Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What's is Magnus Carlsen's IQ?

• 7 months ago · Quote · #381

Likhit1

nameno1had wrote:
    Likhit1 wrote:
    indurain wrote:

Education and intelligence 

Unfortunately a lot of people assume that a given level of education is an indicator of intelligence. In my experience it is anything but.

When I was at school, the teacher used the word "dunce" to describe one boy in our class. Clearly this chap had even less interest in the books than the rest of us. But I remember the teacher giving him a hard time.

Outside of school this same boy was always tinkering with car engines. His interest in cars far outweighed any academic ambitions.

Some years after we left school, those of us who had gone on to university etc could not have missed the newspaper reports showing that same boy being paid £1 million pounds in 1971 by Rolls Royce for the patent which he developed for an engine modification. The same teachers who called this boy a dunce, could only dream of that kind of money.

Point is that intelligence has many different markers.

+1.Completely agree with you.Even Thomas Alva Edison and Albert Einstein's teachers called them a dunce.

Edison referred to Tesla as beneath him, wouldn't listen to him or pay him for his work and each in their own way were definitely geniuses, if you ask me. I'd say Tesla was the more brilliant of the two but, I have given more merit, in later years, to Edison's work. I think perhaps had Tesla lived long enough, he would have also. I think the same could be said of Edison.

In fact, I asked myself the other day, what would the world have been like, if they'd have respected each other, taken the time to realize the relevance of their respective works and been willing to work together where applicable and be there for one another otherwise ?

True.Tesla is extremely underrated tbh.Few people know of his extraordinary brilliance with machines.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #382

Sickwithstrategy

I think its safe to say the highest rated chess player in history is going to be a genius.. Therefore IQ and chess ability interlink

• 6 months ago · Quote · #383

fburton

Sickwithstrategy wrote:

I think its safe to say the highest rated chess player in history is going to be a genius.. Therefore IQ and chess ability interlink

A genius at chess for sure. I'm not yet convinced (because I haven't seen the evidence) that chess ability and IQ are particularly strongly correlated.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #384

btickler

Sickwithstrategy wrote:

"I think it's safe to say that licorice and ice cream sundaes taste good...therefore licorice ice cream sundaes are everyone's favorite sundae.  So say I, and there's your proof."

Just as ridiculous a statement.

Post your reply: