Forums

What will be the impact of chess being solved?

Sort:
nameno1had

ilikeflags wrote:

so this means nameass and andy are the same.  

That is an interesting theory.... let's shoot for hypothesis....it is more believable, atleast scientifically speaking....what do you like flags?

ilikeflags

i like flags.  

bigpoison
Ziryab wrote:
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I am not a milky way or three musketeers fan....and what hell is nugget ?

I'm not crazy about Milkyways, myself. Nugget is candy foam, I think.

Nugget is a precious stone; nougat is candy.

No, no, no.  A nugget is a bud from a cannabis sativa plant. 

bigpoison
goldendog wrote:

Since my Like list is ridiculously long, here's my Don't Bother list:

Oh Henry!

Mr Goodbar

5th Avenue

Zagnut

Zero

Almond Joy

Salted Nut Roll

Clark Bar

Idaho Spud

Not much of a coconut fan, though I like Mounds.

Mountain Bars are fine if they are fresh. Big Cherry is similar and better, imo. Reese's cups go bad more quickly than most bars, usually drying up inside. A fresh Payday is nice; a not so fresh one a disappointment.

Shows what kinda' taste dogs have.  Those three are my favourites.

goldendog

But I like those last three (four)!

nameno1had

Could you clarify your " don't bother list"...but you like them still ? Smile

BTW Goldie...I gotta better program, I am compiling some analyses for staff...Calamondin has been working with me...I got two accounts already

Sorry for the troubles previously....

Ziryab
bigpoison wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I am not a milky way or three musketeers fan....and what hell is nugget ?

I'm not crazy about Milkyways, myself. Nugget is candy foam, I think.

Nugget is a precious stone; nougat is candy.

No, no, no.  A nugget is a bud from a cannabis sativa plant. 

Yes, of course. Hence the relationship to candy.

goldendog
nameno1had wrote:

Could you clarify your " don't bother list"...but you like them still ?

BTW Goldie...I gotta better program, I am compiling some analyses for staff...Calamondin has been working with me...I got two accounts already

Sorry for the troubles previously....

The four at the bottom are good, if not time-ravaged. Reese's, Butterfingers, and Mountain Bars are often distressed candy but nice when fresh. Paydays are sometimes a little stale.

nameno1had

yeah I agree paydays are stale sometimes, but I also have notced when unshelling peanuts, they are stale too....so I am used to them.....I love paydays and wish they'd resurrect the choclate covered version....do you like the reese's fast break ?

Conflagration_Planet

It seems like Paydays were made different when I was a kid. I don't mean with chocolate. Just that the candy was different, and better tasting.

goldendog
nameno1had wrote:

yeah I agree paydays are stale sometimes, but I also have notced when unshelling peanuts, they are stale too....so I am used to them.....I love paydays and wish they'd resurrect the choclate covered version....do you like the reese's fast break ?

They had a chocolate-covered Payday in the 80s but it was fake chocolate, so I didn't care for them. Good idea though.

I guess they briefly had a special, real chocolate-covered one much later but I don't think I even saw it.

I like the Fastbreak and the Nutrageous. The Whipps are fake chocolate and less a favorite. I guess the easter egg Reese's went to fake chocolate as well.

Peanuts and chocolate: winning combo for me.

goldendog

It seems like Paydays were made different when I was a kid. I don't mean with chocolate. Just that the candy was different, and better tasting.

I think the innards were more vanilla-fudgy then?

Memory can be tricky.

nameno1had

I look at chocolate similarly to wine....the most expensive isn't ncessarily the best tasting or most satisfying and the cheap stuff is certainly bitter...

Conflagration_Planet
goldendog wrote:

I think the innards were more vanilla-fudgy then?

Memory can be tricky.

Could be. I just know I'm not crazy about em now.

Ziryab
goldendog wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

They had a chocolate-covered Payday in the 80s but it was fake chocolate, so I didn't care for them. Good idea though.

I guess they briefly had a special, real chocolate-covered one much later but I don't think I even saw it.

I like the Fastbreak and the Nutrageous. The Whipps are fake chocolate and less a favorite. I guess the easter egg Reese's went to fake chocolate as well.

Peanuts and chocolate: winning combo for me.

Fake is the new real.

TheGrobe
Ziryab wrote:

Fake is the news reel.

Also.

TheGrobe

Even if there were, math still has everyday utility so the comparison's pretty flawed for a number of reasons.

Tic-tac-toe is solved and it's still played extensively.

Checkers (or Draughts) is solved and it too is still played extensively.

Connect four is solved, yet I still see them in the stores....

TheGrobe

Yeah, I agree.  Not sure what you're unclear about -- I'm simply adding that the fact that there is everyday utility for even the simplest math means that there are other compelling reasons that folks would continue to use it regardless.  Not so with idle games like Chess and the others I listed above.

TheGrobe
ludrah wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Yeah, I agree.  Not sure what you're unclear about -- I'm simply adding that the fact that there is everyday utility for even the simplest math means that there are other compelling reasons that folks would continue to use it regardless.  Not so with idle games like Chess and the others I listed above.

I'm unclear about the meaning of "even there were such a thing as solving mathematics[...]". What it seems to me that you wrote is that if a statement that doesn't have a meaning happens to be true, that would imply something. Both the said statement and the implied something being specified.

Kind of like:

Bear green toe are big very ("statement" without meaning) => The sky is blue (implied statement)

Let me try it this way:

Someone else: Bear green toe are big very ("statement" without meaning) => The sky is blue (implied statement)

You: Bears don't have green toes.

Me: Even if they did, it would have little bearing on the colour of the sky.

Ziryab
ludrah wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

I'm unclear about the meaning of "even there were such a thing as solving mathematics[...]". What it seems to me that you wrote is that if a statement that doesn't have a meaning happens to be true, that would imply something. Both the said statement and the implied something being specified.

Kind of like:

Bear green toe are big very ("statement" without meaning) => The sky is blue (implied statement)

That bear needs to see a vet.