Forums

Relationship between Chess rating and I.Q?

Sort:
nameno1had
ponz111 wrote:

In poker luck only is a factor in the short run. Intuition is what?

In poker on the internet you cannot bluff via how you look.

Very good math ability helps in poker.  Also, you must be able to

memorize every card played that you can see.

Also perserverance is very important and by that I mean being sharp on every hand for a long period of time.

I used to win a lot of $ at online poker but then when my ability to stay very alert waned so did my winnings until I started only breaking even and then quit the game.

BTW, if you think intuition is luck or chance, that is completely wrong. We can sit and debate it's origins, but I'll go with my intuition on this one, that it won't reach an answer that satisfies us both...

BruceJuice

Intuition comes from experience.

At any rate whether IQ is correlated or not it's worthless if it isn't utilized correctly.

nameno1had

BruceJuice wrote:

Intuition comes from experience.

At any rate whether IQ is correlated or not it's worthless if it isn't utilized correctly.

I had my intuition warn me about many more serious things as a rather inexperienced and naive child...

Kikkinass

Hello everybody, I work for a advertising firm, and me and the IT director play on this site. He is by far smarter than me, but i'm way better than him at chess. With that said, I would think a person anyone for that matter, would great at what behooves them 

zborg

Well said Darrell.  Nice Avatar too.  Smile

kiwi-inactive

I believe I have already tackled a similar topic, http://blog.chess.com/kiwi_overtherainbow/the-invisible-gorilla-formula-to-success 

Kikkinass

Thanks Zborg

uwinagain

Blimey! you all sound like very clever people to me!

For me I think it's more to do with the adrenalin rush of the fight;

or struggle, if your me?? and enjoying it.

Nothing to do with IQ..   I Think?  Smile

Knightly_News

It could also be argued that truly intelligent people don't waste their time on Chess.   Maybe it is possible that a high-functioning autistic person could show no other signs of worldly or practical intelligence, yet have mastery of chess.  

Many intelligent people are lopsided in their intelligence - e.g. strong in some kinds of things at the expense of others.  So is that really genius?  The geniuses I've respected most were generally very good at many things, including humanistic endeavors and interpersonal relations.  But some people would consider the emotional imperfect realm of social interaction stupid.

Intelligence doesn't instantly translate to chess wizardry.  A highly experienced chess player of a lower IQ should generally be able to trounce a genius that has little interest or exposure.  

Really intelligent people are probably confident enough in themselves to not bother replying to a thread like this. :-)

nameno1had

Chess is only a sport if you play on a  board so large that you have to carry the pieces with great effort from square to square and have a time limit. I have seen a park where they do it, and there are a few others too. Here is one. In San Clemente California :

S an Clemente, CaliforniaSan Clemente, California San Clemente, California

netzach

You are unfamiliar with mental-sporting contests then? So make assumption that all sport involves is physical-brawn??

The mind (brain) is a physical organ like any other that may be exercised through sport.

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

You unfamiliar with mental-sporting contests then? So make assumption that all sport involves is physical-brawn??

What separates a game from the a sport is the physical aspect...shall we make sport of this ? lol

In my mind there is a difference and I have to draw a line somewhere... certainly the terms can be used interchangably, but I think sport better describes a  more physical type of game, while a game is more mental...when they are good combinations of both, it isn't such a big deal to me...at least I am consistent...Cool

netzach

Well. We know what you think then. Have you considered the part the mind plays in your definition of sport? (physical-oomph) ie: Tennis or Boxing.

Kingpatzer

I find it interesting that people think there is not a physical aspect to chess. I know that OTB tournaments tire me out considerably, and Kasparov attributed much of his longevity to his rigorous physical training to ensure that he had the physical endurance to perform well. 

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

Well. We know what you think then. Have you considered the part the mind plays in your definition of sport? (physical-oomph) ie: Tennis or Boxing.

That's part of the reason I enjoy a good game of tennis or playing my boxing game...I am getting too old for that sport...

netzach

And the majority of chess GM's retire for the exact same reason before the age most quit other vocations.

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

And the majority of chess GM's retire for the exact same reason before the age most quit other vocations.

I wish in my early 20's I'd have moved to Russia to become a chess boxer...wow, many of the women in the western part, of the Former Soviet Union are absolutely beautiful....

netzach
nameno1had wrote:
netzach wrote:

I wish in my early 20's I'd have moved to Russia to become a chess boxer...wow, many of the women in the western part, of the Former Soviet Union are absolutely beautiful....

Very true and they seek talented chess-players for boyfriends normally:)

nameno1had
netzach wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
netzach wrote:

Very true and they seek talented chess-players for boyfriends normally:)

Considering I prefer the female model/tennis player types, they'd have to just get over how it felt to want...

I'd settle for a good looking female chess player...though I enjoy tennis

netzach

Almost all the top players nowadays indulge in physical-sporting activity to help their game. (as someone else also mentioned)