My List:

1. Kasparov

2. Tal

3. Alekhine

4. Radjabov

5. Topalov

6. Spasskey

7. Geller

8. Nezhmetdinov (CRAZYNESS IF YOU DON'T KNOW HIS GAMES)

9. Anand

10. Capablanca

Special Consideration:

Morphy, Anderson, Stenitz, Blackburne, Marshall (who didn't make my top ten but have a special place in my heart)

thedeliveryman

Really, Fischer didn't make your top 10 Tatical list? Or at least didn't even get some acknowledgement> WOW.

immortalgamer

Not for a tactition...not in my book.

This guy is far beyond Fischer (tactically) and he is going on my list replacing Geller

Vadim Zvjaginsev

victhestick

I am curious,

whom would you consider as your top ten most imaginative.

immortalgamer

Check these two games out by Zvjaginsev.  I might have a new favorite contemporary player!!  Some of the most imaginative chess I've ever seen.

0-0-0

Zvjaginsev's second game holy cow that is awesome

immortalgamer

That is against a Super GM!  Why did I just discover this kid today?  He is my new favorite player. 

MapleDanish

1. Tal

2. Kasparov

3. Fischer

... I'd argue Tal to the death :P.

erad1288

1. Alekhine

2. Morphy

3. Smyslov

4  Bronstein

5. Capablanca

I think these 5 represent the greatest tacticians not because they played the most wrecklessly but because they were the opponents that would pick up on almost any tactical or positional mistakes.  (the old saying is that a superior position leads to superior tactics.)

bondiggity
ih8sens wrote:

1. Tal

2. Kasparov

3. Fischer

... I'd argue Tal to the death :P.

I agree with your top 3.

immortalgamer

Yes I agree Smyslov was an amazing tactition

Mattlh

Wow, after seeing those two games, I want to see more of Vadim Zvjaginsev... that was beautiful! 

shuttlechess92

immortal =), you really need to check out some of Fischer's games:

JG27Pyth

Nezhmetidinov

Tal

Kasparov

Morphy

Alekhine

Fischer

Topalov

Em. Lasker

Anand

Carlsen

goldendog

Define tactician. Fischer wasn't a speculative player but could calculate the hell out of a position (the only thing Botvinnik allowed after Fischer won the title). Fischer just didn't play wildly (as a rule). People still wonder about game #1 of the Spassky match in 1972.

shuttlechess92

I think people are getting tactics and calculations mixed up now. Golden dog, you are correct, fischer could calculate, but he is best known for finding traps and small combinations out of a seemingly even position.  Thus, besides paul morphy, I would definitely rank fischer among the best TACTICALly.

The best calculated, "correct" player would be Alekhine hands down, but Fischer is tactically teh chess player of our generation

immortalgamer

yes anderssen  correct...sorry for the misspell.  Common he gave us the immortal game and the evergreen game!!

illini977

wow :O

northsea

My top is:

1.Tal

2.Alekhine

3.Morphy

leo8160

i believe what everybody classifies as tactician is the WILD & AGGRESSIVE  players who r ready to sacrifice their watches and clothes on the board to sweep the king, if we r defining those

TAL

MORPHY

ANDERSSEN

asside from those we actually can speak of a full spectrum up to the  deeply  positional players at the other end......all other players can fit in the spectrum between the 100% tacticians to the 100% positional