Forums

Who is the best chess player in the world?

Sort:
kiwichesskiwi

Randomemory - Carlsen in 2012 - something like:

Total games 111, wins 52, losses, 14, draws 45.

chess_cake

Garry Kasparov

GiorgiVanDerway

Kramnik

Rnewms

Carlsen

baphymet

who cares

kiwichesskiwi

Obviously pastakinglegend cares. Let him be.

SmyslovFan

If we were in a football forum, would baphymet also ask "who cares" when a question of who the best quarterback came up?

This is a chess forum. I'm guessing most of us are chess fans. And so, most of us care who's best.

Mandy711

Kasparov. Carlsen had surpass only Kasparov's elo. He must surpass Kasparov's tournaments and WCC performance to become the best chess player.

Ivanosky

SmyslovFan wrote:

If we were in a football forum, would baphymet also ask "who cares" when a question of who the best quarterback came up?

This is a chess forum. I'm guessing most of us are chess fans. And so, most of us care who's best.End quote

I would say who cares because at least we do not do a poll there are different criteria to determine the best

So also after one hundreds page somebody will say Kasparov ,Carlsen, Anand and everybody will suggest his or her favourite player , the point is that from a statistic point of view is not reliable and also everybody knows the top 20 30 of all times favorite chess players. So at last there aren t nice jokes is not easy and productive to reply on that imo.especially considerinb that a lot of competent players in the forum could just decide to not express their insightful opinion

pastakinglegend

DaBigOne 1

Bieber 1

Carlsen 9.5

Annand 1

Bongcloud 1

Capablanca 1

Kramnik 0.5

Laker 1

Houdindi 1

Stevie65 1

pastakinglegend

more votes for Stevie65 than Kramnik

SystematiChaos

Deep (Blue) Purple Tongue Out

RomyGer

In post nr 13 as-Suli is mentioned as "proverbial", widely known, and also in addition to posts 21, 29 and 30 I might add the following, quoted from the Even More Complete Chess Addict by Fox and James :

As-Suli ( his full name was Abu-Bakr Muhammed Ben Yahya as-Suli ) lived from 880 till 946 in Turkey/Persia and was Shatranj Champion from 905 till 940.

The court favourite al-Mawardi ( under Caliph al-Muktafi ) lost his title around 905 AD to the legendary as-Suli, the first " all-time great" of chess history.

Finally he lost his title in 940 AD to al-Lajlaj, his pupil.    According to Fox and James one of their games is the oldest recorded game of chess, and it starts f3 f6 / f4 f5 / Nf3 Nf6 / g3 g6 / Rg1 Rg8 / h3 h6 / e3 e6 / g4 , all according to the rules of Shatranj at that time.

RichDavisson

Carlsen is undoubtedly the strongest active player. As for the best player of all time, Kasparov has had a more impressive career than the phenom. In time, if Carlsen continues on his path, he will surpass Kasparov. But until then, Kasparov remains the best chess player in history.

konhidras

Chess Network

Stevie65
pastakinglegend wrote:

more votes for Stevie65 than Kramnik

Yeee!  This is what makes it fun!  Can my wife and 36 kids vote by proxy through me, they think i'm the best chess player they've ever known,however my wife does not think i'm the best player of chess..Hmmm..

Anyhow.... As the title is in the present tense, i am inclined to vote for a contemporary chess player and as Annand may not of spent all his winnings yet, i know who is the best at playing chess.  I will be back soon i must canvas my campaign..Hehehe!

batgirl
duck_and_cover wrote:

When shatranj came to Europe it was called chess.

Here's what Murray had to say:
"All that the European player received with chess [from the Musilms] was the bare rules of play and a number of End-game positions, problems or exercises with the pieces. The whole development of the game in Europe is European from start to finish...
one of the most striking pieces of evidence for the passage of chess from one people to another has been in the fact that the name of the game was transmitted together with the game itself.  Thus Sanscript chaturanga became the Persian chatranj, and the Persian chatranj became both the Greek zatrukion and the Arabic shatranj.  It is noteworthy that the same thing did not happen when the Arabic shatranj became a European game.   The Spanish ajedrez and the Portuguese xandrez are both descended from the Arabic ash-shatranj. Elsewhere in Europe - and even in the Catalan dialect of North-East Spain - chess received a new name... which was never used in Arabic in the sense of 'the game of chess'"

zborg

@Stevie65.  With a meteoric rise through the ranks.   The People's Champion.  Smile

duck_and_cover

Batgirl:

Sorry, but I don't get the point of your post. I don't see any contradiction to what I wrote. Or was your post meant to be affirmative?

Defence4Gizchehs
FEDTEL wrote:

Houdini 3

From a seemingly reliable source, I have heared that Rybka 4 ( or 3 ) is better than Houdini 3 in ' Longer ' Time Controls [ Corresponda{e}nce Chess }