Forums

Rating?

Sort:
GreenLeaf14

I was playing an opponent with 1420 elo in blitz and i was at 1349 he won me and he got +64 elo points.... (1484).Why did his elo increased so much while if i won i would probably gat about 9 points more but not 64????Cananyone tell me why this happened?Thanks in advance:)

Boletus_CZ

I guess he didn`t play many games before the one with you. You can read something about the Glicko System used by Chess.com here

philidorposition

It's because his "rating deviation" (RD) value was higher. RD gets lower as you play more games in a limited amount of time. This is for users to achieve their accurate rating for their current level more quickly if they have been inactive for a while or are just starting.

Scottrf
JoseO wrote:

first, he beat you not won you.

The rating changes depend on a lot of factors. One factor is the realibity of the rating itself. Someone who plays a lot of games daily and does not have a long lapse in play has a more reliable rating that someone who plays very infrequently and only plays a small number of games. It could be that the person you were playing had very few games played so the variable resulted in such a wild change.

depending*

reliability*

Don't criticise grammar unless yours is of a higher standard.

Boletus_CZ

Scottrf, I agree with your point but since I think "changes" is the plural for change "depend" is not a mistake. Wink Or is it?

Scottrf
Boletus_CZ wrote:

Scottrf, I agree with your point but since I think "changes" is the plural for change "depend" is not a mistake.  Or is it?

Actually I think you are right, but that both are correct. Depending would be used to refer to rating in the singular, or depend to the plural changes.

Scottrf
JoseO wrote:

Given the fact that he has a flag from Greece, english may not be his primary language. I was just trying to point that out.

Well you had an American flag so I guessed you might have some problems with English too.

netzach
Scottrf wrote:
JoseO wrote:

first, he beat you not won you.

The rating changes depend on a lot of factors. One factor is the realibity of the rating itself. Someone who plays a lot of games daily and does not have a long lapse in play has a more reliable rating that someone who plays very infrequently and only plays a small number of games. It could be that the person you were playing had very few games played so the variable resulted in such a wild change.

depending*

reliability*

Don't criticise grammar unless yours is of a higher standard.

Nothing wrong with ''depend'' & post is understandable despite typo.

Who is critiscising grammar here?

Yourself Scottrf?? Smile

Scottrf

Hardly picking on you, probably misunderstood the reason you corrected him and it may be genuine, just people criticising someone's mistakes usually annoys me. Anyway, this is off topic and boring, have a good day pal.

SolitaireBat

With all due respect, Scottrf: Jose made a slight typo in _one_ word, while you've been trying to correct an inexistent grammatical mistake. The sentence in question needs a predicative, doesn't it? Since when a lone gerund will make a predicative? Pray, what tense is the sentence supposed to be in?

Really, you should practice what you preach. Otherwise... you put yourself up to be corrected by ESL speakers ;D

SolitaireBat

Incidentally, Scott -- you have a really impressive FIDE rating. LOL! :D  Poor Kramnik, he's got his work cut out to catch you...

SolitaireBat
[COMMENT DELETED]
Changu

Gosh are we still talking ratings here or grammar.and this glecko system this site uses,is it also fides way of doing.it would be nice to do it as fide does so that we feel in tune.wouldnt you agree?

Jedoch

If you had read the nerd wracking article on Glicko as explained by Prof. Glickman, the creator, Glicko is way off better in assessing one's rating than the outmoded Elo Rating which was developed by Arpad Elo in 1960s.

Therefore, I suggest that we maintain the present system, Glicko Rating over the Elo Rating. 

Btw, critiques should be done to correct not to criticize per se. I stand corrected. 

PawnPromoter316

The suggestion of "depending" is totally wrong in that sentence, and it's not the singular of "depend" - "depends" is.

The rating system "depends" on ... (singular)

Ratings depend on ... (plural)

Just sayin:)