Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Warnings


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    Trag55

     I was playing live chess and I wrote "This is such fun, I'm so pissed!", this was in the third game...and I received a warning! Anyone know what that's about?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    TheKidProdigy

    you been warned by a bot...because it is considered a bad word...I think you can only use bad words when you're playing against your friend or having a private chat

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    TheKidProdigy

    You never been warned ozzie?...I got warned once by putting up a game on the main hall...with my opponent having a very bad name...after that her account got deleted

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    mrguy888

    Tragasus wrote:

     I was playing live chess and I wrote "This is such fun, I'm so pissed!", this was in the third game...and I received a warning! Anyone know what that's about?


    That strikes me as an odd phrase. Having fun and yet being very angry?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    Trag55

     I made a joke after 3 absurdly short games. Frankly, it was amusing. Pissed is common parlance not only in Britian, but in the Antipodes, S.Africa et al, for inebriation.

     The warning was in a rather scary looking box threatening to withdraw my membership...

     I really like this site. I suspect there is some truth in that divided by a common language bullshit (bet I'll get another warning and lose my favourite site ...hehe )

     

     It's a joke...don't drop me! Praise the Lord......LOL

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    Trag55

    Mrguy888 has proved my point. Here the word pissed means drunk, as I think I already mentioned. Perhaps in America it means angry?

     But isn't it more interesting to discover these differences, rather than respond with threats?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    kco

    you only get off for 30 mins. on your first warning so learn from it Wink

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    GhostNight

    Some peole cannot help them self, every other word  in public is a word that would get you kicked off of chess.com. I hope this is not the case with you! Expressing yourself in that manner says you have a long way to go if you want respect and show that you have a learned vocabulary! drop the explicit BS, and PP, and any other  ones we have not heard yet? They will like you better here for sure and the country flag you fly, do not bring it down.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    Trag55

     Frankly, having read that last comment, I doubt I have many problems expressing myself with a modicum of eloquence, no matter how pissed!

     It seems to me that chess is an extraordinary, chanceless and universal langauge that I throuroughly enjoy. I suppose there's no point in this thread at all....down to being pissed :-)

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    mrguy888

    Tragasus wrote:

    Mrguy888 has proved my point. Here the word pissed means drunk, as I think I already mentioned. Perhaps in America it means angry?

     But isn't it more interesting to discover these differences, rather than respond with threats?


    Yes, it means angry in North America.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #12

    mrguy888

    Yes and it can do nothing else. Even if you say something that is inoffensive in your region the person on the recieving end might be from another place and be offended. That is one reason there is a warning.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #13

    kco

    IMDeviate wrote:
    mrguy888 wrote:

    Yes and it can do nothing else. Even if you say something that is inoffensive in your region the person on the recieving end might be from another place and be offended. That is one reason there is a warning.


    I have never offended the software but we see posts all the time by people who don't understand why they were warned or banned.

    Some people even say they were banned but never warned.

    Frankly I can't be bothered trying to duplicate that behavior from the software, because I don't want to be banned. But if you've been around the forums for a while you may have seen some of these "I was banned without warning" posts.


     maybe they thought they were banned but didn't realized it , it was only for 30 mins. ?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #14

    Zackford

    Wow, what a bunch of BS (didn't print the word)!lol Just play the game. If someone is offended turn off your chat! Some of us enjoy horsing around while we play. I don't understand how simple harmless words can upset someone that much?????

    In fact turn your chat off before you start your match???? Let's make chess and chatting both socially fun. Nothing prevents one from requesting a player to be more polite?? Why do we always have to tell daddy for supervision? We're all adults????Reminds me of the government, MORE REGULATION on our lives!!Laughing

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #15

    Trag55

     Haven't noticed. Doesn't seem particularly interesting, but then software isn't my thing. Just seemed odd to be warned for being  humourous after a few funny games, c'est la vie huh?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #16

    chessdude46

    Zackford wrote:

    Wow, what a bunch of BS (didn't print the word)!lol Just play the game. If someone is offended turn off your chat! Some of us enjoy horsing around while we play. I don't understand how simple harmless words can upset someone that much?????

    In fact turn your chat off before you start your match???? Let's make chess and chatting both socially fun. Nothing prevents one from requesting a player to be more polite?? Why do we always have to tell daddy for supervision? We're all adults????Reminds me of the government, MORE REGULATION on our lives!!


    You have some good points, but still not all of us are adults.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #17

    Trag55

    Well we all like chess, and clearly some of us like the odd chat, sems alright to me.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

    Zackford

    First of all I don't believe it's unsportsmanship like behavior to turn off your chat before or during your game. To me it indicates you just want to play the game without conversation. That sends the message I'm not a talker.

    As for children on online, I think they should be in a separate section, or identified with their name before you play the match that indicates they are under the age of 18. Parents should always check out a website before they allow their children to play on adult sites. It's the parents responsibility to monitor their child's games and behavior. 99% of my quick chats are short, and concern the moves of the game. If you don't like some one's comment, don't respond?? That sends a message?Tongue out

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #19

    Henry601

    Personally, I come to this sight to play chess.  Sometimes, I speak, sometimes I don't.  If my opponent is friendly and wants to talk, no problem.  But generally, I just play...no comments needed.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #20

    kohai

    Tragasus wrote:

     I was playing live chess and I wrote "This is such fun, I'm so pissed!", this was in the third game...and I received a warning! Anyone know what that's about?


    Its an automated warning and goes by content not context.

    Whats seen as an innocent harmless word by some, may be seen as offensive by others.

    We have people who see a word as offensive, they complain, they don't come here to see words they class as offensive.

    Then we have people who say its not offensive, and complain because they get auto warned.

    Yes its a fine line between whats accepted and what isn't, but we can't please all the people all the time, much as we'd like too :)


Back to Top

Post your reply: