Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Question about 2013 vegas chess festival

• 22 months ago · Quote · #21

Conflagration_Planet

I was thinking about going to Vegas in June. Perhaps I'll go see all the chess heads.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #22

ThrillerFan

ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Yes, it's the premier non-Goichberg Open of the year. Fred Gruenberg did a great job building it up to what it is today.

@Grumblesmurf Good job, great result!

I must say though, I think the Goichberg tournaments are better for a couple of reasons:

1) Number of rounds - 6 is a little low for a major tournament, should be 7 or 9.

2) They need another couple of directors.  The one thing I found really annoying was tha all the directors were sitting in the back, the Open section was up front, and I was at the lower boards in the Open, which meant I was right by the open area where the aisle and front row met, so what do I get?  People getting every f'ing round.  I spoke to the TDs multiple times, and eventually getting to the point of having at attitude at the TDs.  You tell them once in a Goichberg tournament and they are on the culprits!

3) They have anti-sandbagging policies.  If your rating was 30 points or more above the section limit at ANY POINT in the last year, you are limited to a certain amount (usually $1500).

I'm sure I'll go back at some point, but not this year.  This year I'm doing the Chicago Open and the US Open.

BTW, there was no Ozzie in the cross table, so obviously it's not your actual name.  How did you finish?  I didn't face you, did I?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #23

Estragon

ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

They only solve the money problem, they don't (can't) address the rating point issue.

True, but if they prevent the sandbaggers from winning large prizes, what possible incentive is left to sabotage your own rating?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #25

ThrillerFan

@ozzie_c_cobblepot - If it helps, I can give you a brief description of the games.  If none of these sound at all familiar, then we clearly didn't face.

(Color indicates the color that I was, not my opponent)

1 - Black - Caro-Kann - some wild tactics down the center, especially on e6, but ultimately, White had too much for Black to survive, grabbed a pawn in the ending, and simply won.

2 - White - Modern Defense - Wild game that looked good at first for Black, but a Bishop move around move 30 or so secured the draw.

3 - Black - Tarrasch Defense - 18 move miniature, Black got smashed

4 - White - Dutch Defense with 2.Bg5 - game seemed a little odd, but then White used a pin tactic on the c-file to win a couple of pawns, and eventually the game.

5 - Black - Caro-Kann - very wild game where Black had the won position until, given literally 2 legal options on move 40 to get out of check, Black chose the wrong move.  Go the other way and Black wins.

6 - White - Nimzo-Indian Rubinstein with 5.Nge2 - While Black tries to execute on the Queenside, and White's Dark-Squared Bishop is shut in for most of the game until it gets to b4, White proceeds to sacrifice a Knight on g6 for 2 pawns and rolls all over the Black King.  The game all told only took about 30 moves.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #27

Estragon

I'm guessing Ozzie was joking on that one, Shadowknight911.  It's a heads-up game keeping up around here.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #28

shepi13

Well I was one of those improving players playing above my category (U1700) at vegas this december, but sadly I decided to actually play above my category (U2100). I didn't play terribly, and got quite a few won games, but blundered and failed to captialize and scored 2/7.

I also scored 0.5/1 in the open, a game that was played because I was given a full point bye in the U2100 section (that's how bad my score was).

• 22 months ago · Quote · #29

shepi13

I think I did play Jefferey, and a few other kids but most of them I think were older than 13. I'm not an adult, I'm 17 right now, and was 16 then.

Here was my game vs Jeffery in the U2100 section

• 21 months ago · Quote · #30

chessgdt

I know this is 10 days old, but I'm just gonna say, their raffles and tournament is awesome. I won a handcrafted wooden chess set off that raffle in 2012, and I turned up as a cash winner.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #31

MrEdCollins

I've played in eight different National Opens, and in each of the past three.  It's probably my favorite tournament.  I've always had a lot of fun each time I enter.  (Of course, eight National Open's is nothing.  A LOT of players can say they've played in a LOT more than that!)

For many years I thought it was a great value, but lately the entry fee has slowly gone up and up and up and I no longer think it's a good deal.

Two years ago I was called to the stage prior to one of the rounds.  It seems the year PRIOR they asked for suggestions for improvements.  I gave them some (I forgot doing so!) and they liked them so much I was awarded a $100 cash prize the following year.

A word of advice for ANY tournament - If you enter with the goal that you're going to win money, you will usually be disappointed. It's not easy winning money at any chess tourney.

However, if you enter with the goal that you intend to have a good time, meet some new people, and have some interesting and entertaining chess games, then you will almost always SUCCEED in your goal.  To me, winning anything is always a bonus.  It should NEVER be your primary goal.

The very large Opens, including the National Open, are interesting.  On one hand there are players who play in the event each year, and for some it's the only tournament they play in.  To them it's something they look forward to each year, and they often bring their wife and kids and make a vacation out of it.  Consequently, these players often don't play regularly and will play a bit down from their rating level.

On the other hand there are players who DO "sandbag" and play only for the prize money.  And yes, at these large tourneys you will find players who are much stronger than their current rating.

This year I will probably pass on entering.  I've been playing a lot of backgammon lately, instead of chess, and there's a backgammon tournament in Los Angeles that same weekend.  :(

• 21 months ago · Quote · #32

waffllemaster

MrEdCollins wrote:

A word of advice for ANY tournament - If you enter with the goal that you're going to win money, you will usually be disappointed. It's not easy winning money at any chess tourney.

However, if you enter with the goal that you intend to have a good time, meet some new people, and have some interesting and entertaining chess games, then you will almost always SUCCEED in your goal.  To me, winning anything is always a bonus.  It should NEVER be your primary goal.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, my primary goal at a tournament is to be able to take home some good lessons... play my best, make some mistakes, and learn.  Like you said if I happen to win anything it's just a nice bonus.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #33

Grumblesmurf

Well, I'm signed up for the open. Only issue is that the USCF site seems to be refusing any EU credit cards, so I can't renew my membership! If anyone else is playing and fancies a coffee / beer, be happy to see other people from this site.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #35

eddysallin

Just left vegas. Went down col. river, walked skywalk and canyon floors. PLayed bigmoney black-jack(200.00 a hand).Two shows--circus o'la.Flew  helcopters. On my way to disney and hershey park.Then wash. d.c. for white house and two mounuments (linc and wash.)Each of the pas years 3 i've run down my buckets list and this is the end of my mine.

Post your reply: