Forums

Playing many games doesn't improve rating

Sort:
peterdubec

First, I want to thank everyone who responded constructively and relevantly (a huge thanks to waffllemaster but to many others as well) no matter what their rating is. Of course my aim was to get relevant advice from players better than me. I doesn't matter if a player is a 1800, or a 1700, I just wanted to get advice from someone who can teach&inspire me not the other way around (I don't think that player can help me get at the level he is not himself).

That's all. In my country there is a saying "The cheapest advice will cost you the most."

I'm quite sad, that there are so many narrow-minded people who get offended and post trash (I didn't ask for anyway!). Maybe they didn't read the content in the box: "Please be relevant, helpful & nice.".

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that posts like "sorry, I don't meet your holy standard, therefore I can't give you any advice you arrogant shallow j*rk" are of any relevance and helpfulness. If you don't like what I posted, why do you react? Do you think I care that you get offended by what I wrote? I didn't mean to insult anyone, and if someone got offended by that I guess they should solve some inner issues.

DISCLAIMER: If someone feels like posting another IRRELEVANT trash, please consider not.

So again, thanks a lot to everyone who tried to help me get better :).

vinsvis

... crickets ...

AndyClifton
Fingerly wrote:

Kasparov's books were generally too short and thin on instructional value. 

Wow...I have no idea what (or who) you're talking about.  I've always found his books to be greatly enlightening; he's my favorite writer on the game.

TheGrobe

Well, it improves the accuracy of your rating....

AndyClifton
peterdubec wrote:

I'm quite sad, that there are so many narrow-minded people who get offended and post trash ...

Hm, that's funny:  I find it delightful. Smile

Fingerly
AndyClifton wrote:
Fingerly wrote:

Kasparov's books were generally too short and thin on instructional value. 

Wow...I have no idea what (or who) you're talking about.  I've always found his books to be greatly enlightening; he's my favorite writer on the game.

What I said about Kasparov's books is probably unfair.  I was basing my opinion on previous experiences, and my knowledge of what he has written is admittedly outdated.  

I went nuts buying chess books at the turn of the century.  I was going to used bookstores for most of what I bought, but I also looked for new books.  In those days, at least in the bookstores I frequented, the Kasparov selections were exactly that: thin and flimsy on instruction.  

The only one I actually bought was Garry Kasparov's Chess Puzzle Book, which isn't even 100 pages long.  I suppose I expect my tactics books to do more.  I don't even recall the other titles that were on the shelves, but they were similarly short and looked unorganized to me, at least when compared to books like Silman's.

I bought well over 100 chess books during that time, most of which I no longer own.  For one, I figured out that buying used chess books means you are getting the books no one wants to keep.  If you want to get better, it's best to avoid the cast-offs.  

You can find great rare books at times, but they also disappear as quickly if you don't get them then and there.  You will rarely find a Silman book at the used book store.  Kasparov's thin '90s books were there in multiple quantities.  Reinfeld's oeuvre was always well-represented, but never his tactics books.

I just did a search of Amazon's offerings of Kasparov's books.  I haven't even seen some of those titles, but I've also been away from the game for several years.  So, if Garry is out there watching this thread from an anonymous account: I'm sorry.  

But I doubt he cares about my opinion, anyway.

AndyClifton
Fingerly wrote:

Not unless you're a lawyer. Laughing

discoweasel

Someone called for a lawyer?

AndyClifton wrote:

Fingerly wrote:

Not unless you're a lawyer. 

AndyClifton

Hey, we wanted a lawyer, not a weasel...oh wait, I guess you'll do. (heehee!)

vincenthuang75025
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
baddogno wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Can all you patzers stop posting.

(I'm only posting to tell you to stop)

Will you shut up you old troll?

This is the second thread I've read today where you've attacked someone for no reason.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just having a bad day, but please stop.

vincenthuang75025
bigegg1000 wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
baddogno wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

This is the second thread I've read today where you've attacked someone for no reason.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just having a bad day, but please stop.

pete321

always have a plan, some goal, no matter if it be good or bad. When you have a plan you automatically calculate and visualise. And watch videos of amazing games....

TheCherusker
dragonair234 wrote:
TasmanianTiger wrote:

Seriously? You are so narrow-minded for not wanted to take advice from lower ranked players, they just might have something to say. At one point in his career Bobby Fischer was under 1800. So advice was not good from him? 

Learn to not be so narrow minded and arrogant. Shame on you.

Good way to put it :)

No, it's a dumb way to put it! Of course I wouldn't take advice from a lower rated player. When Bobby Fischer was rated below 1800, his understanding of chess at that point was commensurate to that level. You must realize that he wouldn't have given you the same advice and insight about chess and how to get better at it, as he would as a GM.

discoweasel

Wait . . . was this a thread involving chess advice or advice on something else?

SmyslovFan

In order to improve, one must play many games of chess. That is a necessary, but insufficient condition for improvement. In order to improve, you also need to identify your weaknesses and do specific work to fix those. 

In the 1980s, Kasparov recommended the following steps to serious improvement:

a) Analyse your games honestly and identify your strengths and weaknesses. These are only in relation to you, not to some exterior metric. 

b) Identify speficic weaknesses. Don't just say, oh, my endgames are bad. Work out which types of endgames have cost you the most points.

c) Work on the weakest part of your game first. Study the games of masters who are particularly strong in that area, and seek out the very best sources for targetted instruction.

d) Evaluate your progress and revise your lists. It's rare that a persistent weakness becomes a strength, but when it is no longer the weakest part of your game, move on to the next weakness. 

ShyamGopal

+1 ,welll sad smyslov

macer75
bigegg1000 wrote:
bigegg1000 wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
baddogno wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Any time you see a thread on a very generalized topic (topics like "post your best miniatures here" are not generalized) that has a lot of comments, more often than not it's because people are arguing in the comment section.

pdve

yusupov's books are also great for learning.

pete321

blitz is not really a good way to measure chess acumen. You have to learn to move fast more then anything else- so you can chose to make multiple pawn moves to clog up the position and force lessor players to burn clock time, you can just make any kind of move to thow your opponent of on time. You can learn trappy lines- etc. Basically you have to learn how to refut lots of nonsense playing in the opening. Take heart Danny Rensch, Keaton Kiarwa, Sam Shankland all have vids of blitz game they have played with the most basic of blunders- forks, skewers, and the like.

pete321

Be picky about who you play - probably avoid people who are rated more then 100 points below you or morea as a loss will drop you 11 points or more, and avoid playing against opening you don't like use that abort button often. And also it is internet chess so you never know if your opponent has someone there with a board set- up or working stockfish. It amazes me how people who play poorly in the opening or play junk moves to eat time suddenly have the most incredible end game technique amazing i t ell you