Forums

what's the main difference between a 1300 and a 1800 player?

Sort:
pretzel2

it may be but i was hoping for a first source. there was no link.

DIBJANNO

Enough said.

DjonniDerevnja
CM_grandmasterjunior wrote:

Recently i played a number of 1300s and i noticed the following.   

1) inadequate theory> here are two short clips of the games

These games show that 1300s don't know theory and often neglect basic principles.

The next two games illustrate that 1300s often make a positional mistake giving their opponent more space which I used to launch a kingside attack

lack and neglect of basic principles aswell as an under deleloped intuition are what my experience shows are the biggest weaknesses of 1300s

I think we at 1300-1400 has big problems with many openings, both because of lack of positional understanding and also because we do not really know many openings well. If I survive the opening, I may have a good game, but this weekend was horrible.  A 2034 and a 1730 crushed me after bad opening errors, due to lack of knowledge and making positional and material blunders . The games never became interesting. It was too ugly.  The experienced players knows their openings. 

In Daily-correspondence I perform a lot better, because I have the openingbook.

misterbasic
1300 players generally have no clue how to convert winning endgames and will often manage to lose endgames that should be drawn. 1800 players are generally somewhat competent at elementary endgames.

1300s also tend to get so wrapped up in their own plans that they often forget to think about what their opponent is trying to do.

Another important difference is that 1300s often commit multiple fatal blunders every game. 1800s still do this occasionally but it’s much less common.

I’m about 1850 now and I used to be 1300 years ago, so this is at least what the difference was for me.

I’ve played many 2000+ players, and I think the main difference between me and them is the fact that they are far more tactically accurate than me, pay better attention to detail, and have better opening knowledge and better grasp of positional subtleties.
Banraku89

Simply put 1800 rating is great for a mediocre player, average for good players and mediocre for the elite.

Optimissed

In rapid, the 1800 can plan a game and the 1300 can't, by and large. The 1300 tries all the time to win on time and so is incapable of improving. The 1800 is usually here to play chess and has more pride and understanding than to like winning on time. The main difference is the ability to plan and not to constantly blunder.

DreamscapeHorizons
Thanatos_01 wrote:

the main difference is that one is 500 elo ahead of the other

I was gonna put that. Good job.

DreamscapeHorizons

But seriously,  I think it's strategic understanding, that's the main difference. 

JabesBeans

1800-1900 = half decent players. imo

Optimissed

The 1300 probably makes dozens of mistakes in a game. The 1800 makes a handful.

hrarray
Makes less blunders and has better plans in the middlegame idk
GMPatzer

1800 rapid is 99.3 or 99.4 on chess.com I been as high as 1892 and consider myself a strong amateur player which I considered between 1800 - 2199 

I have decent knowledge in all parts of the game but  very incomplete, still get caught out often.

GMPatzer
Optimissed wrote: 

"The clock and time management is a big part of the game, learning to leave your self enough time to win the game is a critical skill." I have no shame in flagging the opponent as they have traded a better position then what they would of had for time."

In rapid, the 1800 can plan a game and the 1300 can't, by and large. The 1300 tries all the time to win on time and so is incapable of improving. The 1800 is usually here to play chess and has more pride and understanding than to like winning on time. The main difference is the ability to plan and not to constantly blunder.

RoobieRoo

anything under 2200 is super patzer, please lets not delude ourselves.

MaetsNori

A 500-point rating gap is monstrous, at any level.

The stronger player of these two will be superior at all aspects of the game.

Ziryab

Some 1300s play like 1800s, but only in Arena.

Ziryab
shangtsung111 wrote:

they are both easy

Puzzle rush reveals real skill.

Deadmanparty

So people who think it is worth the mental effort and those who would quit playing if they had to put that much effort into it.

lexiebkm

What about this game of nearly 1300 vs 1800+ ?

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/a-draw-in-an-endgame-against-much-higher-rated-player