Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Stefan Levitsky vs Frank Marshall, 1912: One of the most beautiful moves ever

• 2 years ago · Quote · #21

anurag999

amritaji ,  even after queenz exchange  black was in one piece advantage ....  white was still loosing anyways  ...so he resigned ......and three ways are  by queen and by two pawns.....

surely it was great move:) 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #22

Schillachi

marvelous!!!!!!! also c Nezhmetdinov vs Chernikov, 1962!!!!!! Wonderful queen sacrifice :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #23

sephthegreat

thanks ChristianSoldier007 !!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #24

ChristianSoldier007

anytime! I saw it a while back and was facinated, so I analyzed all the lines I could find and put it up here. Truly a great work of art!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #26

ChristianSoldier007

why do you always have to be a downer pfren?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #28

ChristianSoldier007

why dont you look at the beauty of Qg3 rather than the non-beauty of Qxc3?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #29

StrategicPlay

pfren is like one who criticizes everything but never appreciates anything.

And I criticized your opinions right now.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #30

StrategicPlay

pfren wrote:

While extremely impressive, 23...Qg3! is hardly unique: 23...Qe3! is equally strong (but less impressive), and also Black has four more "pedestrian" ways to win.

23. ... Qe3! doesn't force a mate if White defends his Queen and moves it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #31

shepi13

Nongxha wrote:

Marshall 21 move was Rh6.

I would have played Rxf!!.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #32

grapecheese44

i dont know how that is a good move. why didn'y he take the queen

• 2 years ago · Quote · #34

K2a2

Beautiful move, but I still consider Shirov's Bh3 (as black in the position below) against Topalov in Linares 98 the most amazing move of all time. It gives me goosebumps every time I see it. I would give a new symbol to that move instead of using a handful of exclamation marks :)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #35

KnightOfDaLivingDead

:)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #36

shepi13

• 2 years ago · Quote · #37

raul72

What player in his right mind would have bet on Levitsky. Marshall was one of the top ten in the world. He had played Lasker for the world championship. He didnt do too well but only the elite play for the champiopnship. When Estragon says Levitsky won the Russian championship---the Russian championship was a zero, nada,  a nothing event in those days.

The tournament tables of Breslau 1912 tells a story. Levitsky finished towards the bottom and Marshall finished towards the top.  Everybody remembers Marshall--- and Levitsky is only footnote in chess history.

I very seriously believe the locals were not that stupid. Besides, didnt Carrie, his wife, say the story was ficticious.

Wink

• 2 years ago · Quote · #38

Estragon

raul72 wrote:

What player in his right mind would have bet on Levitsky. Marshall was one of the top ten in the world. He had played Lasker for the world championship. He didnt do too well but only the elite play for the champiopnship. When Estragon says Levitsky won the Russian championship---the Russian championship was a zero, nada,  a nothing event in those days.

The tournament tables of Breslau 1912 tells a story. Levitsky finished towards the bottom and Marshall finished towards the top.  Everybody remembers Marshall--- and Levitsky is only footnote in chess history.

I very seriously believe the locals were not that stupid. Besides, didnt Carrie, his wife, say the story was ficticious.

There was no "top ten" in those days.  Marshall had one credible finish in international play in San Sebastian the year before, but other than that nothing to distinguish himself, while Levitsky had been playing high level tournaments for a dozen years and turned in several good results.

If the spectators were fans of Levitsky, placing side bets on him would not have been unusual at the time.  Of course, it is just not possible that a husband would forget to tell his wife about the extra money he made gambling, even if she disapproved of the habit.

There is no doubt the legend of spectators spontaneously showering the board with gold pieces is untrue, but most legends have at least some grain of truth in their origins, and the exaggeration of a bet being paid off into an appreciation of the beauty of the move seems not much of a stretch.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #39

rockstar_deepan1

fantastic move:)

Post your reply: