Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #101

bguigz

Winning... Rude?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #102

rickdaniels52

this can be stopped easily by resigning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #103

Wilbert_78

Reb wrote:
    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:
    Reb, in the unspoken poker game of chess etiquette then, multiple under promotion is like "raise!"

I agree ..... maybe chess needs a doubling cube like backgammon has in order to make some people resign when they should OR maybe lose twice the rating points when you " double" ?  

Actually... Fritz told me the other day he wanted to double... including a pop-up window... Needless to say, it didn't end very well for me Cry

• 3 years ago · Quote · #104

pellik

It's only rude if you don't allow your opponent to promote his pawns as well.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #105

FirebrandX

So I got that opponent that refuses to resign today. I took the opportunity to test my skills in avoiding stalemate by promoting every pawn I had left with only ten seconds remaining on my clock. It was actually quite the fun little exercise!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #106

finalunpurez

@FirebrandX nice game!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #107

BorgQueen

ROFL FireBrandX ^_^

• 3 years ago · Quote · #108

nameno1had

I actually think I have to take my hat off to you Firebrand. You managed all of that and didn't accidentally draw. I have no clue why your opponent wouldn't resign, other than maybe to bother you. I guess I might have gotten some bishops and knights too, to practice my mating net skills on a king with no protection.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #109

Metastable

A rather amusing game in a similar vein was posted a few months ago to start the thread below - Firebrand's game brought it to mind:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-showcase/how-to-know-when-to-resign

• 3 years ago · Quote · #110

Tactickle

lol@--a I saw a posted game with 5 knights givng checkmate!

seriously, if someone is getting offended that you are over-promoting to mate them then they should have resigned 5 moves ago.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #111

FirebrandX

Shadowknight911 wrote:

at a scholastic state championship event last year, one of my friends, a 3rd grader rated about 1800 at the time, played a first round game against a 900 player and decided to promote all his remaining pawns.  5 queens plus a rook against the king.  A tournament director admonished him afterwards for not mating his opponent while it was simply 1 queen and rook. 

Had I been there, I'd have admonished that tournament director for telling a kid how he should play his pieces. That's none of his f---ing business. Nowhere in the USCF rules book for TDs does it say they can reprimand chess moves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #112

Immoney5252

Its more rude to continue playing in an inevitable lost position ....so promote and make them pay

• 3 years ago · Quote · #113

lordhypnoz

Once my opponent didn't resign and started fishing for a stalemate ... he quickly changed his mind when I started setting up a pawn mate instead :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #114

finalunpurez

some people needs to know when to give up.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #115

lordhypnoz

chrisr2212 wrote:

you people don't know the meaning of the word "manners", or how to respect a beginner

It seems you are too butthurt from being humiliated in this fashion ...

Did you play against Firebrand by any chance? :D

And by the way, noone does this to a beginner ... You can easily tell the difference between a beginner and a person who is counting on your stupidity to hustle the half point that he does not deserve...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #116

yourChess

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #117

chessblood

This a game where my opponent could have easily won, but decided to promote a pawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #118

FirebrandX

chessblood wrote:

This a game where my opponent could have easily won, but decided to promote a pawn.

No, it's a game where he blundered the win on the last move with Qa1

• 3 years ago · Quote · #119

Ocky

Follows the rules, hence cannot be rude.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #120

Vladimir_Kent

Well, I think that you should'nt totally leave the pawns to rot. make sure that they can promote if you need to, but if you just run 'em up the board and promote, then you have more chance of drawing. believe me, i've lost a good deal of points that way.

Post your reply: