Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Ugh, why am I so bad at chess?


  • 16 months ago · Quote · #1

    FourCubed14

    I always lose on time and/or lose on position, it feels like. I blunder constantly and I never have good ideas or plans, when playing. I've been doing tactics training on Chesstempo and watching chess videos on youtube (though these are mostly for fun), and in about a month I've crawled from 1100, to hovering around 1300 right now, but I feel like I could drop any number of games and I'll be right back where I started. It's just very frustrating because I don't feel like I'm improving at all. At these levels, it's more like winning coin flips than playing chess; wait to see who drops a piece or two first. Anyone more experienced or in the same situation have any advice to offer?

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #2

    losingmove

    That's the way she goes. Keep at it...if you are tenacious enough you'll go far. Or maybe you've peaked...who knows...

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #3

    DrCheckevertim

    That's just how chess is. As for losing on time, play longer games. The same thing happens to me.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #4

    baddogno

    Play slower time controls and give yourself time to come up with plans and avoid blunders.  Blitz is a lot of fun but you'll probably never get much better if that's all you play.  Bring on the hate mail, blitz lovers....Laughing

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #5

    DrCheckevertim

    Also think about it like this. You can beat most people who don't play much chess. But most people you lose to, have played/studied a lot more than you.

    You aint bad, but you aint good.

    Good takes years and years of work and experience.

    (I am also speaking for myself)

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #6

    2200ismygoal

    You may be bad at chess but you'll be better at life than most strong chess players.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #7

    DrCheckevertim

    2200ismygoal wrote:

    You may be bad at chess but you'll be better at life than most strong chess players.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #8

    Lizalyn69

    FourCubed14 wrote:

    I always lose on time and/or lose on position, it feels like. I blunder constantly and I never have good ideas or plans, when playing. I've been doing tactics training on Chesstempo and watching chess videos on youtube (though these are mostly for fun), and in about a month I've crawled from 1100, to hovering around 1300 right now, but I feel like I could drop any number of games and I'll be right back where I started. It's just very frustrating because I don't feel like I'm improving at all. At these levels, it's more like winning coin flips than playing chess; wait to see who drops a piece or two first. Anyone more experienced or in the same situation have any advice to offer?

    Try to subscribe at CHESS-TEACHER.COM by GM Igor Smirnov. You will improved a lot by studying his free lessons.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #9

    mariewsc

    I'm with you, fourcubed.

    I'll be honest: I think it is the level of the players you meet on here. When I play with friends, I tend to perform infinitely better. The players you will generally find on a chess website have much more developed gamestyles and interests in chess than, say, relative newbies like you and me.

    I think it takes much more practice to get to the level of many of the players here. Just stick with it and know it is probably better in the scheme of things to play with those who are more advanced every once in a while, because they will inevitably teach you a thing or two and challenge you to improve :)

    Also, don't forget that rating isn't everything, especially at this stage in your learning. If you focus too much on that, you will likely become frustrated with the game and will forget to enjoy it. Now is the time for making mistakes, honing your skills and having fun. I stopped worrying about my rating when I realized many low-rated players are in fact very developed chess players, which I am not.

    But hey, if you want a fun, stress-free game with someone who has only been playing about a month or so, feel free to play me anytime Wink. Just please, none of those freakily-fast ones. I'm not quite ready for that...Tongue Out

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #10

    DarknesMetalDragon

    baddogno wrote:

    Play slower time controls and give yourself time to come up with plans and avoid blunders.  Blitz is a lot of fun but you'll probably never get much better if that's all you play.  Bring on the hate mail, blitz lovers....

    FourCubed14 isn't playing blitz. She is playing 30-30. I wish this site would let you just use 1, 2 hr time controls. That's probably what she needs. She probably can't play at home, so she have to use this website. I know they allow 1 day per move, but that isn't fun to have to wait that long.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #11

    baddogno

    Not sure where you're getting that information DarkDragon but all I see are blitz games.

    Turn-based: Standard Chess960 Live: Bullet Blitz Standard

    Rating


    Live Chess - Blitz

    Current: 1232
    Today's Rank: #365,295 of 1,390,628
    Percentile: 73.7%
    Glicko RD: 22
    Highest: 1431 (May 5, 2013)
    Lowest: 995 (May 7, 2013)
    Avg. Opp.: 1192.87
    Best Win: 1474 (alex_relax)
    Jul 2013Aug 2013Sep 20131,0001,2001,4001,600

    Avg. Opponent Rating when I...

    Win: 1164 Lose: 1240 Draw: 1191
    Games Archive

    Games


    Games Vs.All opponentsSpecific opponent
    Total: 1028
    Won: 546 (53%)
    Lost: 457 (44%)
    Drawn: 25 (2%)
    Unrated: 0
    In Progress:  
    Timeouts: 0% (last 90 days)
    Winning Streak: 9 Games
    Losing Streak: 6 Games
    Won: 53 %Lost: 44 %Drawn: 2 %

    Record

     WinsLossesDrawsGames
    Total 546 (53%) 457 (44%) 25 (2%) 1028
    White 279 (56%) 207 (41%) 13 (3%) 499 (49%)
    Black 267 (50%) 250 (47%) 12 (2%) 529 (51%)

     

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #12

    DarknesMetalDragon

    baddogno wrote:

    Not sure where you're getting that information DarkDragon but all I see are blitz games.

    Turn-based: Standard Chess960 Live: Bullet Blitz Standard
    Rating
    Live Chess - Blitz Current: 1232 Today's Rank: #365,295 of 1,390,628 Percentile: 73.7% Glicko RD: 22 Highest: 1431 (May 5, 2013) Lowest: 995 (May 7, 2013) Avg. Opp.: 1192.87 Best Win: 1474 (alex_relax)
    Jul 2013Aug 2013Sep 20131,0001,2001,4001,600
    Avg. Opponent Rating when I... Win: 1164 Lose: 1240 Draw: 1191 Games Archive Games
    Games Vs.All opponentsSpecific opponent
    Total: 1028 Won: 546 (53%) Lost: 457 (44%) Drawn: 25 (2%) Unrated: 0 In Progress:   Timeouts: 0% (last 90 days)Winning Streak: 9 Games Losing Streak: 6 Games
    Won: 53 %Lost: 44 %Drawn: 2 %
    Record  WinsLossesDrawsGamesTotal 546 (53%) 457 (44%) 25 (2%) 1028 White 279 (56%) 207 (41%) 13 (3%) 499 (49%) Black 267 (50%) 250 (47%) 12 (2%) 529 (51%)

     

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #13

    Lizalyn69

    Try a visit on this http://chess-teacher.com/what-obstructs-most-players/.Make a free account so you can receive more chess lessons for free. I'm sure it's 100% helpful to you too. 

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #14

    tigbench

    I see nothing wrong with those stats.

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #15

    JavaTigress

    2200ismygoal wrote:

    You may be bad at chess but you'll be better at life than most strong chess players.

     

    And what good is that if you are miserable about yourself?

    Seriously,though, I can honestly say I know the the OP feels. Its like I feel like I will NEVER be as good as I want to be. I feel at times like I should just give up at the whole thing if I am never going to be a grandmaster...

    Thing is I don't WANT to give it up, not really. 

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #16

    Scottrf

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #17

    Till_98

    Play slow time control. when you get better at chess you will of course get better at blitz.

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #18

    wishiwonthatone

    Do nothing. You have a life. Reward yourself.


Back to Top

Post your reply: