Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Please show some class

• 21 months ago · #21

DaBigOne

You don't HAVE to resign, its not a must if you are in a bad position.

• 21 months ago · #22

theoreticalboy

stevie65 wrote:

Hey streetfighter.. did you play at North Shields last week?

There are chess events in North Shields?!?!

I was born at Rake Lane :D

• 21 months ago · #23

bobyyyy

Smrex13 wrote:

I have recently begun playing on the live chess site.  I'm sure this has been covered many times, but please show some class.  If you are lost, resign and say good game.  I'm sick of having a won position and then having to wait for minutes after you sign off.  We are here to play chess - when you have been outplayed, admit it and resign.  Chess shoud be a gentleman's/gentlewoman's game.  Act like an adult.

Scott

Say "good game"? Are there any two words more boring?

Disconnecting instead of resigning is wrong but I don't think this has been a big problem at chess.com.

A more serious problem is when chessplayers resign too early. It's better to fight until the end and make the opponent earn their win. I have won games after losing my queen. It's always possible the winning side can make a mistake or get in time trouble.

Of course some games are beyond hopeless so resigning would be appropriate. But I would never criticize a player's right to continue playing anyway, unless they were moving extremely slowly even when for example they have only one legal move.

• 21 months ago · #24

zborg

The floggings will continue until morale improves.  Just let it go.

• 21 months ago · #25

TheGrobe

Chess.com standards of sportsmanship:

1. Never resign before you're ready or after your opponent wants you to.
    2. Never resign before your opponent wants you to or at any time after you feel it's apporpriate.
    3. Never turn off chat, never distract your opponent by talking to them.
    4. Never say "Good Game" or "Good Luck", but always wish you're opponent good fortune before a game and praise their play afterwards.
    5. Always reply when your opponent speaks to you, but never initiate conversation.
    6. Always accept a rematch request as the loser, but never issue one as the winner.
    7. Always accept challenges from players rated lower than you, but never issue one to a player rated higher than you.
    8. Never abort a game, but don't disrespect your opponent by playing out a game you don't actually want to.
    9. Always play your best move to avoid losing, but never play for a cheap draw like perpetual check.
    10. Finally, and most importantly, whatever you do, don't swindle your opponent into stalemating you.  You may both draw, but he may start multiple ranting threads about how the rule should be removed in which everyone loses.
  • 21 months ago · #26

zborg

12.  Send candid private messages to your opponent, only after you have blocked their          ability to respond.  Works every time.

• 21 months ago · #27

levi223

how bout we say this, scott... YOU SUCK.

Oh yeah,

13. Never ever leave the game when you are losing

14. Never ever stay on the server when you are losing

• 21 months ago · #28

himath2009

0. Why, sir, I trust I may have leave to speak;

And speak I will; I am no child, no babe:

Your betters have endured me say my mind,

And if you cannot, best you stop your ears.

My tongue will tell the anger of my heart,

Or else my heart concealing it will break,

And rather than it shall, I will be free

Even to the uttermost, as I please, in words.

• 21 months ago · #29

himath2009

Right!... :)

• 21 months ago · #30

Stevie65

16.Cry Havoc....Let slip the dogs of War

• 21 months ago · #31

bobbyDK

joeydvivre wrote:

11. And for God's sake never win on time.  A win on time is nearly cheating.

winning on time is part of the fun in blitz. if you have plenty of time and your opponent wasted a lot of time early. if somebody failed to maintain where clock management - he deserves to lose.

• 21 months ago · #32

bobbyDK

Franken_Berry wrote:

I honestly think many players don't realize that once they give up and leave  the live game their opponent still has to wait for the remaining time to expire before a win is awarded.

I had to wait 8 minutes of after moves 6. I guess my move surprised my opponent but I don't think it was bad sportsmanship from my opponent.
    I don't judge other people like many who think they can set rules everybody has to act on.

• 21 months ago · #33

timbeau

joeydvivre wrote:

I agree with kenpo.  Who gives a crap about this stuff?  I don't like it when people come up with really awful profanity and I report them but the rest of this stuff, I couldn't care less about.

Good on ya sport! Even if there is no shortage in this world of informers, you can't be too careful when it comes to profanity.

• 21 months ago · #34

SPARTANEMESIS

It's true that there's no shortage of whistle-blowers.  As a general rule most military personnel as well as many citizens of NYC (there are others too, these are the first groups that come to my mind) frown on this behavior, of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

• 21 months ago · #35

BillytheKid9

well, after a game with stevie, he had class to resign but he played on for about 20 moves after he told me he would resign.  waste of time

• 21 months ago · #36

Stevie65

Endgame practise! Online for experiment..Tournaments for playing..

• 21 months ago · #37

Stevie65

joeydvivre wrote:
    stevie65 wrote:

16.Cry Havoc....Let slip the dogs of War

Being fundamentally stupid in matters Shakespearean, this is from one of my favorite plays (I can understand it.  I can't understand plays like King Lear).  But it is still a classless rules violation.

Julius Caesar

• 21 months ago · #38

cabadenwurt

" Class on the Internet " --- Oh sure and the next thing you know they will want everyone to wear Tuxedos to the next Clown Convention ( hint: it's not going to Bloodywell happen Pal ) ROFL. 

• 20 months ago · #39

AndyClifton

-kenpo- wrote:

chess, a rather serious intellectual endeavor/sport, probably attracts a more mature crowd.

LOL

• 20 months ago · #40

timbeau

streetfighter wrote:

@timbeau: please learn to spell before mentioning (lack of) proof-reading skills

Sorry Coach. I'll wear the misplaced 'hale' and I will try harder next time.
    You too might benefit from a dip into the dictionary sometime; you don't seem to understand the actual meaning and use of the '@' symbol. Or is that dumb smiley-face actually a wee bit of Scottish irony too deep for the likes of me?
    But hey, so much for nitpicking...
    I must congratulate you on the 'ChessChamp/BHC' image - what a combination! The photo might have worked even better if you were actually out fighting on the street, giving some chess nancy-boy a taste of the old cherry-reds... 
    Maybe next ad. 

This forum topic has been locked.