with 1 hour SD 5 sec del.

I don't know what 30/90 means. Do you mean, G30 and G90 time controls - medium and slow?  I know that SD = Sudden Death.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #59

goldendog

30 moves in 90 minutes.

When I began USCF play 40 years ago, the larger local tournaments were 45/2 hours, 30/1 hour 2nd tc affairs. Saw a few adjournments too.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #60

gmanlloyd

The purity of the game is much more important than the price of the pieces.

Post your reply: