Forums

Relationship between Chess rating and I.Q?

Sort:
blake78613

Super intelligent people are often non-competitive and rather lazy.  I guess they have nothing to prove.  While intelligence certainly is an asset for chess, a will to win is more important.  Super intelligent people tend not to excel at chess or anything else unless they become motivated, then watch out.

nameno1had
blake78613 wrote:

Super intelligent people are often non-competitive and rather lazy.  I guess they have nothing to prove.  While intelligence certainly is an asset for chess, a will to win is more important.  Super intelligent people tend not to excel at chess or anything else unless they become motivated, then watch out.

I concur. If you are really intelligent, you see the end and the journey before you even start, it sort of takes away the thrill of the unknown. I tend to get caught up in all of the things I want to avoid, so I use other things that are still cerebral, yet on a certain level rather trivial to occupy my time(like chess,wine making,writing music). However, I am sure that the economic class of the really intelligent person in question, will go along way to determine how active they are and what they delve into.

fetchingimage
I hope there isn't a relationship! Lol.
Cret1n
Deranged wrote:

If there are 3 groups: gifted, average and handicapped, then I must be handicapped because I'm only 1700 rating :(

1700 OTB would put you firmly in the 'normal' category along with everyone else  here. Anyone with an I.Q > 100 should be able to reach an OTB rating > 1200 (say about 1500 here at chess.com) with enough self study. With coaching I'm sure they could be as much as 500 points higher.

Those who would like to imagine that academic prowess is a more accurate indicator of intelligence than chess rating would do well to consider how the 'dumb guy who always outplays them at chess' would do if he was either motivated to sacrifice years of his life toward an academic path, or if he had the same environment as the person who judges himself superior.

I have known very few truely gifted individuals but can cite a few mere 'chessplayers' for the egotists here with low ratings & high I.Q's to compare themselves... Dr.Greg Hjorth [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Hjorth ] & Ralph Seberry [ http://unauthorised.org/ralph/danny.html ] who both died long before their time :(

nameno1had
RedSoxpawn wrote:
if that were true then my IQ is already higher than your weak GM's, but my rating would say otherwise

I have the same thing happening, but how much of chess is simply preparation? Having already learned something, doesn't necessarily make you smarter the someone who hasn't tried the same thing.

Aside from this, I find raw intelligence difficult to isolate. We can only seem to test it based on what we have learned, but that doesn't make wisdom the same as intelligence.

DrSpudnik

Definitely.

Definitely a couple hundred dollars...

kco

double posting ? I am seeing this alot from you nongxha lately, what's up ? 

DrSpudnik

sounds like someone still has dial-up!

DrSpudnik

Laughing

tonifa

I think that there is a correlation  IQ/chess strenght, but, like with language, if you start to play chess old then someone who started earlier can play better even if he is less inteligent.  And , of course, training methods , hard work  and enviroment must be add to the equation 

Queen_of_Knight

A lot of good points made here...too many to quote them all.  I'm relatively new to the game of chess (about a year), but I think chess is largely about spatial-temporal reasoning, which effectively is a faculty of intelligence.  A few things: 1. Men are generally better spatial-temporal reasoners, (of course there are exceptions), while women tend to be better at language or analytic reasoning (of course there are exceptions), and this is evidenced in the physical differences in density of the corpus callosum of male and female brains.  2. A variety of activities require spatial reasoning, so things such as driving, math, listening to Mozart, even...enhance spatial reasoning, and those who perform well with numbers, are good drivers, or are classically trained in music, etc., can also perform well in chess.  Having said that, I think the only underlying factor here is enhancing that spatial temporal reasoning, which like anything else, can be done with work!  If you can do that, your chess vision will also improve. Combine that with dedicated study of the game and I see no reason why anyone couldn't excel at it.  

Queen_of_Knight

Ciljettu, that's simply not true.  It has been disputed but certainly not discredited.  In fact, it's been supported in recent years more so than ever before with the use of physiologic imaging and MRIs, which have produced consistent and significant differences in male/female corpus callosum structure.    

Queen_of_Knight

Ciljettu...As a woman who speaks three languages fluently, I can respectfully disagree with you :) haha.  Yes, I have scholarly links to support this, but they're through my university (clinical psych student), so I can't exactly post links that would be visible to all.  Wiki has a nice summary of primary sources on this, though.  The section on MRI's has a few...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_callosum#cite_note-17

Queen_of_Knight

Ciljettu, no problem.  I too have a bad sense of direction...but I'm not sure that involves much spatial reasoning at all..(this I have not researchered though...)...BUT, spatial reasoning has more to do with your manipulation and interaction with the surrounding objects in space.  So think of it like this:  If you're driving, lost on a city road, you're not surrounded by the objects (the familiar objects, that is) necessary for you to navigate through in order to guide you back home, but it's not spatial reasoning's fault.  You still use spatial reasoning while manuvering the vehicle around the unfamiliar location through the unknown surrounding objects.  You may even avoid an accident, or remain lost for hours, driving around aimlessly ... (all of which involve the use of spatial reasoning).  I'm honestly not sure, but I think a good sense of direction is largely based on memory, or if you've never been to that particular location, your ability to correctly read a map, or if all else fails, a good GPS ;)

Knightly_News

When I am playing well I will be the first to tell you that I am a friggin' genius.  When I am playing badly (and by higher-rated player's standards, I always play badly), I am simply having a bad day.

orsmir

I really don't understand all the debate- there either is a correlation or there isn't. The anecdotal stuff shouldn't even factor in, as correlations are about an overall pattern and outliers will always occur.

This should be easy to look up, and I seem to remember there being a weak or possibly nonsignificant correlation between IQ and chess rating. But I'm too lazy to do so myself (another thing IQ doesn't take into account).

Dodger111

The only relationship between chess and IQ is this:

Really good players will be intelligent, BUT being very intelligent does not mean you will be a good player.

A lot of very smart people suck at chess, but I've never met a dimwit that played a good game.

blake78613
joeydvivre wrote:

"I really don't understand all the debate- there either is a correlation or there isn't."

Because if there is a relationship it has to be linear and it has to be best decsribed by a correlation?  It's not possible that there is any non-linear relationship between IQ and chess skill or that some other copula best describes the relationship?  

If there is a correlation, I see no reason why it would have to be linear.  It is possible that there is a threshold level, and also that at some point the law of diminishing returns would set in.

Master_Po

Einstein had an IQ of 160.  Kasparov one of 180-190. Bobby Fischer 187.  A dean of a college I once knew - 80.   

Arnold Schwarzenneger 135.  George Bush and Ronald Reagan 96. 

There's definately a correlation.   Here's a very close formula for your maximum rating -  10 x IQ plus 1000.   Of course this is depending on many years of hard, intense study and practice AND a strong desire and love for the game to reach this maximum, started at a younger age.     

http://www.kids-iq-tests.com/famous2.html

http://www.bezbrige.com/index.php/Interesting-Facts/the-iqs-of-famous-people.html

blake78613
joeydvivre wrote:
blake78613 wrote:
joeydvivre wrote:

"I really don't understand all the debate- there either is a correlation or there isn't."

Because if there is a relationship it has to be linear and it has to be best decsribed by a correlation?  It's not possible that there is any non-linear relationship between IQ and chess skill or that some other copula best describes the relationship?  

If there is a correlation, I see no reason why it would have to be linear.  It is possible that there is a threshold level, and also that at some point the law of diminishing returns would set in.

Correlation is a measure of linear association.  There surely could be a curvilinear relationship which you wouldn't measure using correlation.

Correlation simply means that two variables are not statistically independent.