Forums

Queen's and Knight's Movement

Sort:
manavendra

What would happen if Queen is given additional mobility like a Knight to move in a triangular way? Knight's opening games, Queen's gambit opening's would be much interesting then.Laughing

DAchessmaster99

indeed, but that would make the queen extremely powerful. for example, a queen that could move like a knight cou mate a lone king without help.

musicalhair

I think it is cool that the closest squares to the queen that she can't get at are the ones the knight can get at.  So, I like the separation of powers the pieces have.

galabob

I thought you were bored with chess?

Frankdawg

If a queen was given the ability to also move as a knight, games would be a lot shorter and complex b/c defending against such a powerful attacking peace would be insanely hard if your opponent knows how to use it.

Major holes would be put in every opening and players would need to change strategies around.

Look at it like adding modern stealth bombers to both sides of WW1 and imagine how much the battlefield would need to change b/c of this new threat.

manavendra

@Frankdawg: We can use the knowledge gained in the previous set of rules, to further enhance our skills to play chess under new sets of rules.

@galabob: I am trying to regain my interest again in Chess, however depressing that may sound, but I will not quit.

Information processing on an OTB game is worth exploring!!

trysts
galabob wrote:

Yes, and depressed? Now manavendra is playing fairy-tale chess.

manavendra
trysts wrote:
galabob wrote:

Yes, and depressed? Now manavendra is playing fairy-tale chess.

Why do you always live such a rule-based life?

trysts

I don't.

galabob

Me neither!

Knightvanguard

Please - never give the Queen the power of a Knight, because then it would never be possible to fork the King and the Queen and win the queen.  That power alone makes the knight the "Joker of the chess broad."

Knightvanguard
markkong wrote:

It would be possible, just use something to protect the knight.

True, but still that would rob the knight of its power to do it alone. 

manavendra
markkong wrote:

A rose is a circular rider, and it takes a while to see which squares it can go to, so a rose might be able to capture an elephant, although it cannot move like a queen.

Who is rose? Seems like we have some new metaphysical pieces on the board now.Laughing

bomtrown
manavendra wrote:

What would happen if Queen is given additional mobility like a Knight to move in a triangular way? Knight's opening games, Queen's gambit opening's would be much interesting then.

Queen + Knight = Quight.

Knightvanguard
bomtrown wrote:
manavendra wrote:

What would happen if Queen is given additional mobility like a Knight to move in a triangular way? Knight's opening games, Queen's gambit opening's would be much interesting then.

Queen + Knight = Quight.

That is just too much power for a female.   I do like: Quight