Forums

Who is the best chess player in the world?

Sort:
SmyslovFan

Great. A discussion of  the meaning of the word "is". Didn't we do that before?

ilikecapablanca

Pfft!

royalbishop
Estragon wrote:
kiwichesskiwi wrote:

Yes only that's if you make the assumption that  the question implies "living best player" and not "current best player".  I would think that since we are talking about living players, sense would suggest we also mean current best player. I am a great Kasparov fan but, if Carlsen and Kasparov were to play today.  Who would win?  I think that is actual and the most pertinent question.  Who is the world's current best player if they played today!!  That should be the title of this forum. It's Carlsen.

If they played today, certainly Carlsen.  But Kasparov is still young enough to regain his sharpness by playing a few tournaments over a year or two.  Then, it would be interesting for a number of years, but I expect Carlsen would surpass him at some early point.

This is the same as another forum a months ago and your words are almost exactly word for word as my friend said a month ago. nice try.

royalbishop

Estragon list your references when you leave comments.

royalbishop
Estragon wrote:
royalbishop wrote:

Estragon list your references when you leave comments.

Ariel Mengarini would vouch for me, but unfortunately he is currently deceased.  Or were you asking for credit references?

Now i know to only take cash from you and not credit.

I heard those almost exact words about a week ago.

royalbishop

Best player?  More like most popular player be honest. That is who would win. Then to defend your choice by some stats.

InfiniteFlash

The chess world is in chaos, when anand has only won 4 professionally rated games in the past 365 days.

royalbishop

I hope he wins 0 in the next 800 days. Nothing against him just his loyal supporters. They need to be brought down a notch or 2.

royalbishop

So do I ! lol

PresenceOfGreatness

tal for his awsome sacrifices and for being the best aggressive chess player ever ,carlsen for the highest rating ever and kasparov for his 20 years of being the champ and for one year of going undefeated !!! not a big fan of fischer !!! so nope to fischer !!

royalbishop

Problem solved ..... no way to argue with that one.

kiwichesskiwi

I can't believe that this has gone on for 7 pages lol  It's CARLSEN duh.

Carlsen and finished.

pastakinglegend

Really, Stevie 65 is still doing rather well

royalbishop

I though  George Bush was......

Man that guy can manipulate a  situation.

Rasparovov

Houdini

kiwichesskiwi

Ok ok ok, just this once I was wrong.  It's Stockfish!

cartmankyle

The greatest Chess player in the world is this guy. I've heard great things about him.

http://www.chess.com/members/view/cartmankyle

royalbishop

Only one way to settle this ....

listen up and listen up good.

we are going to settle this and have answer......

now i have the perfect person to do it...

Ok you, do have her on  speed dial not we going to get to the bottom of this.

Call her call Judge Judy and get a fair answer here.

azziralc

Garry Kasparov

MonsterTactics
SerbianChessStar wrote:

Carlsen obviously.

Have you ever seen a player 50 points ahead of the field in the modern era where top players play perfect? Nope.

Top players certainly do not play perfect