Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What the "++" means?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

True_Beginner

Hi guys, this is my another beginner's question about chess.
    What the "++" mark means?
    Soma say it means checkmate, some say it means double-check (which isn't always a checkmate)
    So, which one?
    Thanks, in advance.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

DrSpudnik

if "+" is check, "++" looks like double check, especially since "#" is checkmate.

Is there a double check in the position?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

ivandh

I have seen ++ used to mean checkmate. In either usage it is not standard...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

sluck72

++ used to be check mate. You don't see it that often anymore since most use #. I laughed at ++ being double check. Sealed

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

SonofPearl

Wikipedia says:

Check and checkmate

A move which places the opponent's king in check usually has the notation "+" appended. Or sometimes a dagger is used: "". Or the abbreviation: ch. Double check is commonly notated the same as check, but is sometimes represented specially as dbl ch, or in older books as "++". The Encyclopedia of Chess Openings omits any indication of check.

Checkmate at the completion of moves can be notated as "#" (some use "++" instead, but the USCF recommends "#"). Or the word mate is commonly used. Occasionally the double dagger is seen: "".

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

whirlwind2011

@OP: ivandh is correct, as to the symbol's usage. Most publications these days, as far as I've seen, use ++ to mean double check. This is a meaningless distinction, though, and monographs only use it trivially, merely to enlighten the reader to the fact that a double check has arisen in the position. Beyond this, double check does not matter: a check is a check, regardless of whether it's "double." That is why Chess.com does not use ++ in the move lists whenever a double check occurs.

As far as I can remember, ++ also used to mean checkmate, which also was already stated above. Indeed, this was how I was originally taught to write a checkmating move.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

goldendog

In MCO-10, + meant a distinct superiority and ++ meant a winning advantage.

I haven't seen that usage in a long time.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

nameno1had

I had a wierd thought about double check... I have never seen that in notation...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

nameno1had

True_Beginner wrote:

Hi guys, this is my another beginner's question about chess.
    What the "++" mark means?
    Soma say it means checkmate, some say it means double-check (which isn't always a checkmate)
    So, which one?
    Thanks, in advance.

# this is checkmate....i am gonna guess double check for the ++

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

DrSpudnik

double plus ungood

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

-waller-

I have always used ++ for double check, and # for checkmate. It's fairly good notation I think.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

wishiwonthatone

DrSpudnik wrote:

double plus ungood

which, like all double negatives, means really really good.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

DrSpudnik

Orwell wasn't too specific, so we need to take the meaning out of the context.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

ivandh

DrSpudnik wrote:

double plus ungood

++

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

Warbler

according to page 218 of the US Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess 5th Edition  http://www.uscfsales.com/product_p/b0012rh.htm

the "++" means checkmate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

-waller-

What do they say the notation is for double check?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #17

True_Beginner

Warbler wrote:

according to page 218 of the US Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess 5th Edition  http://www.uscfsales.com/product_p/b0012rh.htm

Nah, those were what I mean.

So?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #18

bastiaan

++ is checkmate, + is check or double check

• 3 years ago · Quote · #19

Warbler

-waller- wrote:

What do they say the notation is for double check?

the book doesn't give a notation for double check.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #20

Warbler

True_Beginner wrote:
    Warbler wrote:

Nah, those were what I mean.

huh?

True_Beginner wrote:
    So?

um, there was discussion going as to whether "++" meant double check or checkmate.  I just thought I'd see what the official rule book for the USCF says about it and post that."     btw, the USCF is the governing body of chess in American and they are affiliated with FIDE, the governing body of chess around the world.

Post your reply: