Forums

Team comments in VC games vs. Archive

Sort:
epoqueepique

In my humble opinion, Vote Chess is one of the best practices in chess. We are an important minority here playing serious VC, ie in sometimes more than 50 games at a time.

Teams that focus on Vote Chess encourage discussing moves before voting. So we discuss, and justify our intended moves, trying to persuade others to vote the same move. Groups that don't discuss moves don't survive long as VC groups.

Here is my proposition : a very fastiduous feature in chess.com VC games is that if you want to refresh your memory about the whys and hows of previous moves, you have to click the Archive button and then, move by move, click after click, you have to reopen previous screens to read the discussions that led to your present position. A terrible waste of clicks and time and patience when we could just have the whole of the discussion, move after move, uninterrupted (moves could be indicated each time as they were voted for and played) under the board...

There was a little bug yesterday, now disappeared, thanks to which we were able to see, below the chessboard, a large part of the team's comments about previous moves. It was fantastic to be able to follow the whole discussion and the game developping !

I don't think it would be technically difficult to show the discussion from move 1 to the last, under the board...

Have other VC players felt the need for that feature ?

NimzoRoy

It sounds swell although many players will ignore it. BTW how do you know implementing this idea wouldn't be technically difficult? I'm not a programmer but I am a cynic and I just automatically presume 99% of the "easy to implement" suggestions are made by people who know as much about programming as I do - namely zilch.

Contact the staff directly via Help & Support with your suggestion, they may take it seriously if they get enuff support for it.

rooperi

Yeah, you're right.

Sadly vote chess is the poor relation when it comes to updates and features. There are so many threads about ways to make VC better, but it seems not to be a priority.

NimzoRoy

I'd like to see TVC automatically post everyone's vote as they vote, so "drive-by" voters can either by admonished or else booted out of the group if they don't mend their ways. BUT I also like epoqueepique's idea 

epoqueepique

I know, Please be more positive or we will never get things to change !! :)

Who will want to post if they read nothing will change ?!

Concerning drive-by voters, if the group discusses the moves, we generally come to a consensus, that overwhelms those pains in the neck...

chessolite

like the proposal!

rooperi
NimzoRoy wrote:

It sounds swell although many players will ignore it. BTW how do you know implementing this idea wouldn't be technically difficult? I'm not a programmer but I am a cynic and I just automatically presume 99% of the "easy to implement" suggestions are made by people who know as much about programming as I do - namely zilch.

Contact the staff directly via Help & Support with your suggestion, they may take it seriously if they get enuff support for it.

Well, it was caused by a bug, Just put the bug back :)

hiredgun777

I certainly like the idea too!

epoqueepique

Rooperi, exactly my point too ! Bugs aren't usually creative..., they probably just revert to default settings.

batgirl

I couldn't agree more, epoqueepique... if it's possible, and it seems it is, then it should be implemented.   I would also like to see, after voting, when you hover over a voted-upon move, a list of the members who made that vote.

NimzoRoy

Well, it was caused by a bug, Just put the bug back :)  rooperi

Another swell idea, unless or until you find out that the bug also has one or more undesired effects

BTW I also like Batgirl's idea for implementing my idea LOL!

breakerofwind

Good idea, epo.  If the site can't do it for programming reasons, there is a simple solution -- copy the comments and paste them into Word or another word-processing program and then save it in a document folder.  You won't be able to copy any diagrams, though.

epoqueepique

Hi breaker, Do you actually do that ? I've thought of it but as I play on iPad most of the time, it's not possible. So I suggested chess.com create a box in the VC screen where we could do exactly that, the way we do it in our Notes when playing Online chess. But I got no response.

Let's believe in this, if we are many to ask, we will be listened to :)

breakerofwind

Yes, I've done it at critical moments of a game, epo.  But it would be easier to have all the comments in one place on the site, so I agree we should bombard them with requests :)

Master_Kaina

that "the bug" should b a normal happening & i also agree that votes SHOULD NOT be anonymous & should b posted@time the vote is made.

epoqueepique

You make me laugh always Kaina! Thanks !

hiredgun777

Or at least the Admins should be able to see where the voting is going!

epoqueepique

This is an untirely different point, and I don't think the chess.com staff will allow voters' identities to be revealed. Many people like hiding behind this anonimity, just like in politics.

Let's stay on the history of votes topic, that has a chance of being implemented...

hiredgun777
epoqueepique wrote:

This is an untirely different point, and I don't think the chess.com staff will allow voters' identities to be revealed. Many people like hiding behind this anonimity, just like in politics.

Let's stay on the history of votes topic, that has a chance of being implemented...

I didn't mean to know WHO was voting, but HOW the voting was going. As you know, a split vote can cost a match.  If an experianced admin could see the percentages at least, then they could request a certain vote at any time in the match without voting themselves at that point. Sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly.

batgirl

Well, while I disagree about not revealing voters' identities -- this being quite a different issue than, and incomparable to, political voting - I do agree that the comments here should focus on exposing all comments for a vote game as  opposed to just those on the current move.