Forums

What should 1400 USCF rated player study?

Sort:
happyface79

I like it but it seems like tactics is a little over board on this schedule.

bigpoison

I think it's probable that he's among us.  Right here, even.

shell_knight
bigpoison wrote:

I think it's probable that he's among us.  Right here, even.

Laughing

AKAL1

Tactics is important, but you have to consciously remember to check for them and calculate

, even in boring positions. Let me take an example from one of the games in which I lose "magnificently"

rowsweep

i would watch the FOXY Openings DVD series for an opening of your choice

happyface79

What if we already have an opening?

Sceadungen

Tactics then more tactics then some more.

I_Am_Second
happyface79 wrote:

What if we already have an opening?

If you already have openings you like to play.  Study, and understand the principles, and ideas behind that opening, why the moves are made.  It will do you no good to memorize lines of theory yet.  Study, and learn the pawn formations in those openings.  Andrew Soltis book on Pawn Structure is excellent. 

If youre comfortable doing it.  Post some of your games with white and black.  You have the entire chess.com community here to help. 

blueemu
I_Am_Second wrote:Post some of your games with white and black.  You have the entire chess.com community here to help. 

That is: you have at least a dozen courteous and helpful players ready to comment on your games, and several times that number of trolls.

I_Am_Second
blueemu wrote:
I_Am_Second wrote:Post some of your games with white and black.  You have the entire chess.com community here to help. 

That is: you have at least a dozen courteous and helpful players ready to comment on your games, and several times that number of trolls.

And this is exactly what i was trying to avoid :-)  But yea...you are correct

happyface79

Why trolls have to be trolls...

I_Am_Second
happyface79 wrote:

Why trolls have to be trolls...

The annonymity of the internet allows everyone to be brave.  Its like beer, but without the hangover, and you dont have puke on your clothes.

happyface79

lol yeah

VLaurenT

Hijodelaluna banned. Not sure you were referring to him earlier, but his profile and post were highly suspect.

Roybal

I'm a high 1300 almost 1400. I do 200 tac tics daily and I'm at 1600 there so what do I need to do to get to 1600