Forums

Trade bishop for knight in this scenario?

Sort:
matethxbye

I am black and it is my move. I am wondering about Bf3 to trade my bishop with white's knight, which would force him to break his castled king side pawn structure.

This might be obvious to many but I am a new chess player so bear with me, thanks.

the_blemish

Deleted ...

MCFan

http://www.chess.com/echess/game?id=86445298

Well done blemish, learn to read. He did say "I am wondering...".

EliteCataphract

did you mean g5?

the_blemish

Sorry MC, I'm new here, didn't stop to think ... won't happen again.

@chessmicky - the game's still going on, see post #3

Galiciangirl
[COMMENT DELETED]
MCFan

Micky, why are you continuing to give advice to the OP about a game that he has in pregress?

Galiciangirl
chessmicky escribió:

It's not a foolisg question at all. Sometimes these kinds of decisions can be quite difficult. But in this exact position, playing 10...Bxf3 is clearly best. Not just because of abstract positional considerations, but because you have a specific tactic in this position that is going to win you a pawn with the superior position. And this particular tactics comes up all the time, so it's really worth learning.

After 10...Bxf3 11.gxf3, you have 11...Nxd5! discovering an attack on White's Bg5. So if 12.exd5 or exd5 you have 12...Bxg5. And if 12.Bxe7 you have 12...Nxe7! (many players overlook this backward move) and you're a pawn up with a nice advantage. White's best is probably 12.Nxd5 cxd5 13.Bxe7 Nc5! and again, Black is better. The moral of this story is that while it's very important to think positionally, If there's a tactic, that trumps everything! The teacher C J Purdy once wrote "to a good position player who is not also a master of tactics, chess is a long succession of heartbreaks."

Fantastic quote!

matethxbye
MCFan wrote:

Micky, why are you continuing to give advice to the OP about a game that he has in pregress?

I'm sorry, I just realized that is a bit of bad manner on my part Cry

varelse1

Another plan here is Nc5 Qc2 a5, and that knight is strong there.

RonaldJosephCote

Now THERE'S a problem for Erik;   Wheather it is nobler to ask for advice, in the light of these forums, on a game in progress, OR wheather it is nobler to consult a chess engine, in a darkened basement??    THAT, is the question.

MCFan
matethxbye wrote:
MCFan wrote:

I'm sorry, I just realized that is a bit of bad manner on my part 

No, it is outright cheating.

whoispaulmiller

Damn right it's cheating!

whoispaulmiller

Fishwives?! Wow, that's a cracking piece of old-school sexist vernacular. It is technically cheating, but I get that it may sound a bit reactionary if the player genuinely didn't realise that it was not okay to ask for advice on a game in progress. I would have thought though, at the very least, it is pretty self-evident that you shouldn't do this?

whoispaulmiller

And I don't think we were acting self-righteously whatsoever. 

whoispaulmiller

Hehe. Then it makes no sense at all, but I like it. 

whoispaulmiller

Yep, fair enough. 

GSHAPIROY
matethxbye wrote:

I am black and it is my move. I am wondering about Bf3 to trade my bishop with white's knight, which would force him to break his castled king side pawn structure.

This might be obvious to many but I am a new chess player so bear with me, thanks.

Yes taking is a very good move.