scuttlebutt94

1. Bobby Fisher

2.Magnus Carlsen

3.Teiymor Radjabov

GodKnight

my top 1 its Alekhine, that man was a chessmonster

0-0-0

gotta be Tal

even though he admits that not all of his sacrifices were sound, and some of the tactics could have been exploited

he said some sacrifices made him nervous, but he realized that they made his opponets more nervous

rollingpawns

1. Morphy

2. Tal

Smartattack

You just missed the king of them all..Tigran Petrosian.The Iron Tiger.

Smartattack

Petrosian wasn t surely spectacular player, but his tactics of constraining opponent moves and slowly get small advantages was legendary.

Gin7

Guess Tal, Alekhine, Fischer and Kasparov are the top 4. Alekhine MUST be in that top 4.

TheMoonwalker

1. Capablanca

2. Kasparov

3. Fischer

4. Morphy

That would be my list :)

gabrielconroy

I'd like to put David Bronstein into the mix - here's a game of his that I think is especially brilliant, as he accepts a lot of tactical dangers himself yet maintains a strong attack throughout.

25. e3 probably deserves a !! marking not only because it's part of Bronstein's plan and white's king is seemingly exposed to checks, being in the middle of the board - which would in normal circumstances defuse a tactical attack - but also because (according to this borrowed analysis) it is the only winning move in the position:

+4.58 25.Ke3 h5 26.Nxh5 Qxb3+ 27.axb3 Nd5+ 28.Kd4 Ne6+ 29.Kxd5 gxh5 30.Qxh5+ Kg8 31.Qg4 Nxg5 32.Qxg5+ Kh7 33.Qe7 b5 34.d7 Kg6 35.Qf6+ Kh7

-0.30 25.Kf2 Nd3+ 26.Kg1 Qc5+ 27.Kg2 Ne1+ 28.Qxe1 Qd4 29.Qh4 Qxh4 30.Bxh4 Kg7 31.Nd5 Nd7 32.Ba4 b5 33.Bf6+ Nxf6 34.exf6+ Kh6 35.Bxb5

-0.46 25.Kd1 Qf1+ 26.Kd2 Qd3+ 27.Ke1 Qb1+ 28.Kf2 h5 29.Nxh5 Nd3+ 30.Ke2 Qe1+ 31.Qxe1 Nxe1 32.Nf6 Nxf3 33.Kxf3 Kg7 34.Be3

immortalgamer

That is a amazing game!

masteryoda

1. Tal

2. Tal

3. Tal

4. Tal

5. Tal

6. Tal

7. Tal

8. Tal

9. Tal

10. Tal

JG27Pyth
Smartattack wrote:

You just missed the king of them all..Tigran Petrosian.The Iron Tiger.

All great players are in some sense great tacticians and great positional players there's no denying that... You don't get to be world champion being one-sided.  Buuut... that said... Petrosian is at the top, or near the top of the anti-tactical players! You have to love what Botvinnik said about Petrosian, "When Petrosian sacrifices a piece: resign." 

Karpov is another great postional crusher -- and he's an absolutely amazing tactician when he needs to be, (Kramnik too) -- but tactic-tal fireworks is not his preferred game.

Great positional/defensive players, in no particular order:

Steinitz

Karpov

Petrosian

Botvinnik

Schlecter

Maroczy

Kramnik

Nimzowitsch

Many others I'm sure I've missed.

rybkadefeater

1. KasparovCool 

2.  FisherFrown 

3. AnandSmile 

4.CarlsonSmile 

5. MorphySmile 

6. CapablancaSmile 

7. KarpovSmile 

8. KrammnikSmile

9. TalSmile 

10. Polgar Smile 

Kaluki

Yeah... I think a lot of people people misinterpret "tactical" for "aggressive" or at the very least cannot differentiate between the two.

Great defenders such as Petrosian, Karpov, and Kramnik had to be exemplary tacticians to perform so well against great attackers. I personally don't believe Tal isn't any better or worse a tactician than Petrosian.

yourChess

anderson

Please be relevant, helpful & nice!

azziralc

1.Kasparov

azziralc

2.Karpov

azziralc

3.Bobby Fischer for me. Cool

ClavierCavalier

nyLsel, you could have done that in one post!  :-p

I'm going to have to agree with some of these posts and say it's crazy that Fischer wasn't on the list or even given an honorable mention, but Spassky is.

Fear_ItseIf

Tal, Ivanchuk, Shirov, Fischer