Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What is the most SURPRISING incident happen with you while playing OTB tourney?


  • 24 months ago · Quote · #161

    FirebrandX

    Well I hope that Scott character got arrested for making a false accusation, and then got the crap sued out of him. There should be a law against that.

    I never really saw much of anything exciting in my tournaments, other than witnessing an IM sending signals to one of his students during the game. The other player reported him to the TD, but nothing was done because the TD always bent over backwards for titled players.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #162

    ThrillerFan

    FirebrandX wrote:

    Well I hope that Scott character got arrested for making a false accusation, and then got the crap sued out of him. There should be a law against that.

    I never really saw much of anything exciting in my tournaments, other than witnessing an IM sending signals to one of his students during the game. The other player reported him to the TD, but nothing was done because the TD always bent over backwards for titled players.

    OMG, where was this?  This way I know where never to go!  If the TD just let that slide after being reported, especially if I'm the one that reported it, I'd be chewing the TD's ear off, and so as to avoid being expelled, I'd be giving him explitives to the end of eternity after the last round!

    As for those on my list of Organizers and/or TDs that I would avoid, and highly recommend all others avoid, that list is very short right now, but it looks like it will have a 3rd added to the list.  The worst ones are:

    - Frank Berry - He's just an absolutely obnoxious human being.  I've had the misfortune of playing him twice, once in SC, once in Fort Lauderdale at the US Open (a win and a draw, respectively).  I understand he runs tournaments in Oklahoma

    - The Cajun Chess Association - I went to 2 of their events.  The first one, in Orlando in October 2003, the guys that ran it were off and busy drinking or doing whatever else.  Nobody was there to direct.  In 2006, In Charlotte, after they changed management, the woman who did registration and book sales was nice, and appeared to be intelligent, but they bring only 1 director for a 120 player weekend tournament, and he f'ing plays in it!  You should NEVER have a tournament over 50 players without a NON-PLAYING Director!  Small little 10 or 20 player tournaments where the director plays, fine!  120 player tournament with 3 directors, one of which playing, fine!  But NOT 120 players, 1 director, and he plays.

    So those are two organizers I won't play in tournaments at again.  I don't support jacka$$e$, and I surely don't support an organization that failed miserably twice, both due to things that were very much under their own control, not extenuating circumstances!

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #163

    FirebrandX

    ThrillerFan wrote:
    FirebrandX wrote:

    Well I hope that Scott character got arrested for making a false accusation, and then got the crap sued out of him. There should be a law against that.

    I never really saw much of anything exciting in my tournaments, other than witnessing an IM sending signals to one of his students during the game. The other player reported him to the TD, but nothing was done because the TD always bent over backwards for titled players.

    OMG, where was this?  This way I know where never to go!  If the TD just let that slide after being reported, especially if I'm the one that reported it, I'd be chewing the TD's ear off, and so as to avoid being expelled, I'd be giving him explitives to the end of eternity after the last round!

    As for those on my list of Organizers and/or TDs that I would avoid, and highly recommend all others avoid, that list is very short right now, but it looks like it will have a 3rd added to the list.  The worst ones are:

    - Frank Berry - He's just an absolutely obnoxious human being.  I've had the misfortune of playing him twice, once in SC, once in Fort Lauderdale at the US Open (a win and a draw, respectively).  I understand he runs tournaments in Oklahoma

    Lol @ Frank Berry. I've particpated in a couple of the Oklahoma events when my team (Texas) was playing the Okie team in a Red River Shootout. As bad as you think he is/was, his tournament was run quite a bit better than the TD I was referring to. I don't want to give the details (names) on the incident in question since I could be accused of false accusations myself, but I know the incident happened because I was friends with the victim. He even told me how the IM realized he'd been caught in the act, so the IM hurridly followed him as he went to report it to the TD just so he could deny it on the spot. Now I ask, how would he even know what my friend was going to complain about unless he knew what he'd done?

    Anyway, my last run-in with the TD was when I finally beat his daughter in the final round of an open swiss. Every time he paired us, his daughter got white and would end up beating me. Even in the last game she got white, but I changed my opening repertoire and easily beat her. The TD then tried to log it in his computer as yet another win for her, but I caught it and refused to leave until I watched him correct the entry. He resisted for several minutes, but I wouldn't back down. After that, I never played in another one of his tournaments again.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #164

    ponz111

    Reb. to answer your question 3 wins over current GMs no losses or draws.

    However two of the GMs were close to being GMs but not quite there when I won from them.

    I don't know about IMs but it has to be plus. 

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #167

    fdar

    Maybe amateur champion?

    That seems like the right thing if he's around ~2100.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #169

    ponz111

    The time control vs the over the board grand master were standard for USCF tournaments whatever that was back 39 years ago maybe 40 moves in first 2 hours?

    Vs the correspondence GMs the games took approximately a year each.

    I did notice I won from an "SIM" who was the only player I know to be an international master now. I was not aware of titles when I was playing other than semi titles such as US former champ over the board or winner of a correspondence national championship--which are not titles.

    I needed 3 more games to get a permanent ICCF correspondence rating and unfortunately at first they were going to rate the prelims to the United States Correspondence Chess Championship where I did quite well in 3 preliminary sections and would have boosted my rating but then a new administrator decided not to count those games. I won 2 of 3 of those sections and scored 10 1/2   1 1/2 in the 3rd. This would have been more than 25 games rated--more than the 3 I needed..

    So a very weird situation where I did not get a permanent ICCF rating due to 25 some games NOT being rated.  And earlier, some 39 years ago, I did not get my USCF master title [for a 2200 USCF rating] because 8 games I played [and I won all 8] were not rated....Cry

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #170

    anpu3

    @ThrillerFan  I was there that day.  A friend & I went to Rock Hill on a whim just to observe the tourney.  We weren't going to play so we were in no hurry to get there.  But we arrived just in time to see police in the hallway "escorting" Chris away.  Needless to say, we both wondered what the freak was going on.

    A year or two later I played S. G-Bell in the Class Championship at Cherokee, NC.  Nice venue btw.  Anyway, our game was about dead even but I was in time trouble.  At one point he got up sporting his now graying long hippie hair and began to do some type of yogi stretching exercises.  Very distracting but still I tried to focus my attention on the board.  Sadly, my skills weren't up to the task because he beat me in a classic Lucena ending which he obviously had memorized by heart (as we all should),

      Anyway, he was a weird dude.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #171

    FirebrandX

    anpu3 wrote:


    A year or two later I played S. G-Bell in the Class Championship at Cherokee, NC.  Nice venue btw.  Anyway, our game was about dead even but I was in time trouble.  At one point he got up sporting his now graying long hippie hair and began to do some type of yogi stretching exercises.  Very distracting but still I tried to focus my attention on the board.  Sadly, my skills weren't up to the task because he beat me in a classic Lucena ending which he obviously had memorized by heart (as we all should),

      Anyway, he was a weird dude.

    I googled the guy and found this funny article:

    http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2009/06/02/589126/nobody-beats-the-wiz-chess-master.html

    It seems you need to only break 1500 USCF to consider yourself a chess "expert" and hold simuls. I'd have squashed that peanut in a one-on-one game.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #173

    N2UHC

    The most surprising incident happen at a chess tournament?

    ...and when we got home, we found a HOOK hanging from the CAR DOOR!!!

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #174

    waffllemaster

    FirebrandX wrote:

    Anyway, my last run-in with the TD was when I finally beat his daughter in the final round of an open swiss. Every time he paired us, his daughter got white and would end up beating me. Even in the last game she got white, but I changed my opening repertoire and easily beat her. The TD then tried to log it in his computer as yet another win for her, but I caught it and refused to leave until I watched him correct the entry. He resisted for several minutes, but I wouldn't back down. After that, I never played in another one of his tournaments again.

    Wow that's pretty terrible.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #175

    waffllemaster

    ThrillerFan wrote:

    - Frank Berry - He's just an absolutely obnoxious human being.  I've had the misfortune of playing him twice, once in SC, once in Fort Lauderdale at the US Open (a win and a draw, respectively).  I understand he runs tournaments in Oklahoma

    I've been to at least two of his tournaments before, billed as "North America Open."  I've never played him OTB (played his brother once), so I don't know how obnoxious he may be, but the tournaments were well run.

    One of the days before the last round they had something like 20 pizzas delivered, free to whoever wanted some pizza.

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #176

    latvianlover

    Playing in a tournament in Vegas. It was my first time in Vegas, so I guess I stayed out a little too late (got to my room at 4:30 am, morning round at 7:00). While playing my first game, my opponent threatened mate. I studied and found a way out of it that started with moving my King's Rook. Sat back to review, picked up my coffee . . . and it was my Queen's Rook! Oops

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #177

    solskytz

    Beautiful story! It communicates especially well to other coffee lovers, such as myself. 

    Going to make one now, but I'm going to watch very carefully that I don't drink out of my own queen's rook by mistake. 

    I'll be drinking to successful defenses against mating threats!

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #178

    Abhishek2

    latvianlover wrote:

    Playing in a tournament in Vegas. It was my first time in Vegas, so I guess I stayed out a little too late (got to my room at 4:30 am, morning round at 7:00). While playing my first game, my opponent threatened mate. I studied and found a way out of it that started with moving my King's Rook. Sat back to review, picked up my coffee . . . and it was my Queen's Rook! Oops

    are yougoing to the one in a few weeks?

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #179

    solskytz

    Bobby Fischer wanted to have a house in the shape of a rook. Maybe it will pay you to get LatvianLover a coffee cup in the shape of a rook before you play him in Vegas .. you never know!

  • 24 months ago · Quote · #180

    Abhishek2

    you and your coffee chess. Laughing


Back to Top

Post your reply: