Forums

Sicilian Dragon

Sort:
Pawnpusher3

Hi all,

Recently, I picked the sicilian dragon back up. I have played all the variations of the sicilian (I still use some of them as surprise weapons and sometimes don't even play the sicilian at all). I was wondering what your opinions on the dragon are. The concepts are simple, but is black really, with best play, able to hold off whites attack? Or is white able to overcome the dragon? What do you think and why? 

VanillaKnightPOC

The dragon will never die!

Pawnpusher3

Glad to hear that you still like it Streetfighter :)

Tapcon

It's solid but razor sharp and extremely tactical.  You better know your lines or you will be absolutely destroyed.  No one knows what happens with best play... we haven't gotten there yet.  Very strong players have used it with success though.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1491386

GarySlegg

I used to play the dragon as my normal reponse to e4; however, I was advised to try the accelerated dragon instead as it suited my more positional style of play.

Pawnpusher3

I dont know if I think it w ill ever be refuted. It seems pretty hard to crack if black plays right :)

Pawnpusher3

I dont like the accelerated dragon becauseof the maroczy bind

1RedKnight99

What is the Yugoslav Attack? I have heard about it as a white counterplay to the Dragon.

1RedKnight99
hessmaster wrote:
jrzmath99 wrote:

What is the Yugoslav Attack? I have heard about it as a white counterplay to the Dragon.

its the only thing that even comes close to beating dragon...nothing really can beat dragon

What is the move order though?

Pawnpusher3

Yugoslav is probably easier to play against. You can atill try d5 in it

Changu

Really hate playing against it,and usually i castle kingside and avoid complications but maintain control the centre,oh and try to shut up the bishop with pawn on e5.

GarySlegg
Pawnpusher3 wrote:

I dont like the accelerated dragon becauseof the maroczy bind

It is a strong response to the accelerated dragon; however, it can result in white ending up with a bad bishop against black's good knight.  I'd recommend Andrew Gret's book on the opening.

GarySlegg
hessmaster wrote:

maroczy bind is better than yugoslav attack

I'm not sure what you mean really, the Maroczy bind is normally played against the accelerated dragon, the Yugoslav attack against the normal dragon - they are different weapons against different (albt related) opennings....

Doggy_Style

Fischer liked the Yugoslav Attack:

Pawnpusher3

I do think that the critical point hessmaster is making is that the maroczy bind is much harder to play against compared to the yugoslav attack (even though they are different openings [even though they are extremely related]). Of course, each opening has its pros and cons, so it is just Hessmaster's preference. 

GarySlegg

I must confess, I find the Maroczy bind easier to play against than the Yugoslav attack - but I guess its down to personal styles :)

GarySlegg

I'm sure if the Dragon had been refuted Carlsen wouldn't keep playing it!!

netzach

That's what there is to like about Caruana (& Carlsen!)

Think you know something then all the rules get flung in the bin...

This is why still like chess.

GarySlegg
pfren wrote:
Powerlevel_9001 wrote:

Kevin Spraggett wrote a book called Starting Out: The Sicilian Dragon for Everyman Chess, pfren thought you read it lol

The book is by IM Andy Martin, I believe.

I was referring to GM Spraggett's blog, where he claims that 9...Bxg4 is a good move (no real analysis, though).

http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.gr/2011/09/monday.html

David Vigorito has done one on the Dragon for the Chess Development series by Everyman - it focuses on defending against the Yugoslav attack.

patricklarrye

wow.. this is very tough for black!!