Forums

When I get to 1600...

Sort:
JG27Pyth

The detect irony failometer is red-lining on this whole thread.

Maradonna

Most c-lebs like to go a bit of the rails a couple years after their success. If you hit 1600 in 2010 I predict you'll become best friends with Paris Hilton and have a string of DUI's and an ankle tag by 2012.

as an aside you've got the best trophy i've seen :)

victhestick
Maradonna wrote:

Most c-lebs like to go a bit of the rails a couple years after their success. If you hit 1600 in 2010 I predict you'll become best friends with Paris Hilton and have a string of DUI's and an ankle tag by 2012.

as an aside you've got the best trophy i've seen :)

Kudos go to Karl on the cool trophies.  He admins a number of great groups.  As far as the predictions go we have to wait and see. 

marvellosity
JG27Pyth wrote:

Rofl. Indeed.

Kernicterus
rich wrote:

Usually in CC in this format, you can spend hours on just one move! Isn't that what turn based is all about?

Yes, I don't really have an interest in that sort of chess...with computers, in fact, I can just look up the best move if I really care about objective truth on a board. 

If I want to improve my "power" or "skill", I think crutches would hurt that.

DPenn
JG27Pyth wrote:

I want a detect irony failometer.  Do you get them for donating to Stephen Colbert's fund drive for NBC's coverage of the olympics?

Madeinthemind

cockiness shouldn't creep in, it should be a sense of achievement. forget these stupid resolutions.

Kernicterus

rich...I try to think long and hard...but I stop when it it isn't fun or satisfying anymore.

victhestick
AfafBouardi wrote:

rich...I try to think long and hard...but I stop when it it isn't fun or satisfying anymore.

With a little word play I could really fine tune this comment.

Think about it.

I also promise not to be smart a** when I hit 1600.

Kernicterus

yikes.  I could have at least done without the "satisfying".  That's over the top.

Cystem_Phailure
Maradonna wrote:

I predict you'll become best friends with Paris Hilton and have a string of DUI's and an ankle tag by 2012.

Ankle tags are great!  More time under house arrest means more time for Internet chess! Cool

--Cystem

chessoholicalien
victhestick wrote:

They say a man's rating is an extension of his ego.  The bigger the number, the smaller the...

Carlsen's gonna be a hit with the ladies then... :)

Kernicterus
chessoholicalien wrote:
victhestick wrote:

They say a man's rating is an extension of his ego.  The bigger the number, the smaller the...

Carlsen's gonna be a hit with the ladies then... :)

I've already hit that.  And I can vouch that the bigger the rating, the bigger the...

chessoholicalien
AfafBouardi wrote:

And I can vouch that the bigger the rating, the bigger the...

I'd be willing to test that hypothesis with you :)

bigpoison

Chess truth--that's so funny.  You religious types crack me up.

Kernicterus

Well, I assure you if the inverse pans out...you wouldn't be testing much...but I could take a picture for the sake of scientific evidence.

SlipperySims

Don't forget--once you reach 1600, you have to play consistently well to remain there or above.   I was at 1640 late last summer, thought I could do no wrong (or close), made some mistakes (haste, too many games etc.), and have been struggling to get back up there. 

electricpawn

I've crossed the 2000 threshold a couple times, but I didn't feel any stronger. I guess its true that turn based means NOTHING NOTHING.

ineed2love1
bigpoison wrote:

Chess truth--that's so funny.  You religious types crack me up.

DMX21x1

You guys put too much stock in ratings.