Forums

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

Sort:
C-nack

No. This guy wins - http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=448689850

ClavierCavalier

The losing team in a sport can always call it quits.  What happens if they stop?  Do the laws of physics change?

Elubas

I generally won't rub it in to my opponent. I'll just try to win the game, in a fairly efficient manner to avoid losing too much energy. Chess naturally takes energy, and the process of winning is not the same thing as the state of most likely being able to win a position. You need that state, but you also need the alertness and energy for the execution as well in case the opponent doesn't resign.

It's sort of like how you may be certainly able to run 100 meters (just an example), but simply don't feel like it. But if you are asked to run those 100 meters, you need not just the ability, but the non-laziness to execute that ability.

ClavierCavalier

Elubas does have a point.  There have been many examples of someone miscalculating something in what would otherwise be a winning game.  I know I've often became too comfortable in a game and missed an important, but easy to stop move.

Scottrf

Stalemate in a 45/45 Undecided

ollave
ClavierCavalier wrote:

Elubas does have a point.  There have been many examples of someone miscalculating something in what would otherwise be a winning game.  I know I've often became too comfortable in a game and missed an important, but easy to stop move.

Agreed. I usually go for the *simplest* win when someone wants to play the game to checkmate. If I ask for a computer analysis of such games, it whinges (whines, in American) and grizzles and *I don't care*. Obviously, if with a little effort I can find a mate in four rather than trade everything off and then have a long drawn out ending, I will. But if there's any chance of confusion or error, I take the simple route.

I find it odd that people I play on this site tend to want to play to completion. But perhaps they want to practice their defence, or even see an example of how to win the endgame that exists. And the practice doesn't hurt me; I've fumbled a bit on some endgames I should have know what to do with efficiently right from the word go.

One thing I _do_ tend to do when mate is 2-3 moves out and the opponents moves are forced is put in conditional moves. Which I intend as a gentle hint that "Hey, you were *so* lost you could have resigned."

But people are allowed to play to completion, and I learned a lesson the day I blundered and put my nephew into stalemate. I'm very careful about that now!

royalbishop
ThrillerFan wrote:

Trying to claim that your opponent is being rude is rude in and of itself.  If your position is that hopeless, it's called resign the game!

R-E-S-I-G-N-S Spells Relief!

It's a little different than say, LeBron James delivering the facial with an in your face slam dunk when Miami is already up by 50.  It's not like the losing team can just pack up and go.  They have to ride it out the entire 48 minutes.

Chess doesn't work that way.  You don't like what you see.  Resign!

When a position should clearly be resigned (I mean "clearly", not "Black's down a pawn, so Black should resign since a 2800 would cream him in this position), I find it rude NOT to resign, and I sometimes will PURPOSELY promote 5 pawns all to Queen, or 5 Rooks, or 5 Bishops, or whatever I feel like doing to rub in the point that he or she needs to resign!

I agree Wink

Sunofthemorninglight

suppose you are playing a cheat and it's 2 moves from checkmate, you're getting thrashed but your opponent gets booted before the mate, would you have felt thick for resigning too early ?

royalbishop
Fulliautomatix wrote:

suppose you are playing a cheat and it's 2 moves from checkmate, you're getting thrashed but your opponent gets booted before the mate, would you have felt thick for resigning too early ?

First i would want him back to give him the whuppin he deserves. 2nd i would want to do it again. 3rd i repeat first 2 previosly mentioned. 4th i would forget that game so quick as it meant nothing. 5th is what i take on those type of situations.

Sunofthemorninglight

and the 6th ?

(just in case it might make any sense)

ClavierCavalier
ollave wrote:
ClavierCavalier wrote:

One thing I _do_ tend to do when mate is 2-3 moves out and the opponents moves are forced is put in conditional moves. Which I intend as a gentle hint that "Hey, you were *so* lost you could have resigned."

This reminds me of this game.  There are several ways to mate here.  Free members get only one line, so I went with the most forcing one just for the conditional moves.  This starts a couple of moves ahead because I thought the black was clever with Ke7, tempting b8=Q??, giving them a stalemate.

This game also uses promotion when already ahead!

royalbishop

nice

ekorbdal

There is an Australian expression which is apt in this situation -

'If a man's down, keep your foot on his neck.'

LoveYouSoMuch

1 1 bullet game, we both did way more than our fair share of nonsensical moves. and we both finished with over 3 minutes...

OMF2097

If I have anything less than two queens and the checkmate isn't obvious then yeah I'm promoting. More than two queens is overkill. lol

ollave

In online games, I prefer the quickest way to win, except when there is a forcing sequence (or more than one) of moves that lead to mate, which I can enter and then ignore the game until it's over. OTB: whatever's quickest.

@ekorbai, haven't heard that one before, but you might like this one. Australian fairness ... for values of fairness: "Don't hit a man when he's down. Kick him, it's easier." Wink (Not that I know if that saying is particularly Australian, but it may be; these days the "never give a sucker an even break" is more likely to be heard.)

DeepCamilo

I think you should Always Need 2 Queens. One Queen makes The Mate and The Other Queen makes a meal for you.

Scottrf

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=567622662

ClavierCavalier

You missed 87... Ne1.

Scottrf

Yeah I saw that after :(