Gashimov Memorial, Round 2 is LIVE and Open to ALL MEMBERS!Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The Chessplayer's Mind


  • 2 years ago · Quote · #1

    ChazR

    How does chess influence your life away from the board?

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #2

    diogens

    There is no life away the board Embarassed

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #3

    ChazR

    I get your point.  Like, the board is safe, there are rules...

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #4

    helltank

    I frequently find myself moving the way the knight moves if I'm on a checkered floor.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #5

    wowiezowie

    Away?  From the board?  lol.   Life is chess. 

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #6

    Nongsha

    I dream chess,talk chess,sing chess,dance chess,walk chess,breathe chess and eat a hell some of chess(puzzles)..so chess influence me in every way apart from the board. It has helped me to develop peristency,determination,good sound memory..and over all a dicipline calm person..
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #7

    rooperi

    Nongsha wrote:
    I dream chess,talk chess,sing chess,dance chess,walk chess,breathe chess and eat a hell some of chess(puzzles)..so chess influence me in every way apart from the board. It has helped me to develop peristency,determination,good sound memory..and over all a dicipline calm person..

    not to mention balance and variety.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #8

    Nongsha

    @rooperi what you mean to say? Didn't got you..
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #9

    ChazR

    You're all on to somethine here....hernia, yeah, chess can be a form of bowel obstruction.   Or, people can see chess imagery in odd places, like the guy in Nabokov's book, The Defense.  Main character, a chess master, jumps off a building and on the way down sees the window panes as squares on the board.  How often have we been forked on the horns of a dilemma, or scewered by the sharp tongue of a critic.  Have any of us awakened in the mid-game of life and found ourselves a pawn down without a mating attack?  Above all, watch out for the surprise move!

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #10

    Nongsha

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #11

    Nongsha

    @pawnupzuzu no he mean something else..i'm not getting..he should have write it clearly.
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #12

    erixoltan

    ChazR wrote:

    How does chess influence your life away from the board?


    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Recently I was trying to mate the lone enemy King with a Knight and Bishop.  (It's tricky but you can do it.)  In this case it was totally infuriating, because his King kept escaping from the mating web by making a series of illegal moves! It happened over and over again.  I would carefully maneuver my pieces for twenty moves and finally get him cornered.  And then he would just hop over my Knight into the middle of the open board!!  And nobody else seemed to notice that this was AGAINST THE RULES and TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

    Suddenly I looked up from the board and realized that I wasn't playing chess at all.  I was actually in a Chinese restaurant, trying to eat slippery noodles with chopsticks. 

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #13

    ChazR

    ...which is better, balance or excentricity?...isn't genius extreme?...Fischer was not balanced, and the jury is out on Morphy, Alexhine, and a few more.  "I would give God knight odds and still win," sounds like megalomania to me.  Could chess become such an obsession as to overshadow reality?  Does reality conform to the cold logic of chess in modern physics or is it simply a child's pastime on a distant planet?  Why does the logic of the Talmud seem to favor chess masters?  Is chess an argument where one side says "such and such," and the other side counters with "this and that."?  Are traps hard-wired into chess as they are in life?  Do you feel as if you were born a backward pawn on an open file and every more is to achieve equality?  How different is the admonishment to see every moment, every day, any different to look at the position anew after every move?  How similar it is for us to go through every day, moving automatically, without considering all options or even realizing we could change the game with originality.  You could lose.  So what?  At least you tried to express your individual freedom.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #14

    balbs

    No not at all I disagree with this and I will tell you why-

     

    oh hang on its my mate bishop who needs a check to go off to the pawn shop before the night comes in - a bit of a rook he is not very good at that game - if he wasn't such a queen he would be a king mate and his life would be more black and white.

    Now where was I ....

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #15

    helltank

    I always get checkmated because I forgot that in real life, all pawns are queens.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #16

    ChazR

    balbs wrote:

    No not at all I disagree with this and I will tell you why-

     

    oh hang on its my mate bishop who needs a check to go off to the pawn shop before the night comes in - a bit of a rook he is not very good at that game - if he wasn't such a queen he would be a king mate and his life would be more black and white.

    Now where was I ....


     We drinks a bit in bloody ol' England, dunt we?

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #17

    Nongsha

    @helltank ahahahaha beware from next time lolzz...
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #18

    helltank

    Nongsha wrote:
    @helltank ahahahaha beware from next time lolzz...

     Once I pulled off a Grand Fork. The enemy promptly moved all three forked pieces simultaneously and destroyed my knight. Cheaters.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #19

    Nongsha

    Is that really a true incident..because thats so sweet ya..ahhahahaha..
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #20

    ChazR

    erixoltan wrote:
    ChazR wrote:

    How does chess influence your life away from the board?


    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Recently I was trying to mate the lone enemy King with a Knight and Bishop.  (It's tricky but you can do it.)  In this case it was totally infuriating, because his King kept escaping from the mating web by making a series of illegal moves! It happened over and over again.  I would carefully maneuver my pieces for twenty moves and finally get him cornered.  And then he would just hop over my Knight into the middle of the open board!!  And nobody else seemed to notice that this was AGAINST THE RULES and TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

    Suddenly I looked up from the board and realized that I wasn't playing chess at all.  I was actually in a Chinese restaurant, trying to eat slippery noodles with chopsticks. 



Back to Top

Post your reply: