Forums

Who else with Average IQ sucks at Chess ( lol ) ?

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts. Zborg, at one time many years ago I was also a fan of Southern Comfort ( straight with Beer as a chaser ). Ah the mis-spent times of youth  lol.

CaptainPike, nice of you to stop by, I also have a thread on the go about Star Trek. I enjoyed both of the episodes that Captain Pike appeared in during the first series.     

cabadenwurt

Well my only answer to that statement can be: do you really think so  lol ? 

AndyClifton

This coming from a big blue amoeba with a hat.

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

Zborg, at one time many years ago I was also a fan of Southern Comfort ( straight with Beer as a chaser ).     

Eek, that stuff is evil! (that and Yukon Jack).  No wonder Janis died.

browni3141
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks for the recent posts. One question that comes up often is what does an approved IQ test measure ( besides the ability to memorize items ) ? On the other hand if every one of us has a different talent or ability how can we test people to ensure that these talents or abilities are discovered ?

I really don't think that memory is the main thing IQ tests measure. It's true that a lot of them will ask general knowledge questions, which is testing your ability to learn and remember things, but this is usually not the majority.

AndyClifton

They measure your ability to stack blocks.  That's about it.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts. I just noticed something funny: that other thread, where all of the High IQ types were chatting away about how smart they all are has been locked ( rofl --- ). They got into such deep water that they disappeared from sight, now that is deep, very very deep  lol.   

MinxVishous

I have ADHD and find playing chess on the computer so hard, it is by far different from playing people on a real board. The moves i make on here are careless, never thought through and often done because i have no strategy yet lol often i ask myself after i make a move...

'why the hell did i move there?..stupid...argh!' *face-palm* lol

I have never done an IQ test before *shrugs* its not important, all i know is i get A's in all my classes at uni but i can't spell lol if that makes me dum di dumbo..Oh wellCool

zborg

I have a 2300 rated Armenian friend who simply can't play online (with a two dimensional board), as on Chess.com.  It's a weird perception problem.  He needs an OTB game, even when studying positions from a book.

You might also have a variation of that problem.

netzach
[COMMENT DELETED]
cabadenwurt

Well we do seem to be wandering away somewhat from the topic of this thread ( a drifting thread on the internet, Hmmmm ). Very early in this thread I mentioned that it would be impossible to verify any IQ levels mentioned here as no proofs can be checked on-line. As for any insults that were used in other threads, they will be of no use at all in the discussion that is going on here.  

netzach
[COMMENT DELETED]
netzach
[COMMENT DELETED]
cabadenwurt

If we check the title of this thread then we will see the word AVERAGE, so I'm not sure how many MENSA candidates we should let in here lol. Rude comments will not move this discussion forward at all and are not useful at all.

netzach
[COMMENT DELETED]
cabadenwurt

Thanks Netzach, no problem. People don't get along all of the time ( we are funny that way  lol ).

netzach
[COMMENT DELETED]
cabadenwurt

One of the other threads that I've got on the go here covers TV shows of the past and thinking about that subject brought something to mind that could fit into this thread. The Ed Sullivan show had been mentioned in that other thread and Ed's program was the " Godzilla " of the Variety show format but there were quite a number of others as well including the Smothers Brothers. The show that these Brothers produced included some Comedy which they were very good at and also some Music & Singing, which they were not bad at either. The surprise element in our equation here however was the Yo-Yo ! Yes Tommy Smothers was well known as having real talent with the Yo-Yo and could do many fancy tricks with that little toy. Now I realise that Yo-Yo tricks are not on the same plane as being a World Class Golfer or getting the Nobel Prize for Chemistry ( or Literature etc ), however at a point in time where people get some fame for odd things such as Cow-pie throwing or eating  the most Hamburgers any talent seems to be in demand. The point in regards to the Yo-Yo tricks is that only a very limited number of people have that talent. Of course a lot of practice is needed to develop any type of talent. This brings us back to a question from earlier in this thread, if we accept the fact that IQ tests do measure one type of intellgence then how can we test for the many other types of talents and abilities that people may have ( eg: in Sports, or Art, or Music, or tossing Cow-pies etc etc ). So how many Janitors could be Opera Singers or High Wire Artists or even Chess GMs ? A unknown number IMO  lol.       

cabadenwurt

Well I see that we have a new contender among the threads here that want to answer the question of " What is What in Chess ". The High IQ thread has been locked however now we have a thread that deals with the question of what precentage of Chess ability is skill ? So far we have discussed IQ as well as talent and/or ability, now we should add skill as well ( plus luck of course ). A problem with the word Skill is are we talking about a learned skill such as being able to read and write or perhaps a " natural skill " such as being able to run fast or having a photographic memory ? Then again, are we lucky enough to have any type of a skill ( and what is the percentage of that possibility  lol ) ?  

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

Rude comments will not move this discussion forward at all and are not useful at all.

That's blatant polite-ism!