Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

To Develope a Bishop

• 4 years ago · Quote · #21

Atos

There are cases when an undeveloped piece is active, and of course there are cases when a developed piece is not really active. Still, we would generally expect there to be some correlation between development and activity.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #22

blake78613

Maybe, but mainline Ruy Lopez and classical Kings Indian Defense would seem to be two important exceptions.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #23

Atos

I am a King's Indian player myself and I know about the Black's Queen Bishop, but I have played quite a few games when I didn't actually manage to activate that Bishop. Of course, it is a "good" bishop, and it remains a "good" Bishop even without moving, but actually activating it is somewhat more difficult. It only activates if there is an attack going on the Kingside. In some variations like the Four Pawns attack where the Black doesn't get to attack on the Kingside that Bishop is actually often traded for the White's King's Knight.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #24

blake78613

That is why I specified Classical KID which is just about pure race.  Of course you always have to analyze the specific position.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #25

blake78613

tonydal wrote:

lol...kurogkug, you're not supposed to open multiple accounts.

??? Who are you talking to?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #26

Estragon

blake78613 wrote:

Regarding position @#6:  If White had previously developed the bishop to b7 and then moved it back to c8 (and Black had managed to lose a tempo or so moving his bishop) giving us the exact same position; would you consider the bishop developed, or would moving the bishop from b7 to the better square c8 "undevelop" the bishop?

Good point, but the Bishop was developed to b7 in your example.  Moving it again to the back row may improve its position in the given situation, but that's not considered "development."

In the Geller game, the Bc1 is adequately placed and can enter the game at any time, whereas the Knight needed immediate repositioning.  The "rules of development" are guidelines, and good players know or sense when they apply and when they do not. 

Notice that in both the position @ #6 and the Geller game, the position is very closed with a blocked pawn center.  It is precisely in such positions that development becomes less urgent, because the game slows down - like "bumper pool" as opposed to straight pool, the obstacles make the direct approaches unobtainable.  This gives each side time to redeploy their pieces, time which would be risky to spend in an open position in the opening.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #27

blake78613

The position in @#6 (a classical KID) may be closed and the center fixed, but the game has hardly slowed down.  There is an urgent race going on and time is of the essence.  Black needs to break through on the king-side before White breaks through on the queen-side.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #28

orangehonda

tonydal wrote:

lol...kurogkug, you're not supposed to open multiple accounts.

Laughing

• 4 years ago · Quote · #29

NickYoung5

Is a develope anything like a jackalope ?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #30

Atos

• 4 years ago · Quote · #31

theoreticalboy

tonydal wrote:

I know the Church has loosened its laws of late, but I'm still pretty sure that bishops can't elope (whether they're devs or not)...

Perhaps it's meant to be de-elope, and refers to a crack team of abbots who hunt down and bring back bishops who have run off with buxom town girls?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #32

Cystem_Phailure

OK. the white hat guys are the cooks, but what do the gold hat guys do?  Goldbrick?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #33

Cystem_Phailure

You can see why there isn't a chess piece based on a cardinal.  Not much hat to work with.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #34

MyCowsCanFly

Post your reply: