Forums

Shall be discard stalemates ?

Sort:
Wolfwind

Just beacuse about all chess.com has been blocked by monster , I thougt that we will need a place to continue this most important debate.

whirlwind2011

Perhaps you could shed some light on this subject for me. Why do you believe stalemates need to be eliminated?

Wolfwind

the_villa
whirlwind2011 wrote:

Perhaps you could shed some light on this subject for me. Why do you believe stalemates need to be eliminated?

An earlier thread by monster saying we should abolish stalemates
link here http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/stalemate-rule-needs-to-be-abolished and Monster didn't like people who said it should stay so blocked them so you need to ask Monster why he want them abolished

TomBreakfast

stalemate

the_villa

People gave him reason why stalemate should stay but would insult them and then didn't like it when he got it back

whirlwind2011

@the_villa: I am familiar with his opinions, but I specifically asked about Wolfwind's. Why does he believe stalemate should be abolished? I want to know his thoughts on this issue.

Wolfwind

I do not ! I am pro-stalemate, just making fun . Pancake !

whirlwind2011

Ahh. I was wondering why you immediately posted a picture of a penguin right after your own post! Wink Sorry, keeping track of everyone's individual opinion on this can be difficult.

pauix

K2015

of course not, why not abolish goals at soccer or touchdowns at football? shall basketball quit the basket from courts? so we can't quit stalemates from chess. no matter to discuss!!!

oinquarki
echecs06 wrote:

What a fascist hungarian pig he is!

Holy crap dude!Laughing

oinquarki
pauix wrote:

"Hey Bill - is that another stalemate thread over yonder?"

xqsme

Are we sure any blocks were for no other reason than disagreement ? The actual thread is still  alive and well with some good points emerging .Suggest all could take another look before further vitipurative condemnation.

pauix
xqsme wrote:

Are we sure any blocks were for no other reason than disagreement ? The actual thread is still  alive and well with some good points emerging .Suggest all could take another look before further vitipurative condemnation.

If someone blocks you, you can't enter the forum threads he created. Monster banned a lot of people to prevent them from discussing.

xqsme

Ah yes I missed on that..the blocked ones can't look back,except reflectively . Others can form an opinion... suppose its now up to " monster " to remonstrate .

the_villa
echecs06 wrote:

I agree, monster with no name is a jerk who has blocked everybody who disagreed with him on his thread. What a fascist hungarian pig he is!

blake78613

The reason the stalemate rule should be changed is that there are far to many draws in Grandmaster chess.   In the last Candidates matches there were 27 draws out of 30 games.  It would be like the only way to win a boxing match was to knock out your opponent.  A lot of one-sided matches would be scored as a draw.  One remedy for this would be to score a stalemate as a win.  Personally I think a more interesting way would be to score a stalemate as 3/4 of a win.  It certainly makes more sense than having the next World Champion decided by a blitz game.

xqsme

Having now myself done some more  backreading  of original thread I find that the idea of altering the values given to stalemated results   was already mooted by  OBIT in post 385. However I would still prefer to demote those values rather than increase the value of a stalemate ahead of rating for a draw and the stalemate would still be a loss with the helpless king  handing over his sword.

blake78613
xqsme wrote:

Having now myself done some more  backreading  of original thread I find that the idea of altering the values given to stalemated results   was already mooted by  OBIT in post 385. However I would still prefer to demote those values rather than increase the value of a stalemate ahead of rating for a draw and the stalemate would still be a loss with the helpless king  handing over his sword.

Actually it is first mentioned by Ozzie_c_cobblepot in post 186 which has since been edited.  See post 188 for a quote of the original post 186.