Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

what are those for


  • 13 months ago · Quote · #21

    ClavierCavalier

    BhomasTrown wrote:

    but are flora and fauna the plurals of florum and faunum?

    I seem to recall that Flora comes from their god of Spring, or something like that.  I don't know about fauna.  Probably the same sort of thing.  They probably are not nouns that end with -um.  Don't quote me, though.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #22

    RomyGer

    Oh, Thomas Brown, post 19, this is what we need in these forums, HUMOUR, like Belgian Victor wrote a few days ago, it makes one smile !

    But what a disappointment for you, to learn that Flora is just a Roman Goddess of flowers, blossom and springtime ; and Fauna is the sister of Faunus, a Roman God like the Greek Pan, grandson of Saturnus.

    A Faun is a Roman country God, protector of shepherds, farmers and animals, he is hairy and has horns, and the paws and tail of a he-goat.

    Forgive me the following, but while I found all above in old books, I also saw that a Faun is a voluptuous, lascivious old man; English is not my mother language, so, I hope not to have mis-translated... ( by the way, I am an young old man, don't feel involved...)

    There is also a forum, these days, about the low level of subjects in forums and the way we write about things, so we just need more florum and faunum !!!

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #23

    BhomasTrown

    Ah thanks for clearing that up, RomyGer. 

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #24

    RomyGer

    I like languages, and translations, and because English is not my mother language ( I am Dutch ) I always consult more dictionaries when necessary.

    Moreover I have lists of American, British and Australian English words, we have relatives in England, I like to play with Dutch words and phrases.

    My best dictionary ( Longman ) says the following about the words used above :

    A forum is a place where public matters may be talked over and argued about  (  "...  the letters page of this newspaper is a forum for public argument ..." ).

    A thread is a line of reasoning, connecting the parts of an argument or story  (  "...  I'm afraid I've lost the thread of your argument ..." ).

    To keep someone posted is to continue to give someone all the latest news about something.

    Virtually posting is to put up a notice about something on the internet, so as to make it public.

    A topic is a subject for conversation, talk and/or writing at that moment.

    Two remarks : I am an engineer, but never saw the word thread in this way; and hurrah for the Dutch schools, teaching English, French, German and Spanish, the advantage of a small country !

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #25

    tmkroll

    Scottrf wrote:

    Everywhere else on the internet, a forum is a collection of topics, and the threads are the individual topics.

    This is a thread and it's a forum. The threads within the larger forum are also forums themselves. Calling them forums instead of threads is not a mistake. In fact some of the threads on this site are forums for heated debate.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #26

    Scottrf

    There is specific terminology. That it fits another usage of the world isn't relevant, as it's not generally the intended use. Just a diversionary tactic.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #27

    Irontiger

    Stigmatisert wrote:

    Forum - or fora - are terms trying to catch the social phenomenon of people gathering to exchange knowledge and viewpoints.

    Mwahahahaha.

    That's the original intent, but in reality, it's just a shouting and whining place for trolls, a hunting place for troll hunters, and a terrible place for people looking for real information.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #28

    tmkroll

    And my shirt isn't clothing either. There is a specific terminology there; I have to use the word shirt. People will have no idea what I'm talking about it if I call it clothing.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #29

    tmkroll

    Stigmatisert wrote:
    tmkroll wrote:
    Scottrf wrote:

    Everywhere else on the internet, a forum is a collection of topics, and the threads are the individual topics.

    This is a thread and it's a forum. The threads within the larger forum are also forums themselves. Calling them forums instead of threads is not a mistake. In fact some of the threads on this site are forums for heated debate.

    Could you run that again, please 

     

    Irontiger wrote:
    Stigmatisert wrote:

    Forum - or fora - are terms trying to catch the social phenomenon of people gathering to exchange knowledge and viewpoints.

    Mwahahahaha.

    That's the original intent, but in reality, it's just a shouting and whining place for trolls, a hunting place for troll hunters, and a terrible place for people looking for real information.

    I remember exchanging knowledge developing information on this site, before I was muted for 3 weeks posting a link like this (OBS. RSS-members only).


    Agree. Forum is wrong. I'd rather chose Arena: 

    ... The word [arena] derives from Latin harena, a particularly fine/smooth sand used to absorb blood in ancient arenas like the Colosseum in Rome ...

     

     

    (eventually I will stop biting at these) A "forum" is a place to gather and exchange ideas. A "thread" is the common name for a topic in an online message board (Although on this site the word "forum" is used in the place of "thread.") It was suggested that the use of the word "forum" to describe such a topic was incorrect and that the term "thread" should be preferred. I argued they are both good words to describe individual topics as the individual topics are places to gather and exchange ideas as well... eg... "The Ponziani thread is an outstanding forum for theoretical discussion of that opening." As I suspect you got my point the first time and are just joking now, and seriously as well as you are making a point yourself, I will also agree with you that "arena" could be a good word to describe some of these threads... eg. "That one thread on the King's Gambit is a fine arena, a varitable colosseum of mud slinging and debate." (note: I haven't actually read much of that thread and I have reason to suspect it's most just one troll repeating the Fischer Bust over and a over.)

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #30

    Scottrf

    The fact that another definition is 'correct' is a coincidence, because people aren't using it with that definition in mind but the technical one.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #31

    tmkroll

    Ok you are probably right about that most of the time.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #32

    Scottrf

    I do argue about some pointless stuff...have a good day.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #33

    sftac

    I agree, points are activity indicators (such as forum posting).

    And, I suspect that's a design element intended to make posts no matter how inane, have a point.

    sftac

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #34

    tmkroll

    would mentiong Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch be too off-topic in this context?


Back to Top

Post your reply: