Tactics Trainer 2500+

• 11 months ago · Quote · #21

Chessgrandmaster2001

Btw, congrats! 2500 is great!

• 11 months ago · Quote · #22

Xnaicixcision

orangeishblue wrote:
    Expertise87 wrote:

Eh, I know a guy who's 1200 USCF, I showed him one of my 2700+ tactics, and he solved it.

It was also a simple forced mate though.

2500 tactics on here aren't very difficult, and blitz ratings tell you nothing. If a non-master were 2500 on chesstempo I would call BS though.

Would this 1200 have a tactical rating of 2200+ over the long haul? Sorry not a chance. One problem means nothing. I have been a 1900+ player uscf for 30 years and my tactical rating fluctuates but is generally in the 1900's. I might agree with you but the tactical problems here are timed and you are asking me to believe a player with a 1400 blitz rating is 2500 magically in tactics? Uh Uh no way. There is an exploit somewhere in the system.

Alright clarigfication time, I do not play Blitz or standard games seriously on chess.com, I only play online chess seriously and study tactics trainer. These are the only things I really work on Chess.com. My live Blitz rating is only form 2 rated wins. The other count are just unrated games I horribly played when I am bored in my high school french class and I play under my desk 8 5 unrated games. I sit down in front of my 3D board and start doing all my thought process things when playing online chess games (I act as if I were in a real USCF tournament for the practice and don't treat it as correspondence Chess I dont move the pieces either). I haven't lost a single online chess game so far by playing this way. I am very bad at blitz but great at bullet amazingly, oh well I quit them 6 months ago to concentrate on slow play that will help me improve. It's sad to see a majority of chess players wasting time playing blitz and missing the true beauty and ejoyment of analyzing and evaluating chess positions.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #23

C-nack

• 11 months ago · Quote · #24

Xnaicixcision

nice tactic, i was stumped on the first move because many moves looked winning to me and didn't see the Bishop sac on move 6, very good game though!

• 11 months ago · Quote · #25

zBorris

I do a similar thing in a different way. I'm studying what common mistakes are made by players at different levels. The 1200 players and below will often take on the e file in front of their king, allowing a rook on the back rank to trap it. This doesn't occur at higher ratings.

So when I'm playing someone I can see these different kinds of characteristics. It's just interesting to me. I've also noticed that about 10% of the games are either cheaters or strong rated players who are playing at lower levels like myself.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #26

Xnaicixcision

Yes, me too when I play 1700USCF rated players I see bad opening developing strategy compared to the 2000USCF rated who play a very logical opening, no small mistakes.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #27

mattyf9

I've hit as high as 1850, but I still float in the 1600-1700 range.  Been there for awhile now.  I don't think there's any form of chess study I do more than the tactics trainer.  I'd love to hit 2000, but I can't get over my current plateau.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #28

Xnaicixcision

mattyf9 wrote:

I've hit as high as 1850, but I still float in the 1600-1700 range.  Been there for awhile now.  I don't think there's any form of chess study I do more than the tactics trainer.  I'd love to hit 2000, but I can't get over my current plateau.

Try reading DanHeismans Novice Nooks, just google "novice nook" and go through the articles, lots of helpful info there. Lets see if I can get the link................

here you go:- http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Articles/Novice_Nook_Links.htm

• 11 months ago · Quote · #29

plutonia

My max is 2100, even if often times when I had a diamond I would play really tired, as a pastime. My rating drops then.

I would like to see how a 2500 tactic looks like: is it tricky, does it have cool concepts and mechanisms?

I'm afraid they're gonna be just longer lines to calculate, it would be amazing if there were really hard problems to be solved in 2-3 moves.

• 11 months ago · Quote · #30

Xnaicixcision

plutonia wrote:

My max is 2100, even if often times when I had a diamond I would play really tired, as a pastime. My rating drops then.

I would like to see how a 2500 tactic looks like: is it tricky, does it have cool concepts and mechanisms?

I'm afraid they're gonna be just longer lines to calculate, it would be amazing if there were really hard problems to be solved in 2-3 moves.

Not very hard if you have the time and add the effort for 20 min. a day, all you have to do is look for checks captures and threat( the forcing moves). Establish what exactly is going on in the position so you know what to play for. 2500 tactics aren't deep calculation but mostly very tricky as there are a lot of "winning moves" at first glance but when analyzed there really is only one concrete line that works. I would definetly reccomond people to check out Dan Heisman's novice nooks very good matter is dealt in detail. Praise to Dan Heisman! Here's the link:-

• 11 months ago · Quote · #31

plutonia

i was hoping somebody to post a screenshot or 2 :)

• 11 months ago · Quote · #32

Xnaicixcision

plutonia wrote:

i was hoping somebody to post a screenshot or 2 :)

sorry, but what is a screenshot?

• 11 months ago · Quote · #33

topJKMonkey

2499 better than I can do xD

Post your reply: