Forums

what to play against SCOTCH GAMBIT?

Sort:
sam_chessgenius

1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4. Now i have tried all options as 4th move as black like Bb4, Bc5, d6, Nf6 (dont like when Ng5 and even its main line after e5 push, white's e and f  pawn makes trouble for black). so now i m going to try surprise move 4....g6 ! That was played by some GMs including 2720 rated Mamedyarov. whats your opinion friends???

kakawati

i am very relevant, helpful and nice person....i like and love so much playing chess...pls don't make me wait 5 mins. before i could play another game....thank you to chess.com helping me on my leisure time...

kakawati

i would like to play with my friend from vegas...NANG GIGIGIL his user name...please help locate for me....thank you again.....

sam_chessgenius

THANKS IM PFREN, your advise is helpful. 5.... d5 i dont like due to white's e and f pawn makes trouble for black, 5....Ng4  and 5....Ne4 both are good, i just seen it. thanks so muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! my problem is over now. :)would like to add u as friend 

Rohan_G

IM pfren, I disagree that 5...Ng4 is perfectly ok, because of 6.Bxf7+ Kxf7 7.Ng5+ Ke8 8.Qxg5. Maybe for a higher rated player this is fine as black? But it is enough of a danger for me to avoid the move.

TitanCG

4...d6 is possible if you're ok with a Philidor. 

5.c3 Ne5 6.Nxe5 de 7.Qb3 Qe7 8.O-O c6! 9.f4 b5 10.Bd3 Qc5 is the only dangerous thing you need to know about. Be careful not to get stuck in this position a tempo down.

Andre_Harding

In 2010, Christopher Gu played the Scotch Gambit against me at the Hartford Open (he was rated about 2000 then, he is around 2400 now). I was not really prepared for it and thought upwards of 10 minutes what I would do (it was a 40/2 game).

I think I made the right choice: 4...d6. I developed modestly as in an Antoshin Philidor, but slightly outplayed him, eventually earning a small edge but only enough to draw. Gu proved to be a relatively balanced player, but I feel confident I would have beaten other similarly-rated players who were hardened "gambiteers."

Without prep, go for a position-type they are likely to be uncomfortable with and outplay them (someone offering a pawn early is probably looking for a wide-open battle rather than a maneuvering game).

If you ARE prepared, just punish them!

McHeath

Pfren´s probably going to punish me, but I like 4...Bb4+. 5.c3 is the only good answer (5.Bd2 or Nd2 are met by Qe7), then 5... Bc5. The point is that White´s c-pawn blocks c3 for the normal development of his knight. 6.Nf6 would be met by ... d5 then 7.... Na5.

Otomun

After 6. cxd4, White has c3 open for his knight and a healthy center.

McHeath

After 6.cxd4, Black has again Bb4+ followed by 7... Qe7, winning a centre P

Otomun

6...Bb4+ 7. Nc3 Qe7 8. O-O. Can't win the pawn on e4 because of a possible Re1.

New_Member24

@Rohan_G: That position is not good for white. After 8. Qxg4 h6 9. Nf3 d6 10. Qe4 dxe5 11. Nxe5 Qf6 black is threatening Bf5 which will allow Kh7. Black has the bishop pair in an open position, is ahead in development, has more space, and has a safe king. 

@Mcheath: Black is basically lost after 7... Qe7 since after 8. O-O You can't take the e pawn due to Re1. 

Edit: Darn it! Ninja'd by Pfren.

Rohan_G

Yes I agree with you. 9.Nf3 d6 10.Qe4 dxe5 and White is in trouble. Thank you for your prompt response to my questioning comment, IM pfren.

New_Member24
Rohan_G wrote:

Yes I agree with you. 9.Nf3 d6 10.Qe4 dxe5 and White is in trouble. Thank you for your prompt response to my questioning comment, IM pfren.

di..did IM Pfren just get the credit for my analysis!? =(

Rohan_G

No New_Member24, lol, I posted my comment before yours appeared to me. It is annoying that comments don't appear immediately as I am used to in a forum discusion. The Qe4 dxe5 was what I envisaged before I read your comment. Thanks for your response too.