Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Promoting pawns when you are ahead in material...Rude?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #61

AlCzervik

jcsm1th wrote:
    Loomis wrote:

delcarpenter, no. For example, match play in golf. When one player is ahead by more than the number of remaining holes, they do not finish the round.

In bridge it is common to "claim" the rest of the tricks instead of playing them out when you hold a hand that will obviously win the rest of the tricks (e.g. all trumps when no one else has any).

I'm not sure that this is completely accurate.  

In match play, there is no option for the losing player to continue and no chance for him to win.  The game has been decided and is thus over.  In chess, while the outcome may seem a foregone conclusion, it is not an absolute (stalemates, blunders, etc.).

With regards to bridge, the same holds true.  There isn't a chance for the other players to win, and thus the winning player essentially shows his hands and proves that he has won the remaining hands.  This is closer to accurate than your golf analogy but still falls short with regards to certainty of outcome.

delcarpenter, match play in golf is somewhat similar to resignations in chess. While the quoted post is true regarding this (match over), there have been situations where one resigns previous to the match being declared over. For example, if one is down 7 with 8 holes to play.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #62

firstknight527

i had an experience that i have my a queen,1 rook and 2 pawns andmy oppenent still wants to play and and doesnt want to resign ,i can make a quick mate but i decided to advance my 2 pawns to make a pawn mate , its his choice not mine.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #63

flatters1

firstknight527 wrote:

i had an experience that i have my a queen,1 rook and 2 pawns andmy oppenent still wants to play and and doesnt want to resign ,i can make a quick mate but i decided to advance my 2 pawns to make a pawn mate , its his choice not mine.

I think I would have made a quick mate if it was clear to me how...  More satisfying...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #64

bsabbath62

basically if you feel you cant win with the material you have , then go for another queen. never however just pile the queens on for spite.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #65

BorgQueen

What about to pile the queens on just for FUN?!

I almost did this to a friend who has the attitude of "NEVER EVER EVER EVER Resign... fight to the bitter end".   I was pushing four pawns down the board while his king had five squares to move to and that was all he could move.  I stopped short of getting queen number 2 before I decided I couldn't do it to him any more and put him out of his misery.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=48933720

• 3 years ago · Quote · #66

AlCzervik

BorgQueen wrote:

What about to pile the queens on just for FUN?!

I almost did this to a friend who has the attitude of "NEVER EVER EVER EVER Resign... fight to the bitter end".   I was pushing four pawns down the board while his king had five squares to move to and that was all he could move.  I stopped short of getting queen number 2 before I decided I couldn't do it to him any more and put him out of his misery.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=48933720

I didn't look at this link, but I know exactly what you mean. I played against a couple players that would not resign when all they had was a lone King.....what a waste of my time.

Now, I can understand those that go far into the game, because blunders may happen that can turn the tide thisquick. However, in instances like BQ and I have described, there is no reason to continue.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #67

Chess4001

just resign. lol

• 3 years ago · Quote · #68

joseph_ward

My opinion:  If promoting to more queens gives you a faster checkmate, go for it.  If it's just to spite your opponent, it's probably rude.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #70

OldScribe2010

I believe you should try and win the game as quickly as possible, as long as doing so doesn't compromise your position and possibly cost you a win. I've actually Queened two pawns before because my opponent still had a very active Queen and I was so low on material that it would have been difficult (or impossible) to checkmate.

What's rude and unprofessional, however, is "toying" with your opponent when you have the game already sewn up. I'm sure in some parts of the world, that will get you hit in the mouth.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #72

II-Oliveira

ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Perhaps this thread asks the wrong question.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=19617389

Was that stalemate intentional or you just missed it?

112.Nf2# would win. Obviously you could win much earlier...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #73

AlCzervik

ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Perhaps this thread asks the wrong question.

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=19617389

Ha Ha!! While looking at this game made me laugh, it's not funny if the opponent doesn't resign. As I wrote in a previous post, a waste of time.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #74

browni3141

If you have to promote multiple times to continue enjoying the game, go for it. I can't imagine how it's rude if your opponent can end it any time he wants to. Mating with a KQ vs. K isn't fun at all, so make the game interesting with K+3N vs. K or something like that.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #76

flatters1

I think we're done here.  Can we close this?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #77

goldendog

If we lock it now how can some guy bump it in 2014 with their ground breaking insight?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #78

EdwardT2

There's always THIS game by Nakamura

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1480850

• 3 years ago · Quote · #79

FirebrandX

joseph_ward wrote:

My opinion:  If promoting to more queens gives you a faster checkmate, go for it.  If it's just to spite your opponent, it's probably rude.

How can you spite your opponent by promoting more queens than needed? All he/she has to do is resign and there is no 'spite' to begin with. Catch my drift?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #80

FirebrandX

OldScribe2010 wrote:

What's rude and unprofessional, however, is "toying" with your opponent when you have the game already sewn up. I'm sure in some parts of the world, that will get you hit in the mouth.

You fail to understand the point. If your opponent knows he is lost and knows you can easily handle the mate, isn't he actually "toying" with you? I could just as easily claim you'd also get hit in the mouth in some parts of the world for doing that.

Post your reply: