Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #81

StrategicPlay

thejackbauer wrote: I don't get why you would feel that's rude. You have the right to do play anything you want just like your opponent has the right to play on. I consider it more rude that your opponent does not resign in such a position. Anyways whenever put into that position I would try to get two bishops and practice that mate (it helps to have a back-up pawn somewhere just in case).  .. .. .. .. I agree with thejackbauer. If i were in such a position, I wouldn't hesitate to make a Bishop promotion and try a mate. And even if I do blunder, I promote the other Pawn to a Rook and finish the game. As for your situation, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't make a promotion. It's just another way to win. There's nothing bad in sweet torture, is there?
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #82

StevenBailey13

No- It's sensible! I don't consider not resigning or actually promoting rude.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #83

timothyblack235

Nakamura vs Rybka with eight knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbAzeDxxGuQ

Similar to the game EdwardT2 posted.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #84

II-Oliveira

I just finished a game that is a good example on when promoting more than once is the easiest way to win. Anyone who feels offended when this happens to them should resign before the first queening. I was playing white.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #85

Estragon

I've read the FIDE Laws of Chess and their and USCF's rules for competitions.  I see clauses dealing with intentionally distracting the opponent, but none with making "rude" moves on the board.

If you don't like the moves I make, if they offend you, I invite you to rip your own eyeballs out and stomp those suckers flat so you won't have to see my moves, and then to kiss my buttocks in servile supplication.

Don't like my move?  Deal with it, Vladimir.

Tongue out

• 2 years ago · Quote · #86

BorgQueen

Hahahahaaa!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #87

MrRijndael

I've done it on a few occasions (I mean like promoting to knights and bishops with two queens on the board) but seeing as my opponent would rather make nonsensical moves in lost positions to try and time me out I figure he deserves it!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #88

SimonWebbsTiger

It depends. Against a beginner, I will not promote pawns and mate. In a mad time scramble, I'll queen because of the easy plan/"no need to think" provided to win. Against a similarly rated or higher rated opponent (with sufficient time on the clock) I will promote until they reisgn. As chris2212 puts it: one rude turn deserves another. When you are similar strength and the opponent keeps playing on in a lost position with no tricks (eg. stalemate, a trap, the hope of confusing the winning procedure), he deserves two queens breathing down his neck, fooling him he is going to be stalemated and then delivering mate. He can forget you buying him a pint and talking good naturedly about the game afterwards.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #89

KingHawk

I had a Queen and pawn vs. a rook recently.  I couldn't get him with just the one queen so I made a second queen, made the win a snap.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #90

erikido23

SimonWebbsTiger wrote:

It depends. Against a beginner, I will not promote pawns and mate. In a mad time scramble, I'll queen because of the easy plan/"no need to think" provided to win. Against a similarly rated or higher rated opponent (with sufficient time on the clock) I will promote until they reisgn. As chris2212 puts it: one rude turn deserves another. When you are similar strength and the opponent keeps playing on in a lost position with no tricks (eg. stalemate, a trap, the hope of confusing the winning procedure), he deserves two queens breathing down his neck, fooling him he is going to be stalemated and then delivering mate. He can forget you buying him a pint and talking good naturedly about the game afterwards.

My preferred technique in those situations is to promote the extra queen/queens and keep on hanging them until I once again only have one queen....

THere was one guy I was playing(in a friendly game mind you-when I didn't have that much time) and I was up a rook and a bishop and he kept playing on.  So I resigned, thanked him for the games and went off to talk to some other people in the club

• 2 years ago · Quote · #91

DKof

One always has the extraordinary option of ignoring the dark intent of their opponent and deciding one's move as if; (A) the game of chess has rules and (B) the current position of the pieces is relevant.

Remember ... just 'cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean THEY'RE not out to get ya!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #92

ChonleyB

Depends on the situation. If you have a rook or better and your opponent doesn't, then you already have sufficient material. But if in same situation, your pawn is already advanced to the 6th & the king is already on his back rank, then go for it if it makes it easier. But if all you have is a minor piece (or even 2) then go ahead & promote, as mating with a single knight or bishop is pretty well impossible, and takes about 20 - 30 moves with a king & bishop pair. Knight & bishop mate is excruciating, as you first have to drive the king into the cornor opposite your bishop color, and then push him from there to the corner that matches your bishop, which will generally make the game run 100 moves or so. (half that just trying to herd the king)

Rude is when you have a rook & bishop and all he has is 2 pawns, and instead of just going for a mate, you run around and take all his pawns and make 3 queens for yourself. Such is the sort of sportsmanship one would expect from a 9 year old. The goal is mate, get 'er done.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #93

ChonleyB

FirebrandX wrote:
    joseph_ward wrote:

My opinion:  If promoting to more queens gives you a faster checkmate, go for it.  If it's just to spite your opponent, it's probably rude.

How can you spite your opponent by promoting more queens than needed? All he/she has to do is resign and there is no 'spite' to begin with. Catch my drift?

And firebrand, I get your point as well, I typically resign once I see there is no hope. but if I'm in a lost game, and all of a sudden my opponent ignores my king and goes unnecessarily grabbing material and trying to promote when the game should be done in 5 moves or less, then I won't resign, I will try to see if the patzer I'm playing ends up stalemating me for a draw.

Or on a similar note, if it was a good hard fought game, and my opponent surprises me with a good checkmating pattern (like one involving a sacrifice or two) I will go ahead & play it out just to be sporting and let him see the final mate he earned from clever play.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #94

FirebrandX

You're a rare breed then, ChonleyB. I've never gotten the opponent that would let me play out a nice checkmate attack. It's either an immediate resignation once something like that is started (which is fine with me), or if I'm in the endgame up winning material, I'll often get the sour grapes refusal to resign until one move away from checkmate. Its the latter type that I will then keep them alive as long as possible until they get the hint that what they are doing is also wasting their own time.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #95

nameno1had

How far ahead?

If I am up two queens and could checkmate with my next move but, I decide to promote... yeah

If I could still lose to a savvy player, while I am only ahead by three pawns or less...?

You can do the math on that one...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #96

Scottrf

Some ridiculous posts.

Play how you want. If it makes it easier for you, promote more. If you're simply playing superflous moves to taunt, then yes that's poor manners. But promoting to help your attack isn't.

If you aren't certain your opponent has a win or want to see how they finish, you don't have to resign. I just won from a position I thought about resigning in. Depends on the standard of player.

Too many people trying to tell others how to play.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #97

blowerd

Do not ever under promote to a bishop in this position though. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #98

danixmt

A long, long time ago (Jan 2012) when I was just a beginner (I am much more advanced now, jk) I was screwing around with a guy that only had his king left. He didn't resign so I thought I would experiment with promotion. I had no thoughts of getting even with him, simply playing around. I was not paying attention at all and upon promotion of my 3rd queen I stalemated the game. I learned my lesson, pay attention! I will probably still mess around again someday and promote excessivly, depending on the circumstances, but always pay attention to the promotion. All the dirty details can be seen here:

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=237244581

• 2 years ago · Quote · #99

JoseO

I sometimes do that against my computer when i get into a won game and want to see how many queens can i get without stale mating but i dont do that against another player. I look at that is rubbing it in against another player.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #100

DKof

JoseO wrote: . .  I look at that is rubbing it in against another player.

"Rub it in - Rub it in - Let the tingle begin . . . "

Post your reply: