Forums

Stalemate Sucks.

Sort:
lollolbuddha

I agree with the op Stalemate in Shatrang (the original chess) was also a win,Westerners altered all the rules and destroyed the game :(

blake78613

Since perfect play is unattainable it is hard to understand his point.  Twice Samuel Reshevsky fell into stalemate traps.  If it can happen to Reshevsky it can happen to you and me.

Yorkshire-Grit
paulgottlieb wrote:

Why would he admit defeat? Through your own incompetent play you have destoyed any chance of ever checkmating him. Although you may have had "some level of skill," it wasn't enough to do the job. 

The stalemate rule is the bane of the unskillful and the delight of people who love imaginative play

oh yes real imaginative play with a king left , and nowhere to go, sounds more like a get out of jail free card to me. i play to win, if i can not win i have lost. and i accept it.  i would not feel i deserved to have a draw in that situation. i should loose.  but then again i am a sporting man.

sapientdust
ChessSponge wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
ChessSponge wrote:

Scott:

Neither. The rule should be if the opponent has zero legal moves that he can make then he loses. Simple as that.

Nope. Stalemate fits with the other rules of chess, and the objective of chess (to take the enemy king), losing if you can't make a legal move doesn't.

Not at all. Those rules are what causes the player not to be able to move and not being able to move is what should cause you to lose. It isn't that it "fits" with those rules. It is that those rules stop the player from moving and it should simply, and obviously, be that if you cannot move then you lose.

The objective of chess is to defeat the other player. And in fact taking the other king is not the objective of chess as you never get to take it, the game ends right before you would get to take it.

As I said earlier, chess was modeled after war. In war and move your opponent tried to make ended in their loss, then they already lost. The winning side doesn't say "Wait! He doesn't have any options, let's call it a tie and go home".

Because stalemate is an option, I will obviously use it. And I've gotten draws where I shouldn't have because that rule exists. It isn't that I'm all made because someone got a stalemate on me, the rule simply makes no sense at all and it makes far more sense for the opponent in the stalemate situation to lose, including myself when I've caused a stalemate to tie. I should have lost.

Your argument would have some sense if chess was modeled on war so closely that both players get to move simultaneously and can either choose to move or not move at any time (that's how war is). But chess isn't played that way. It is fundamental to the game that players take turns and that play continues until one player could capture the opponent's king on the next move regardless of what the opponent plays (or one player resigns or a draw is agreed, etc.).

If you want stalemate to be a win, you are asking that one of those two rules be changed, since a win on stalemate would be equivalent (in terms of stopping before capturing the king on the next move) to stopping before your opponent chooses to skip a turn and you would capture his king, or stopping before you would have chosen to make two moves in a row and capture the opponent's king.

...as Scottrf basically said already.

sapientdust
Scottrf wrote:

I don't think it's counterintuitive at all. It's a rule that you can't move into check and you're never able to take 2 moves in a row. If your opponent is not in check you aren't threatening to take the king and therefore can't win the game.

Says everything that needs to be said about the topic.

dfitzpatrick
[COMMENT DELETED]
ChessSponge

"If you want stalemate to be a win, you are asking that one of those two rules be changed, since a win on stalemate would be equivalent (in terms of stopping before capturing the king on the next move) to stopping before your opponent chooses to skip a turn and you would capture his king, or stopping before you would have chosen to make two moves in a row and capture the opponent's king."

sapient: What you and scott don't seem to get is it doesn't prevent those rules in any way shape or form at all. It would be a rule on condition that if the opponent has no legal moves he loses. In order for that to work those rules HAVE to stay, not change. Having a stalemate be a win WOULD NOT ALTER EITHER OF THOSE RULES. It is complete erroneous to think that it would.

ChessSponge
blake78613 wrote:
ChessSponge wrote:

That said, a stalemate can always be avoided so even though the rule is somewhat silly, you can avoid the rule all together.

How does White avoid Stalemate?  Black just captured White's rook with check.

He avoids it by not getting into that stalemate by playing properly before it ever gets to that moment. You can't put in a position and then say how does white avoid this. You'd have to post an entire game and ask how does white avoid this and look through the game to see where he should have played differently.

ChessSponge
paulgottlieb wrote:

It's interesting that none of the great players in the history of chess have ever seem to have suggested getting rid of the stalemate rule

How many great football players back in the day suggested that they should wear helmets? They actually tended to say the exact opposite.

Typically anytime someone is great at something they don't want it to change as they love how it is. Yet over time things change despite this. Games change, sports change, language changes. So it isn't the best argument.

waffllemaster
ChessSponge wrote:

I will admit that I think a stalemate being a draw is counterintuitive and even when you think about it, it still makes no sense. I believe it should be a win as well.

That said, a stalemate can always be avoided so even though the rule is somewhat silly, you can avoid the rule all together.

Not ture.  There are many wonderful drawing resources in endgame positions utalizing the idea of stalemate  (although I agree the idea of the draw result is counter intuitive).

This next position was from a real game, although the game itself continued with many blunders.  This shows best play as given by Dvoretsky (I trimmed down his notes).

blake78613
paulgottlieb wrote:

It's interesting that none of the great players in the history of chess have ever seem to have suggested getting rid of the stalemate rule

Nimzovich suggested getting rid of the stalemate rule.  He said that chess was like a race in which you had to win by 10 seconds or it was a draw.  While Capablanca didn't suggest doing away with the stalemate rule, he had even more radical suggestion to avoid the death of chess by draw.  Capablanca  proposed adding new pieces and having a bigger board.  Fischer suggested shuffling the pieces randomly.

blake78613
paulgottlieb wrote:

but neither Fischer or Capablanca were worried about stalemates, they were worried about the uncontrolled growth of opening theory that was turning chess into a memory contest.

Fischer's main worry was the uncontrolled growth of opening theory, but that was not Capablanca's main concern.  Capablanca felt that the level of chess technique in general was so strong that you could outplay your opponent completely and still not be able to win the game.  Capablanca's solution was more stronger pieces.  Nimzovich's suggestion to make stalemate a win was in response to Capablanca's and other radical suggestions.  Nimzovich said that you didn't have to make such radical changes to chess.  All you had to do was change the stalemate rule, and there would be less draws, but you would still be playing essentially the game of chess.

Paprika2215

My opinion about stalemate is simple: the player that moved last before the stalemate position is the one to blame for it. And also, I think that if the winning player causes the stalemate, he's not a winner at all anymore - because he caused the stalemate! It's as simple as that, and a real winner wouldn't have caused a stalemate because they look ahead so many moves that they prevent themselves from creating such a position.

So, to summarize: the player that moved last is to blame for stalemate; a winning player causing stalemate isn't a winner at all; a real winner wouldn't create stalemate because they're to good for it to happen. But then again, it's human to make mistakes!

Wou_Rem

Actually in the history of chess there have been times that stalemate was either a win for white and even for black.

blake78613
Paprika2215 wrote:

My opinion about stalemate is simple: the player that moved last before the stalemate position is the one to blame for it. And also, I think that if the winning player causes the stalemate, he's not a winner at all anymore - because he caused the stalemate! It's as simple as that, and a real winner wouldn't have caused a stalemate because they look ahead so many moves that they prevent themselves from creating such a position.

So, to summarize: the player that moved last is to blame for stalemate; a winning player causing stalemate isn't a winner at all; a real winner wouldn't create stalemate because they're to good for it to happen. But then again, it's human to make mistakes!

You are ignoring the effect that changing the stalemate rule would have on endgame theory.  Nimzovich wasn't talking about blundering into stalemate, he was talking about positions were one side has an advantage but not enough advantage to win.   Reuben  Fine and Pal Benko studied  how changing the stalemate rule would change endame theory.  The findings can be found at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalemate

Dodger111

At one time stalemate WAS considered a win , but an inferior, sort of cheesy way to win, and in a few countries it was considered an illegal move and not allowed. In 1807 the London Chess Club  proclaimed it a draw and the rest of the chess world followed the new rule.

I think stalemate should be considered a win too.

ajmeroski

a final position from a game I have just finished. You really think it should be a win for black?

blake78613
ajmeroski wrote:

a final position from a game I have just finished. You really think it should be a win for black?

Yes!!

ajmeroski

And why is that so?

blake78613
ajmeroski wrote:

And why is that so?

If they were playing with stalemate as a mate, then Black would have clearly outplayed White.