Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Talking to players


  • 11 months ago · Quote · #1

    Lostplot

    Hi Guys & Gals, I am new to this site so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I do not have facebook or Twitter etc, only email, and wondering if there is a way to talk to other players via email or ? I am from OZ downunder and most times I have played online my opponent is USA based, time zones make for limited playing time and woulkd like to see if opponents are interested in a chat, penfriend style. Is there any way to do it here ?

    thanks, OZ newbie. (Lostplot)

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #2

    trysts

    You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #3

    marklovejoy

    If you chat during a game and the chat is interesting, you might ask if they'd like to continue the discussion off-site through email.

    I've only been here three months, so my experience might be atypical, but usually players don't talk to each other during the gamws.

    Part of it is a courtesy to not disturb a player on the move, just as you wouldn't speak aloud in an actual OTB (over the board) game.

    It can also get awkward if one of you makes a really horrible move and loses badly, like losing a Queen in a game that's only gone seven moves. What can you say then, other than perhaps ask for a rematch?

    Just some thoughts.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #4

    learningthemoves

    trysts wrote:

    You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

    I assume you're taking the bloody piss?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #5

    trysts

    Is that an Australian language phrase?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #6

    brankz

    learningthemoves wrote:
    trysts wrote:

    You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

    I assume you're taking the bloody piss?

    god you know I love australian people. they are just so fun you know? 

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #7

    learningthemoves

    trysts wrote:

    Is that an Australian language phrase?


    Well, it combines two I guess. "Bloody" like "Bloody oath!" and "Taking the Piss". Taking the piss, I think means to have some fun at another's expense, playfully or joking around, just teasing, something like that.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #8

    learningthemoves

    brankz wrote:
    learningthemoves wrote:
    trysts wrote:

    You can talk through messages and notes, but good luck in finding anyone who speaks Australian.

    I assume you're taking the bloody piss?

    god you know I love australian people. they are just so fun you know? 


    Yes! Some of my best friends/mates are Australian.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #9

    britesorb

    Online chess is a good option. Players have days between moves. Easy to chat back and forth since there is no time pressure.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #10

    Lostplot

    Hey Trysts, Thanks ( I think ?)

    I must be up s..t creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle !

    Actually I was brung up proper and spoke English (Australian, now abreviated to "Strine" ) perfectly until Microsoft et al decided to "correct"  everything I ever typed. Thankfully, we can still both spell and pronounce "beer" and live in peace. (or is it peece, or pees or ?)

    Lostplot

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #11

    trysts

    learningthemoves wrote:
    trysts wrote:

    Is that an Australian language phrase?


    Well, it combines two I guess. "Bloody" like "Bloody oath!" and "Taking the Piss". Taking the piss, I think means to have some fun at another's expense, playfully or joking around, just teasing, something like that.

    I thought "bloody" was an English word?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #12

    trysts

    Lostplot wrote:

    Hey Trysts, Thanks ( I think ?)

    I must be up s..t creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle !

    Actually I was brung up proper and spoke English (Australian, now abreviated to "Strine" ) perfectly until Microsoft et al decided to "correct"  everything I ever typed. Thankfully, we can still both spell and pronounce "beer" and live in peace. (or is it peece, or pees or ?)

    Lostplot

    Laughing

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #13

    DrFrank124c

    I love regional dialect. Say something funny in Austrailian dialect.  

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #14

    bobbymac310

    I usually reply to most messages from other players. I will chat between games, but not during the game. Bob

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #15

    Lostplot

    DrFrank124c wrote:

    I love regional dialect. Say something funny in Austrailian dialect.  

    Aussie in USA shop:

    Salesman: Sir, can I help you?

    Aussie: Dunnomate ? I wanna buyan eggnishner.

    Salesman: Do you want cool only or reverse cycle ?

    Aussie: I wannar versicle, emma chisit ?

    Salesman: Well Sir, this model starts at $1500

    Aussie: Strewth mate ! Be like a lizard flat out drinking to pay that  much! Stone the bloody crows, ya think I'm a dill or something?

    Salesman: Certainly not Sir. Perhaps cool only would be better ?

    Aussie: Ya bloody right mate, might just run down tha pub an getta coldie instead, ya bloody galah !

    Salesman: Thanks mate. Ya'all come back now, ya hear ?

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #16

    OldChessDog

    I chat with my Online opponents all the time. It's a good feature.

  • 11 months ago · Quote · #17

    upen2002

    yep i agree


Back to Top

Post your reply: