Forums

What chess records may never be broken?

Sort:
jambyvedar
ponz111 wrote:

Some records you gave have been broken and some might be broken need to be more specific. I think Fischer's 19 or 20 wins in a row at top level of chess might not be matched or broken.

If I can remember correctly Steiniz holds the record for that.

jambyvedar
fabelhaft wrote:

I think Kasparov's never finishing behind another player for a period of ten years, between 1981 and 1991, never will be broken. Kasparov played quite a lot those years, against very strong opposition, and never finishing behind another player for so many years in a row is incredible. Also his winning ten super tournaments in a row around the turn of the century is a record I think never will be beaten. Just look at how hard it is also for great players and World Champions like Anand and Kramnik to line up tournament wins, ten in a row is just too much. Even Carlsen has "only" managed 11 wins in his 16 latest tournaments, and improving on that is hard enough.

Yup this one is really hard to break, also Kasparov as world number one for 255 months is an amazing feat that is hard to break..

fabelhaft
jambyvedar wrote:
ponz111 wrote:

Some records you gave have been broken and some might be broken need to be more specific. I think Fischer's 19 or 20 wins in a row at top level of chess might not be matched or broken.

Yes, 25 wins:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1006842

ponz111

Hi , JoseO because I made a draw AFTER I set the record for the most games won in a row without a loss or draw does not erase the record.  Otherwise almost all these records we are talking about would be erased.

fabelhaft

World Champion to be married most times: Alekhine (4) followed by Spassky and Kasparov (3). Kasparov isn't 50 yet so maybe Alekhine's record can be beaten. Of today's players Karjakin started well by marrying at 19, but has some marriages and the World Championship left to be really competitive. The same thing with Radjabov, who married at 24.

ponz111

I might hold the record the the most marriages for a United States Correspondence Chess Champion? [ have a lot of very unusual records]

AndyClifton

Mickey Rooney reads the last couple of posts on this thread:

ponz111

He beats me but his chess ain't very good.

How about this unusual record

Winning two consecutive 4 game USCF tournaments with a score of

4 wins and no draws and no losses in both tournaments and then

not to gain any rating points.

konhidras

The drunk captain in the 1800's which in Larry Evans book "chess Catechism" was said to smash the chess board in his opponents head after every loss. That can never be broken.

varelse1

What can never be broken? The record? Or the board? Or the head?

varelse1
jambyvedar wrote:
ponz111 wrote:

That is correct jamby. In 1872 Steinitz suddenly abandoned his previous win-at-all-costs classical style, and introduced a more cautious positional style to the world. His opponents had no idea how to proceed against him.

The result was he would win 25 games straight against the best players of the day.

Fischer was the only one who came close to beating this record. But that meddling Petrosian broke his streak.

MoonlessNight
varelse1 wrote:

What can never be broken? The record? Or the board? Or the head?

Yes.

feygooner

Oh look, a chess playing bear!

ponz111

It is not so hard to beat a GM.  My record against current GMs was 3 wins in 3 games. But then I got to play another game vs a GM [I had Black] and I won that game also.

JeffGreen333

My record of 60 straight wins (no draws or losses) in 2008.   lol   I wasn't playing against GM's though.   

JeffGreen333
ponz111 wrote:

It is not so hard to beat a GM.  My record against current GMs was 3 wins in 3 games. But then I got to play another game vs a GM [I had Black] and I won that game also.

Dreams don't count, Ponz.   lol

JeffGreen333
fabelhaft wrote:

Oldest World Champion: Steinitz was 56 years old when he lost the title to Lasker. To beat that Carlsen has to be World Champion year 2047, and that sounds tough. Anand only has to hold out until year 2026, but going by his latest title match I wouldn't bet on him making it.

That record will certainly never be broken.   If anything, WC's are getting younger and younger.   I don't think we'll ever see another WC over 40.   In fact, we might see one under 20 before we see another one over 40.

WeylTransform

Most academia papers published by a chess grandmaster

WeylTransform

Least condensed matter physics articles produced by a chess master with rating in excess of 2300

Least academia papers published by a chess grandmaster

Greatest thirst for knowledge in a chess supergrandmaster (unless we get some omniscient being who excels at virtually everything and has a profoundly high IQ)

Least mathematically inclined chess international master

Greatest mathematical comprehension from chess national master about the Elo and Glicko rating systems as well the immersion into mathematical formulas governing such

WeylTransform

Youngest age to gain a doctorate in algebraic topology from chess master