Forums

who do you think is the best chess player in chess history?

Sort:
mvtjc

OMFG, THIS TYPE OF THREAD AGAIN, HAHA! THIS IS GONNA BE SO FUNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............................................

Polar_Bear
Estragon wrote:
Polar_Bear wrote:
Estragon wrote:

So, then, when were players overall stronger than Carlsen, Anand, Kramnik, Aronian, Radjabov, Karjakin, Caruana, Ivanchuk, Topalov, et al, ever active?

1) 1890-1910 era: Lasker, Janowski, Marshall, Blackburne, Teichmann, Burn, Duras, Maroczy, Schlechter, Charousek, Tarrasch, Chigorin

2) 1950-1965 era: Botvinnik, Bronstein, Smyslov, Tal, Petrosian, Keres, Geller, Gligoric, Korchnoi, Larsen

Sorry, neither is even close.

But thanks for playing, and do enjoy our Home Version™ as a consolation prize!

I am fully entitled to disagree with your absurd & unfounded claims and write my own. Cool

P.S.

Or do you seriously believe Carlsen can play chess better than Philidor? Surprised

makikihustle

Paul Morphy.

"Morphy was probably the greatest genius of them all... Perhaps the most accurate player who ever lived... I've played over hundreds of his games and am continually surprised and entertained by his ingenuity." - Bobby Fischer 

"To this day Morphy is an unsurpassed master..." - Mikhail Botvinnik

"Morphy was a chess genius in the complete sense of the word." - Max Euwe

"There is no doubt that for Morphy chess was an art, and for chess Morphy was a great artist. His play was captivated by freshness of thought and inexhaustible energy... He played, if one can express it so, 'pure chess'."  - Vasily Smyslov

"The radiant combinations of this chess genius can be compared with the transparent music of Mozart." - Anatoly Karpov

"The magnificent American master had the most extraordinary brain that anybody has ever had for chess." - Jose Capablanca

"What was the secret of Morphy's invincibility?" - Garry Kasparov

"In a set match, Morphy would beat anybody alive today." - Bobby Fischer

"He who plays with Morphy must abandon all hope..." - Adolph Anderssen

Davenik

Fischer was definately a genius, probaly the same can be said of Magnus nowadays. Keep your eye on Caruana

TetsuoShima
Steve212000 wrote:

I heard Magnus plays weak in the opening.

it weird yesterday i thought the same when i watched a video of an nm, wich ironically also reminded me Carlsen, Christiansen and Nakamura. Maybe the key to chess strength is to ignore openings ;)

riveraso

The best chess player in history is Paul Morphy. The player that has played the best chess ever is Magnus Carlsen. 

Ziryab

Gioachino Greco was the first master. All modern chess tactics are footnotes to his labors.

WittyBonkers

LeBron James is the best chess player i have ever seen.

ColonelKnight

Welcome respite from the unending banality.

WittyBonkers wrote:

LeBron James is the best chess player i have ever seen.

WittyBonkers

lol

john456852

CARLSEN

nemo100

Fischer and Carlsen

Polar_Bear
JohnClairlively wrote:

In various studies, Capablanca, Fischer, Kramnik, and Carlsen have all come out on top when comparing percentages of moves they made to computer-perfect moves. Depending on the difficulty of the positions arising in the games, these percentages have ranged from a bit over 50% up to approaching 80%.

ThrillerFan and Pfren routinely hit 100%.

So they are obviously #1 and #1A of all time in strength.  With only Gonnosuke being a close rival.

You can't remember Gonnosuke as he hasn't been around since August 2011, can you?

Computer-like accuracy isn't the only factor in human chess, and also not the most important one. Lasker, Marshall, Tal, Bronstein and Larsen were significantly stronger players than Kramnik, though less "accurate".

Ziryab

Rezső Charousek