Forums

What happens if your opponent dies at the chessboard ?

Sort:
Ziggy_Zugzwang

Seriously though. Death is something the living have to handle. As a chess player I wouldn't wish for a better way to exit this life than during my favourite hobby.

Pulpofeira

Yes! With your boots on!

camberfoil

Perhaps you're right. Let's hope our two late bretheren departed this world in peace. However, both were of advanced age. Perhaps the stress of the game was too much. If so, FIDE needs to implement changes so that history will not repeat itself as it so often does if the world forgets the past.

Conflagration_Planet

You get his baked potato.

mnhsr

victory

Irontiger
heinzie wrote:

Hey_Man, it just happened yesterday at the Olympiad in the game CM Kurt Meier - Alain Patience Niyibizi.

So "Patience" eventually won the game on time? Innocent

noblestone
Ziggy_Zugzwang skrifaði:

Would you claim a win ? I think I would. A manager of an English football once said that football was not a matter of life and death, but much more important...No less could be said of chess.

Though in fairness to the just deceased player, I don't think it should affect his grading.

You don´t have to claim a win, make your move, he will loose on time, very simple ...

Banana97286
PlentyOToole wrote:

What if the player only fell into a coma where all bodily functions had ceased, then came out of it with one minute left on his clock and made a move. Meanwhile his opponent had already gone to Supermacs for a burger ?

man i love me some good ol' supermacs in jamaica

MF972
Jimmykay wrote:

According to Fide rule 6.3.7, the game is declared a dead draw.

That was a fake/joke comment (that has been cited all over internet), there is no such rule.

Check out fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf, article 6.3:

> 6.3 Immediately after a flag falls, the requirements of article 6.2 a. must be checked.

There is no 6.3.7!

greenzag

more importantly do you possess any sympathy and will you attend your opponent's funeral or cremation?

mrhjornevik
greenzag wrote:

more importantly do you possess any sympathy and will you attend your opponent's funeral or cremation?

Depend on the opening