Forums

What's you favorite chess movie?

Sort:
soulpower74

Knights Of The South Bronx. Looking forward to an upcoming movie about the chess program at I.S.318 in Brooklyn NY.

giantrobot

Fresh

Apachimous
[COMMENT DELETED]
doefmat

I love the chess game in 'Twin Peaks'. It was a long time ago when I saw it but as far as I can remember Cooper has to prevent that a piece gets captured because if it does, someone gets murdered.

soulpower74

Knights Of The South Bronx.Told story based on elementary school program I believe P.S.70 Bronx NY.

There is going to be a chess movie coming out soon focusing on MS 318 Brooklyn NY. JHS kids finished 2nd place in the HS National Championships !! It will be called "Brooklyn Castle"

About this project

WOW! We did it! Thank you to all of our backers for your overwhelmingly generous support. We're funded!!!! And we are finishing this movie :-)

AND a GIANT special thanks to Elliott Neff of Chess4Life.com and Raphael Neff of Chesshouse.com for donating 5k and taking our project over the finish line. So so very excited to have you both on board!!

AFTER WATCHING THE VIDEO FROM US UP TOP - PLEASE WATCH THE BROOKLYN CASTLE TRAILER HERE:

THE STORY:

Amidst financial crises and unprecedented public school budget cuts I.S. 318 in Brooklyn, New York has assembled the best junior high chess team in the nation. Brooklyn Castle follows five chess team members for one year, and documents their challenges and triumphs both on and off the chessboard.

WHY WE'RE MAKING THIS FILM:

When we began shooting 'Brooklyn Castle,' we mostly wanted to document a great story: An underserved school where kids were thriving and the staff was tirelessly dedicated. But as we shot, we realized the film was a counterpoint to the tired notion that public schools – and public school students – can only fail. When budget cuts suddenly threatened to destroy the programs that make the school special, we knew we had to chronicle this new turn in the story. I.S. 318 represented countless schools, and countless students, around the country – and the sheer unfairness of it all.

Brooklyn Castle is a documentary that is as much about the five young teens it follows as it is about the ability for public schools to do great things when they have the resources. Once we complete our film we will take it to cities across the country and have local screenings to raise awareness about how vital this afterschool program, and others like it, are for schools. We’re also organizing chess tournaments that pit I.S. 318’s chess team against those of some of the most brilliant minds in this country – at places like Harvard and Columbia and the Google campus – so the kids realize those places are within their reach, and word gets out that public schools across the country are suffering from the crushing effects of budget cuts. We learned in making this documentary that even with a staff that cares and students that work hard, a lack of resources can undermine even the most hard-won achievements.

WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH I.S. 318 RIGHT NOW?

Just this November Intermediate School 318 assistant principal and chess coach John Galvin charged $8,000 to his personal credit card so his students – members of I.S. 318’s champion chess team – could travel to a chess competition across the country. Eight thousand dollars is a lot of money for nearly all of us; on a teacher’s salary, it’s an astronomical sum. But not spending the money would’ve meant the I.S. 318 chess team – the best and winningest junior high chess team in the country, bar none – might not have been able to compete. John Galvin has fronted money for the team before, confident that by the year's end – after school fundraisers and vigorous efforts by Principal Fred Rubino to keep the chess program funded – he would be able to pay back his debt. But even with that confidence, we still think it's a pretty admirable thing for a teacher to do.

Then -- something incredible happened.

On December 2nd the I.S. 318 was featured in the New York Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-champion-school-chess-team-held-check-lack-funds-article-1.984892

And in response to this article a local Brooklyn power company stepped up and donated 25k to the team. It's pretty amazing and proof for us that community members respond to I.S. 318's story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn-power-company-donates-25-000-needy-318-chess-team-article-1.986212

Of course the school is beyond thrilled -- and we are too!

And if we can raise enough money to finish the film and support our outreach campaign, we can screen Brooklyn Castle in communities across the country and help raise awareness about the value of afterschool programs – hopefully helping other quality, yet underfunded, programs like the I.S. 318 chess team link up with a "power company" in their own community.

As of November 1, 2011, we are very close to completing Brooklyn Castle, but we’re still 20k away from a having a film that’s ready for theaters. Please help us finish our film so we can share the story of I.S. 318 with a nationwide audience and make a genuine, positive impact on public schools and school children.

To learn more about the project and join our update list please visit www.brooklyncastle.com

THE CAST OF BROOKLYN CASTLE:

JUSTUS - 6th Grader

Possessing a natural gift for chess, Justus is a rising star in the scholastic chess world. At just 11 years old, he is already rated 2100 and has been selected to join the United States Chess Federation’s esteemed All-American team — one of the highest national honors attainable by a young chess player. Justus struggles with the unwanted attention his immense talent commands, as well as the sky-high expectations it raises.

ALEXIS - 7th Grader

A meditative, thoughtful chess player, Alexis is one of the highest rated members of the I.S. 318 team. He sees chess, and entrance to one to New York City’s top tier public high schools, as the first step on the road to a promising career that will allow him to support his immigrant parents. But getting into a great school is based on the result of a single exam, and Alexis suffers under the strain of pressure from both outside and within.

ROCHELLE - 8th Grader

Having found chess at I.S. 318 to be a boy’s club, Rochelle was driven to prove she could not only be a formidable opponent against her male peers, she could outdo them. Three years later, her name sits atop the list of I.S. 318′s best players. Now Rochelle has her sights set even higher: She’s determined to become the first African-American female master in the history of chess.

POBO - 7th Grader

A charismatic student and natural politician, Pobo emerges as a big brother figure and leader to the other chess team members. Dubbing himself “Pobama,” the ambitious 12-year-old mounts a campaign to become president of the school, with the goal of restoring budget cuts that threaten I.S. 318′s afterschool programs, including chess.

Patrick - 6th Grader

For Patrick, who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, chess is more than a game, it’s a way to learn focus, concentration and patience. Although he has difficulty with some of the more complex strategies, he displays an endurance and commitment that promise to lead him not just to a higher rating, but to newfound confidence in his strengths – in both chess and life.

Elizabeth Vicary - I.S. 318 Chess Teacher and Chess Coach

A chess champion and the guiding force behind I.S. 318′s blue-ribbon chess team, Ms. Vicary has helped hundreds of kids go from not knowing how to move the pieces on the board to winning national titles. When she arrived at the school, the chess team was only 10 members strong and had never competed in a tournament. By the end of her first year, they’d won a national title. A tireless coach and mentor for her students, she instills I.S. 318′s kids with skills and confidence that will serve them long after they’ve graduated – and led the school to more national chess titles than any other junior high in the country.

John Galvin - I.S. 318 Assistant Principal and Chess Coach

Now in his 17th year at I.S. 318, Mr. Galvin is a veteran educator, dedicated chess coach and firm adherent of the notion that talent and hard work lead to success – an idea he impresses on the members of the chess team. He’s tough – but supportive – and his high expectations have led to the culture of success that pervades I.S. 318. When the Wall Street financial crisis begins to impact the school, he helps to mount a community-wide campaign to push against funding cuts and save the programs that make I.S. 318 great.

Ask a question

Have a question?If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.

Backers
$22,321
pledged of $20,000 goal
seconds to go

Funding Successful

This project successfully raised its funding goal on December 26.

Pledge $5 or morePledge $5 or more

11 Backers

A hearty thank you and a postcard sized print of the Brooklyn Castle film poster

Estimated Delivery:Mar 2012

Pledge $10 or morePledge $10 or more

14 Backers

A postcard sized print of the Brooklyn Castle film poster and a Brooklyn Castle button you can proudly wear.

Pledge $25 or morePledge $25 or more

11 Backers• Limited Reward (189 of 200 remaining)

Full size movie poster to hang in your room and a Brooklyn Castle button.

Pledge $35 or morePledge $35 or more

2 Backers• Limited Reward (28 of 30 remaining)

Learn how to play chess or brush up your skills with a 2 hour Brooklyn Castle chess workshop taught by IS 318 chess instructors, IS 318 chess team members and/or Brooklyn Castle chess masters. Get the skills of Pobo, Alexis, Rochelle, Justus and Patrick...or at least try!!

Estimated Delivery:Jun 2012

Pledge $45 or morePledge $45 or more

50 Backers• Limited Reward (50 of 100 remaining)

DVD of the film, poster and button.

Estimated Delivery:Sep 2012

Pledge $75 or morePledge $75 or more

1 Backer• Limited Reward (29 of 30 remaining)

Learn how to play chess or brush up your skills with a 2 hour Brooklyn Castle chess workshop taught by IS 318 chess instructors, IS 318 chess team members and/or Brooklyn Castle chess masters AND get your own Brooklyn Castle chess set.

Pledge $75 or morePledge $75 or more

11 Backers• Limited Reward (39 of 50 remaining)

A SPECIAL THANKS credit in the film and on our Brooklyn Castle website, a DVD of the film, poster and button.

Pledge $100 or morePledge $100 or more

1 Backer• Limited Reward (9 of 10 remaining)

Limited Reward: 30 of 30 remaining Learn how to play chess or brush up your skills with a 2 hour Brooklyn Castle chess workshop taught by IS 318 chess instructors, IS 318 chess team members and/or Brooklyn Castle chess masters, a Brooklyn Castle chess set AND signed copy of "The Kings of New York" by Michael Weinreb.

Pledge $100 or morePledge $100 or more

23 Backers• Limited Reward (77 of 100 remaining)

Chessboards signed by Brooklyn Castle cast and a DVD of the film.

Pledge $200 or morePledge $200 or more

3 Backers• Limited Reward (7 of 10 remaining)

Copies of the Immortal Game signed by author David Shenk, a DVD of the film, poster and button.

Pledge $500 or morePledge $500 or more

2 BackersSOLD OUT (0 of 2 remaining)

Be our guest at the Brooklyn Castle film festival premiere (date TBA). Sorry, travel not included. You'll also get a DVD of the film.

Pledge $1,000 or morePledge $1,000 or more

0 Backers• Limited Reward (2 of 2 remaining)

All of the above AND be our special guest at a Brooklyn Castle film festival screening of your choice. One night hotel stay and dinner included.

Estimated Delivery:Apr 2012

Pledge $5,000 or morePledge $5,000 or more

1 Backer• Limited Reward (1 of 2 remaining)

This ANGEL gets all of the above and an ASSOCIATE PRODUCER credit which will be seen in the film's credit roll, on IMDB and on BrooklynCastle.com.

Estimated Delivery:Apr 2012

Project By

Katie_nelson.large

Has not connected their Facebook account.

Brooklyn Castle is made by Rescued Media, a Brooklyn based production company started by husband and wife team Katie Dellamaggiore and Nelson Dellamaggiore.

Katie is a documentary producer and director whose work has appeared on MTV, A&E, HBO/Cinemax and VH1. She has held various production and outreach roles on award-winning documentaries including 39 Pounds of Love, To Die in Jerusalem, 51 Birch Street and American Teen. Katie co-produced After the Storm, a nonprofit theater and film project that used art to revitalize the lives of young people in post-Katrina New Orleans, and directed, produced and shot UR Life Online, a documentary about cyber bullying, for A&E Classroom.

Nelson is a three-time Emmy Award Nominated Editor, most notably for Single Camera Editing on A&E’s UR Life Online. He was also nominated for his work on Super Bowl XLI and The Wizard at 95 for ESPN. He’s worked on a wide variety of formats, from MTV’s TRL to The Tony Awards and The Beijing Olympic Games. Nelson is a graduate of the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications.

Katie's brother Brian Schulz is Director of Photography/Producer. Brian is a three-time New York Emmy Award winning cinematographer for Major League Baseball Productions. As one of MLB’s lead cinematographers he is dispatched across the country to capture the game’s most dramatic images. His work behind the camera can be found in network promos and specials, World Series DVDs and the EMMY winning YES Yankeeography series. Brian is a graduate of the University of Connecticut.

It's a family affair.

1. brooklyncastle.com
gregkurrell

Someone told me they liked a chess movie called "Queen to Move"  Has anyone seen it, and if so, did you like it?

KingPatrickVII

There was a movie of which I cannot recall the title that contained a thread with Sean Connery telling his opponent that he had mate in five moves. The opponent asked, "Why would you tell me that?" to which Sean replied, "Because I have mate in three!" I believe it was centered around a prison. Maybe "The Rock?"

But my all-time favorite, until I see some of these other films suggested, is Searching for Bobby Fischer. As we have watched this over and over, discovering the subtle layers of metaphor such as the 'chess game' that is going on between Ben Kingsley and the mother over contempt/winning vs. decency/fun etc., this movie has inspired all three of our young boys to love chess. (And to want an Isle of Man chess set!)

fredm73

Queen to Play. Charming French movie about a woman who finds herself in chess.

ShaggyZ

I enjoyed the movie "Ivory Tower".

nickkohl

Queens Gambit

perimeter3

I enjoyed The Luzhin Defence (starring Turturro as champion), Searching for Bobby Fischer, The Chess Players (by S.Ray)

mpaetz

"Chess Fever", a short Soviet film from 1925, is interesting. They used the Moscow International Tournament of 1925, filming the contestants on the street and cutting in those scenes--including ones where the actors talk to Capablanca--as part of the plot (easy to do in a silent where the dialogue is just written intercuts). Capablanca has a lot of screen time.