Forums

Stalemate Should Stay !

Sort:
kco

Don't you think so ? I think is a fair rule for chess.

chessgdt

who says it should go?

kco

one of the troll did Wink

ChessisGood

This is the forum for us sophisticated chess players ;D

Apoapsis

We should just get rid of the rules entirely. That would produce more interesting games.

kco

with the list like that BorgQueen that will be easy for the kindergarden kids to play ! lol 

kco
xbigboy wrote:

We should just get rid of the rules entirely. That would produce more interesting games.

that why we have what is called "chess variants"

RavenWarrior

Of course it should stay! Its vital to chess!!

kco

why do you think is vital to have it ?

RavenWarrior

Its been in the rules forever! Idk how else people would determine what happans when you get in that situation then. Maybe they should make another game mode where there isnt!

Bellomy

I think it should stay, but I don't think people who disagree are trolls.

kco

I think there is a game where you can play without the stalemate rule, but not sure what is called though.

kco
Bellomy wrote:

I think it should stay, but I don't think people who disagree are trolls.

you're right but I was talking about a particular person though.

RavenWarrior

Oh, well then why is someone complaining about it? lol. They can just play that way. Anyway, Bellomy is right and my opinion is it should stay.

RavenWarrior

Hmm. What did they do before that?! (for stalemate)

Jett_Crowdis

My friend and I played a variant of chess where the was no stalemate. The rule was, blacks turn was simply skipped and it was whites turn.

I had him in stalemate and we decided to end the game by simply removing the pawn from the board and putting a queen in a checkmating position on the board.

It was quite silly really. 

I do think that something should be done to tone down the amount of draws. I dont think that the rules should be altered, I think that something should be done about the way draws are percieved by the chess world. If draws are deemed as bad and not simply neutral, players would not want to play for draws, they would play to win. 

kco

I notice something in the other thread, he say "the object of the game is to capture the king win" I find that fault because really the object is to checkmate the King win, right ? 

AlucardII
BorgQueen wrote:

I said that in another forum and got nitpicked on the "forever" word!  Apparently, it was introduced in the 13th century ^_^

I thought the other person simply pointed that out, but honestly I can't remember. I should have gone to sleep long ago; the sun's coming up, haha. Perhaps they did nitpick. Either way, hurrah for stalemate!

It's always humbling to blunder your way into a stalemate from a winning position :P

@Jett_Crowdis: what do you make of the 3-1-0 scoring system? In theory, it offers a little more incentive to win, as a win is not worth 2 draws, it's worth 3!

electricpawn

Change the stalemate rule? What temerity! What insolence! What foolhardiness! What perversity! What insubordination! What an iconoclastic suggestion! Rebellion! The lunatics are taking over the asylum! We're all headed down the rabbit hole! Deviant suggestions! Vainglorious buffoons! Luddites! Bolsheviks!

msjenned
electricpawn wrote:

Change the stalemate rule? What temerity! What insolence! What foolhardiness! What perversity! What insubordination! What an iconoclastic suggestion! Rebellion! The lunatics are taking over the asylum! We're all headed down the rabbit hole! Deviant suggestions! Vainglorious buffoons! Luddites! Bolsheviks!

Calm down little electricpuppy!