10568 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
1. Try to answer this in 30 seconds: Your opponent has just moved something from a white square. You immediately capture it on a black square. What you captured must be:???????
2. Among Mikhail Botvinnik's early claims to fame was:(a) Playing checkers when he was 3(b) Playing three games of chess blindfolded when he was 10(c) Playing a Mozart piano concerto when he was 12(d) Playing the lead role in The Importance of Being Earnest in high school.
3. In 1996, Bobby Fischer cited Gata Kamsky, Vladimir Kramnik and Vishy Anand as proof of:(a) The decline of creativity in the middle game(b) How you can become world-class without mastering the endgame(c) Studying openings by computer leads to weak eyes and thick glasses.(d) Tall GMs beat short GMs.
2) b, (3-games blindfolded at 10yrs)
3) Defentlly (a or b), ..... I'll go w/... (a) decline of creativity
1. is partially correct.
2. and 3. are incorrect.
The answer to 1. is going to be controversial which I didnt comtemplate when I wrote the question. I will let the quiz run another day.
1 could be a knight or a pawn or a rook or a queen.
1. Anything but a king or bishop
2. b. 3 game blindfold
3. a. decline of creativity
Scottrf, I got this question from Chess Life Dec. 2006 in a quiz by Andy Soltis. Soltis says the answer is a knight and a pawn. But obviously you are correct when you wrote ---1 could be a knight or a pawn or a rook or a queen.
sirrichardburton, 1. is correct.
2. and 3. are not.
You can't move a king into check.
easy you never capture the king,merely mate him
I think, in answer to the question,--- Try to answer this in 30 seconds: Your opponent has just moved something from a white square. You immediately capture it on a black square. What you captured must be: anything but a bishop or a king.
The bishop because it stays on its own color and the king (because one can't capture a king in classical chess.)
Well my 2nd try on 2. and 3.
2.c. M.K. playing Mozart when 12
3. c. Tall GM beating short GMs
The answer to #2 is
d. Playing the lead role in The Importance of Being Earnest in high school. Botvinnik talks about this in his autobiography "Achieving the Aim".
The answer to #3 is
(c) Studying openings by computer leads to weak eyes and thick glasses. Fischer cited this in support of Fischerandom chess.
gee i'm glad i never had this test in college,i bombed.....
Only real chess nerds would know the answer to these questions. At least you gave it a shot!
Of course, by 1996, Fischer was already certifiably insane, claiming amongst other wild and false things that all the moves of all five Karpov-Kasparov matches were prearranged.
When you have been screwed over and over again like Fischer, Reshevsky and other Western masters, perhaps there comes a time when one believes everything the Russians do is a lie and a phony.
Perhaps Fischer wasn't as paranoid as we are led to believe.
Alexandra Kosteniuk Beautiful Woman of Chess
by Conquistador a few minutes ago
by Crazychessplaya a few minutes ago
Invite to be friend
by jac1yn 3 minutes ago
How do I have a group no longer in use deleted?
by sleeping-beauty 4 minutes ago
If You were Doing Life Which 5 Books Would You Keep To Make Your game Strong?
by Somebodysson 6 minutes ago
by jac1yn 6 minutes ago
Stuff Non-Chess Players Say
by akafett 6 minutes ago
what the #$%^was he playing and how did he win?
by badger_song 8 minutes ago
1. d4 Nf6
by repertuar 20 minutes ago
Anand vs Carlsen: World Championship match thread
by Crazychessplaya 27 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2013 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!