Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What is the most SURPRISING incident happen with you while playing OTB tourney?


  • 20 months ago · Quote · #181

    solskytz

    That's would really be a great example for coffee-house chess

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #182

    latvianlover

    Abhishek2 wrote:
    latvianlover wrote:

    Playing in a tournament in Vegas. It was my first time in Vegas, so I guess I stayed out a little too late (got to my room at 4:30 am, morning round at 7:00). While playing my first game, my opponent threatened mate. I studied and found a way out of it that started with moving my King's Rook. Sat back to review, picked up my coffee . . . and it was my Queen's Rook! Oops

    are yougoing to the one in a few weeks?

    No. I play poker now. I found that I'm not good enough at chess to spend $250 on entry fee. Plus hotel and travel expenses. I make about $12.50 an hour at Hollywood Park Casino. Haven't been active in USCF since about 2002 or 2003. Would like to play something local here in LA, for maybe $100 or less.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #183

    MoonlessNight

    My opponent had a passed pawn, I went to capture it with my knight, but accidentally used his knight instead!

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #184

    mashanator

    nate23 wrote:

    My opponent had a passed pawn, I went to capture it with my knight, but accidentally used his knight instead!

    Hah. That reminds me of a game I played where my opponent was about to queen a pawn - he moved it to a1 and grabbed the nearest queen, which was of course my captured one on his side, placed it on a1 and probably came within a second of pressing his clock before he realised.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #185

    wagnerk

    oh yeah. i had this weird time once.

    a couple of years ago, i was in a tournament, and i was playing this guy and easily checkmated him, and he kept denying checkmate. after he hadn't playe a move for 5 minutes just trying to find the move that would stop checkmate, i called over a judge and he judged the situation as checkmate.

    the guy started freaking out like he was having a hallucination of a monster, and then went under the table crying that i had somehow disrespected the guy's family.

    i hadn't done anything except for win the game.

    he kept freaking out and then the judge signed on his board that i had won and the person under the table had lost.

    afterward, even while the guy under the table is claiming that i have been a disgrace to him and the rest of the world, the judge offers me a small trophy for sportsmanship, and i accept.

     

    that was pretty weird.

     

    personally, i think that there are others that are weirder, but this was pretty freaky. i ended up getting a 4.0/5.0 in the tournament.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #186

    Samsch

    wagnerk wrote:

    oh yeah. i had this weird time once.

    a couple of years ago, i was in a tournament, and i was playing this guy and easily checkmated him, and he kept denying checkmate. after he hadn't playe a move for 5 minutes just trying to find the move that would stop checkmate, i called over a judge and he judged the situation as checkmate.

    the guy started freaking out like he was having a hallucination of a monster, and then went under the table crying that i had somehow disrespected the guy's family.

    i hadn't done anything except for win the game.

    he kept freaking out and then the judge signed on his board that i had won and the person under the table had lost.

    afterward, even while the guy under the table is claiming that i have been a disgrace to him and the rest of the world, the judge offers me a small trophy for sportsmanship, and i accept.

     

    that was pretty weird.

     

    personally, i think that there are others that are weirder, but this was pretty freaky. i ended up getting a 4.0/5.0 in the tournament.

    lol, nice :)

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #187

    ClavierCavalier

    This reminds me of this joke chess puzzle:

    The solution is to promote the pawn to a black knight.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #188

    BigAlex

    I have a story!

    Once I was playing a blitz tournament and as my game finished I started to watch one of the top tables. The game was in the last minute. All of a sudden white promoted a pawn to a queen but there was none spare queen available so he grabbed a rook and put it upside down telling this is a queen, then the other player said: No it's a rook. Then they started quarreling about whetherthe upside down rook was a rook or a queen then the Black flag fell... The black player then angrily threw all pieces against the white player in a childish manner. Tense situation

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #189

    FirebrandX

    BigAlex wrote:

    I have a story!

    Once I was playing a blitz tournament and as my game finished I started to watch one of the top tables. The game was in the last minute. All of a sudden white promoted a pawn to a queen but there was none spare queen available so he grabbed a rook and put it upside down telling this is a queen, then the other player said: No it's a rook. Then they started quarreling about whetherthe upside down rook was a rook or a queen then the Black flag fell... The black player then angrily threw all pieces against the white player in a childish manner. Tense situation

    The moment the opponent tried to claim it was still a rook, I'd have immediately paused the game clock to signal a TD to provide a queen. Never get into an argument with the opponent while the clock is running. That's just foolish.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #190

    BigAlex

    I agree.... The TD told him he should have done this....

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #191

    stevenaaus

    Czechman wrote:

    Back in the early 70s I played on a team in Detroit. We had to play 5 rounds in 5 consecutive weeks and I was playing the last board in our clubs lowest rated team.

    I won all four of my previous games and when I showed up to play the 5th I was informed that our club president has brought in a ringer to play the first board, essentially moving everyone down one board bumping me off the team.

    I walked out and never played another game of chess until just over a year ago.

    The joke's on me... all those years wasted. I suck today because of my bruised ego 35+ years ago.

    Chess players don't have egos. Wait... Oh yeah ;)

    But being bumped like that sucks :(

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #193

    Samsch

    JMB2010 wrote:

    This isn't OTB, actually a US Chess League game, but this was very interesting.

    I am in a difficult ending when, to my surprise and excitement, my opponent allows me a move to get a 3-fold repitition. To make sure the claim goes through, I press the draw button, and it comes through as an offer of a draw, which he, of course declines. Then I make my move and press the draw button again, assuming that it goes through as a claim. It goes through as an offer AGAIN. At this point he probably assumes I am just being annoying, and declines again. Later, when the draw was certain, I was engineering a forced sequence of checks to ice the draw. After doing this for a couple of moves, he offers a draw. However, since I am mechanically making moves, I don't see it and make another move. Then, to my bewilderment, HE claims the draw on reptition. How did he do it and I couldn't? Anyway, if I had lost the game, I would have been mad due to the earlier repitition. Plus, the game could've ended on move 46 instead of 106.

    Later I look back at the game and discover, shocker, there was no reptition. But then at some tourney someone asks me why didn't I claim the draw by repitition. I look back again and discover, shocker, it's back again!

    The game was played on chess.com that particular week and I'm wondering why this happened.

    :P

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #195

    mashanator

    JMB2010 wrote:

    http://www.uschessleague.com/games2/liuburke12.htm

    By the way, that is the game link. I was black and the position occurs after MY 36th, 38th, and 40th moves, with white to move! Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Threefold repetition does not necessarily have to be 3 moves in a row, just exactly the same position repeating 3 times with the same player to move. They could be 40 moves apart although humans wouldn't be too likely to notice that.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #197

    Samsch

    JMB2010 wrote:
    mashanator wrote:
    JMB2010 wrote:

    http://www.uschessleague.com/games2/liuburke12.htm

    By the way, that is the game link. I was black and the position occurs after MY 36th, 38th, and 40th moves, with white to move! Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Threefold repetition does not necessarily have to be 3 moves in a row, just exactly the same position repeating 3 times with the same player to move. They could be 40 moves apart although humans wouldn't be too likely to notice that.

    Uhhh... I know :-) It was the same position each time.

    :P

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #198

    piphilologist

    mashanator wrote:
    Threefold repetition does not necessarily have to be 3 moves in a row, just exactly the same position repeating 3 times with the same player to move. They could be 40 moves apart although humans wouldn't be too likely to notice that.

    I once saw a successful 3-move-repition claim on about move 160 when the positions were 11 moves apart.

  • 19 months ago · Quote · #200

    FirebrandX

    JMB2010 wrote:

    http://www.uschessleague.com/games2/liuburke12.htm

    By the way, that is the game link. I was black and the position occurs after MY 36th, 38th, and 40th moves, with white to move! Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Probably bad site code. Your opponent was able to claim 3 fold before making his move, whereas your 3-fold came after your move. The site code prevented you from claiming the 3-fold, because it came after you had to make your move. It's wrong for the site to do that of course, but the site is thinking you shouldn't be allowed to claim a draw on your opponent's turn. You must claim before moving, but that fails to cover scenarios like this.


Back to Top

Post your reply: