Forums

Ridiculous new "anti-cheating" rule for the World Open.

Sort:
wrcase

@KassySC,

Of course it makes zero sense.  Chess is run by idiots.  The best solution if someone is caught redhanded using a phone to cheat is to ban that person for life from sanctioned chess.  Instead of punishing the guilty, they inconvenience the innocent.

SilentKnighte5
KassySC wrote:

You say take care of my own phone but won't allow me to have it in my bag or on my person. You say I should have a car alarm. Since those are ignored by everybody that would just be burning $100. And if I came by bus I cannot leave it there.

It is in my bag, turned off. After my game is over, I take my bag and go to the toilet. I do not turn on my phone in the toilet. This is apparently against the rules.

OR, I take that same bag and sit in the hallway immediately outside the playing hall. I get out my phone and analyze my game. Dozens of people still playing their game walk past me. This is NOT against the rules.

Makes zero sense.

I covered the nonsensicalness of it 2 years ago.

1. Sit in the hallway right outside the playing hall and turn on an engine?  A-OK!
  2. Go to to the bathroom after your game is over with your phone turned off and zipped inside of a bag?  POSSIBLE CHEATER!

Of course the "I churned my own butter as a kid" crowd had to chime in and mention how you shouldn't have a cell phone anyway so it's not a big deal.

SilentKnighte5
macer75 wrote:

People should protest this rule by bringing their phones and hiding them under their hijabs!

Surprised

Well done!

Graf_Nachthafen
KassySC hat geschrieben:

Is the tournament organizer willing to accept liability if my phone is stolen from my car? Many phones these days cost $600.

No, and he won't accept liability for any gold bars or Van Gogh paintings you leave in your car either. Why would he ?

Coach_Leo

I agree with the OP about the irrationality of the rule singling out the restroom.  If the organizers were serious about preventing engine-assisted cheating, they would prohibit all electronics use by EVERYONE in ALL of the areas accessible by players with games-in-progress.  With such large cash prizes at stake ($20000 for 1st place in the open section), there is a great incentive to cheat.

EscherehcsE

So, I'm guessing the gigantic boycott of this cellphone rule brought CCA to its knees?

Coach_Leo

[Duplicate COMMENT DELETED]

slowdeath22

Well, you just sit in that poop room next to your pal and he slides the iPhone underneath the gap under the door, you grab it and start using the Stockfish app then slide it back to him.

SilentKnighte5
slowdeath22 wrote:

Well, you just sit in that poop room next to your pal and he slides the iPhone underneath the gap under the door, you grab it and start using the Stockfish app then slide it back to him.

This is how Larry Craig got busted.

Esteban_Garcia
Has anybody thought of having two bathrooms? One would be for the player who have finished and the other who haven't.

What a hassle.
camter

I do not have a cell phone. Am I thus compeiled to buy one of the stupid things so I can leave it at home alone.

MarkProb

Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!! Love it. You guys are great !    CHESS RULES !!!

GreenCastleBlock
MarkProb wrote:

Nice contribution.

SilentKnighte5
GreenCastleBlock wrote:
MarkProb wrote:

Nice contribution.

About average for this site, actually.