Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Please show some class

• 2 years ago · #101

AndyClifton

He never said you couldn't act like a jerky adult.

• 2 years ago · #102

timbeau

I've been told that gratuitous abuse is now known as 'banter'. That definition of 'banter' comes not from the OED -or Webster's or Macquarie or The Collins dictionaries- but from those on-line garbage 'dictionaries' that are steadily eroding meaning.

• 2 years ago · #103

AndyClifton

Either that or they are evolving meaning...depends on your outlook.

• 2 years ago · #104

TheGrobe

And on your dictionary.

• 2 years ago · #105

timbeau

AndyClifton wrote:

Either that or they are evolving meaning...depends on your outlook.

I think I know what you mean Andy but I'm not sure evolving is the appropriate word, formed -as it is-  from evolution. 'Evolution' -in most cases- refers to a natural, gradual change in response to environmental conditions (yes, genetically also -sometimes- but genetics is of even less relevance here); it is an impersonal process and is therefore undirected. What I was talking about is a -relatively- sudden change in definition, and that requires agency or choice, which is not evoution, it is a decision.

Have a look at -say- 'The Urban Dictionary' which 'grades' definitions according to popularity and how funny respondents consider them to be.
    'Banter' was the word that got me started. Note also the massive list of  'derivatives' inspired by their definition of banter.
    Of course, I realize this is a work of (supposed) humour. What scares me are not just those who find it a laugh, but those people who already consider it a work of reference.

• 2 years ago · #106

linuxblue1

Bring class to the house.

• 2 years ago · #107

Kruptnick

Smrex13 wrote:

I have recently begun playing on the live chess site.  I'm sure this has been covered many times, but please show some class.  If you are lost, resign and say good game.  I'm sick of having a won position and then having to wait for minutes after you sign off.  We are here to play chess - when you have been outplayed, admit it and resign.  Chess shoud be a gentleman's/gentlewoman's game.  Act like an adult.

Scott

I don't know. I recently played a game where I was winning, but really tired and did lots of blunders especially in the end. The opponent told me I missed a lot of mates, indeed, so if he had resigned as soon as he started losing (having way less material) I would not have been able to analyze my game and see which mates I missed! Some of these, I wouldn't have noticed some even without having been tired, so it was pretty instructing.

• 2 years ago · #108

TheGrobe

timbeau wrote:

Of course, I realize this is a work of (supposed) humour. What scares me are not just those who find it a laugh, but those people who already consider it a work of reference.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

• 2 years ago · #109

timbeau

TheGrobe wrote:
    timbeau wrote:

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I was talking about valuing humour above meaning.

• 2 years ago · #110

AndyClifton

Everybody pay attention to SemanticsBoy!

• 2 years ago · #111

timbeau

Thank you Cuddles: I could hardly have put it better myself. After all, semantics was the issue!
  • 24 months ago · #112

AndyClifton

Well yeah, once you got to work on the case, inspector.

• 24 months ago · #113

Estragon

AndyClifton wrote:

Well yeah, once you got to work on the case, inspector.

Uncooked birds are totally worthless.  These two were hired by the black cat, he should have just eaten them:

• 24 months ago · #114

xavesilva

Class is saying nothing when one clearly wants to or has something to say that with better thought, may be better left unsaid. Clearly there was no class in initiating this post...

• 24 months ago · #115

verybadbishop

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 24 months ago · #116

plevanto

It's funny to find this topic from a player who, after losing to me in a live chess game, sent me a message with title "CHEATER" and accused me of cheating with a rather harsh choise of words. I wrote him back inquiring how he can be sure that I cheat and urged him to report our game to Chess.com for analysis. He never replied. And here the same fellow is bantering about class and gentleman's game.

This forum topic has been locked.