Forums

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

Sort:
ChonleyB

Depends on the situation. If you have a rook or better and your opponent doesn't, then you already have sufficient material. But if in same situation, your pawn is already advanced to the 6th & the king is already on his back rank, then go for it if it makes it easier. But if all you have is a minor piece (or even 2) then go ahead & promote, as mating with a single knight or bishop is pretty well impossible, and takes about 20 - 30 moves with a king & bishop pair. Knight & bishop mate is excruciating, as you first have to drive the king into the cornor opposite your bishop color, and then push him from there to the corner that matches your bishop, which will generally make the game run 100 moves or so. (half that just trying to herd the king)

Rude is when you have a rook & bishop and all he has is 2 pawns, and instead of just going for a mate, you run around and take all his pawns and make 3 queens for yourself. Such is the sort of sportsmanship one would expect from a 9 year old. The goal is mate, get 'er done.

ChonleyB
FirebrandX wrote:
joseph_ward wrote:

My opinion:  If promoting to more queens gives you a faster checkmate, go for it.  If it's just to spite your opponent, it's probably rude.

How can you spite your opponent by promoting more queens than needed? All he/she has to do is resign and there is no 'spite' to begin with. Catch my drift?

And firebrand, I get your point as well, I typically resign once I see there is no hope. but if I'm in a lost game, and all of a sudden my opponent ignores my king and goes unnecessarily grabbing material and trying to promote when the game should be done in 5 moves or less, then I won't resign, I will try to see if the patzer I'm playing ends up stalemating me for a draw.

Or on a similar note, if it was a good hard fought game, and my opponent surprises me with a good checkmating pattern (like one involving a sacrifice or two) I will go ahead & play it out just to be sporting and let him see the final mate he earned from clever play.

nameno1had

How far ahead?

If I am up two queens and could checkmate with my next move but, I decide to promote... yeah

If I could still lose to a savvy player, while I am only ahead by three pawns or less...?

You can do the math on that one...

Scottrf

Some ridiculous posts.

Play how you want. If it makes it easier for you, promote more. If you're simply playing superflous moves to taunt, then yes that's poor manners. But promoting to help your attack isn't.

If you aren't certain your opponent has a win or want to see how they finish, you don't have to resign. I just won from a position I thought about resigning in. Depends on the standard of player.

Too many people trying to tell others how to play.

blowerd

Do not ever under promote to a bishop in this position though. 

danixmt

A long, long time ago (Jan 2012) when I was just a beginner (I am much more advanced now, jk) I was screwing around with a guy that only had his king left. He didn't resign so I thought I would experiment with promotion. I had no thoughts of getting even with him, simply playing around. I was not paying attention at all and upon promotion of my 3rd queen I stalemated the game. I learned my lesson, pay attention! I will probably still mess around again someday and promote excessivly, depending on the circumstances, but always pay attention to the promotion. All the dirty details can be seen here:

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=237244581

DKof
JoseO wrote: . .  I look at that is rubbing it in against another player.

"Rub it in - Rub it in - Let the tingle begin . . . "

bguigz

Winning... Rude?

rickdaniels52

this can be stopped easily by resigning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilbert_78
Reb wrote:
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:
Reb, in the unspoken poker game of chess etiquette then, multiple under promotion is like "raise!"

I agree ..... maybe chess needs a doubling cube like backgammon has in order to make some people resign when they should OR maybe lose twice the rating points when you " double" ?  

Actually... Fritz told me the other day he wanted to double... including a pop-up window... Needless to say, it didn't end very well for me Cry

finalunpurez

@FirebrandX nice game!

nameno1had

I actually think I have to take my hat off to you Firebrand. You managed all of that and didn't accidentally draw. I have no clue why your opponent wouldn't resign, other than maybe to bother you. I guess I might have gotten some bishops and knights too, to practice my mating net skills on a king with no protection.

Metastable

A rather amusing game in a similar vein was posted a few months ago to start the thread below - Firebrand's game brought it to mind:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-showcase/how-to-know-when-to-resign

Tactickle

lol@--a I saw a posted game with 5 knights givng checkmate!

seriously, if someone is getting offended that you are over-promoting to mate them then they should have resigned 5 moves ago.

Immoney5252

Its more rude to continue playing in an inevitable lost position ....so promote and make them pay

lordhypnoz

Once my opponent didn't resign and started fishing for a stalemate ... he quickly changed his mind when I started setting up a pawn mate instead :)

finalunpurez

some people needs to know when to give up.

lordhypnoz
chrisr2212 wrote:

you people don't know the meaning of the word "manners", or how to respect a beginner

It seems you are too butthurt from being humiliated in this fashion ...

Did you play against Firebrand by any chance? :D

And by the way, noone does this to a beginner ... You can easily tell the difference between a beginner and a person who is counting on your stupidity to hustle the half point that he does not deserve...

yourChess
[COMMENT DELETED]
chessblood

This a game where my opponent could have easily won, but decided to promote a pawn.