Forums

What's is Magnus Carlsen's IQ?

Sort:
renumeratedfrog01
AndyClifton

Who gives a dump?

Twobit

He was probably never tested. He said he did not know in an interview. But here is the interesting thing; he admitted that many times he did not calculate moves, but went by how a certain move "felt". This feeling in reality is the result of the synthesized outcome of thousands of games , subconsciously. This is similar to Koltanowski's description of his talent in blindfold chess. So it may be more interesting to now his EQ (emotional quotient).

helltank
Twobit wrote:

He was probably never tested. He said he did not know in an interview. But here is the interesting thing; he admitted that many times he did not calculate moves, but went by how a certain move "felt". This feeling in reality is the result of the synthesized outcome of thousands of games , subconsciously. This is similar to Koltanowski's description of his talent in blindfold chess. So it may be more interesting to now his EQ (emotional quotient).

Have you read Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Blink"?

Crazychessplaya

Around 89.

AndyClifton

300 kazillion!

helltank

azziralc

69?

James_Bond_Fan

I thinki players like Carlsen have a huge staff of Granmasters proviging him with variations, openings, player-profiles soup to nuts. Players like Carlsen are fed with newest comp-lines (Fischer also critizised that, as far as i remember). That means  they dont need intelligence nor creativity. The only task they follow up is to recall lines, patterns and moves the up to date chessprograms gave them.This is professional sports, we only see the event, but not behind the scene.

Since an amateur has not such a staff behind working him, we have no chance.

heinzie

Around 2826.0, just look it up on the FIDE IQ site

Twobit

So, you can find it on the net:

Garry Kasparov: 190

Bobby Fischer: 167

Judith Polgar: 170

Robert Byrne: 170

But Carlsen, should we guess, would be around 180-190

renumeratedfrog01

Who cares about Judith Polgar? she's ranked like #50 in the world....

Twobit

I do care about Judith Polgar.

AndyClifton

Again...WHO CARES?

Markle

# 50 in the world is pretty good if you ask me, she could easily kick our butts.

VicB

TwoBit,

Probably not that it matters a great deal, but the figure I have heard

for Fischer's IQ is most often : 187 not 167.

--Vic.

trysts

He doesn't need a test, he's figuring it out on his own...

http://www.chessbase.de/2006/amsterdam/Carlsen,Magnus.JPG

Kodfish

He can't be too smart.  He spends all his time playing stupid board games.

Shivsky

On a related note, what is Usain Bolt's diet plan like?

Twobit
I wonder though if there is any real correlation in between IQ and chess skills. Meaning that although strong players may have higher IQ, a higher IQ does not automatically guarantee a GM level skill. It all depends on how early a player starts playing (seriously). As you get older, certain undeveloped neural pathway potentials are lost, forever. That is why it is so hard to learn a second language when you are older or say, to learn to ride a unicycle, learn to play an instrument, etc. Even our beloved Judith Polgar was learning the Ruy Lopez when we were happy to sing along with Barney.