Forums

Shortcuts

Sort:
Ziryab

How can I become a chess master if I devote a full one hour of study every week? Should I study openings, endgames, tactics?

wbilfc

u serious?

lubo

I guess it's possible. Let's do the math. Let's assume you have average or slightly above average IQ. In general people need about 10 years 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to become a master level. That means roughly 10 * 52 * 8 * 5 = 20800 hours of training. Which is about 400 years if you study 1h each week.

You only need to live like 400 year and you'll become a chess master.

plutonia

lulz where did you take that "10 years" figure?

If you have talent you can get to master level much quicker, I would say even in 2 or 3 years. Just my speculation.

I'm talking about CM or FM though.

AlCzervik

From what I've read on this site, one hour a week won't do it.

Razdomillie

I was going to say one hour a day won't be enough, then I saw that you wrote one hour a week...

But what do I know anyway, just have a go and hope for the best :)

Mal-inactiverequested

From what I've heard, the only way is to take your chess set to a crossroads at midnight. A dark stranger will approach you. You set up the pieces and he will make the first move. You will then mysteriously wake up in your bed the next morning with no recollection of what happened in between, but you will now be a Grand Master.

Either that or live for 400+ years.

Ziryab

Thanks Mal. That's sounds like a good plan. My only problem is that Crossroads Mall closes at 10:00 pm. Should I break in? Perhaps I can hide out in the bathrooms during closing?

Mal-inactiverequested

LOL! That really made me laugh! I'm afraid I can't condone breaking and entering but the bathroom thing might just work. Remember to bring some blankets as those mall bathrooms can get kinda chilly. Also, at midnight, don't mistake the security guard for the dark stranger - he's rubbish at chess.